Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Moonstone Campdraft in indirect light and direct evening light. This color mostly looks a medium gray but tends to shift apparent color based on light a bit. Goes from medium gray to light gray almost silver and sometimes it looks light brownish. Did not expect that much color shift. It is a lighter color than my Gannon steel beaver.

View attachment 277183
View attachment 277184
Has anyone compared the campdraft moonstone to the Fed IV moonstone? I always assumed they were the same color but the campdrafts I've seen look different than the fed. The fed definitely goes on the blue end of the grey spectrum.

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
RM Williams Campdraft today. FB_IMG_1605396773646.jpg FB_IMG_1605396777852.jpg FB_IMG_1605396782411.jpg

Scooterz

Practically Family
Has anyone compared the campdraft moonstone to the Fed IV moonstone? I always assumed they were the same color but the campdrafts I've seen look different than the fed. The fed definitely goes on the blue end of the grey spectrum.

I have never seen the Fed IV in person, the moonstone Fed in pictures looks lighter to me than the CD does. Someone could send me a moonstone Fed so I could do a comparison ;).

Boomerang

One of the Regulars
I have one of each, so I just took them outside to look at them in our overcast and diffuse daylight. My Fed IV is a slightly lighter shade of grey, with a hint to more blue, compared to the CDD.

Scooterz

Practically Family

Here you go. Boomerang made me a very generous deal on a Fed IV in moonstone so here it is with my moonstone CD. To my eye in person the Fed looks a little bit darker and more charcoal than my CD. Probably just varies slightly from lot to lot. The Fed looks a little bit more blue tinted in photos than it does in person.

IMG_0443aa.jpg IMG_0426aa.jpg IMG_0433aa.jpg
IMG_0447aa.jpg This outdoor photo is probably the most representative of actual color.

Attachments

• IMG_0435aa.jpg
    IMG_0435aa.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 524

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
Here you go. Boomerang made me a very generous deal on a Fed IV in moonstone so here it is with my moonstone CD. To my eye in person the Fed looks a little bit darker and more charcoal than my CD. Probably just varies slightly from lot to lot. The Fed looks a little bit more blue tinted in photos than it does in person.

View attachment 283401 View attachment 283398 View attachment 283399
View attachment 283400 This outdoor photo is probably the most representative of actual color.
I have two Moonstone Fed IVs and the same CD and I agree, the felt on the Fed IV is definitely more blue.

MagicMan

New in Town
Other than measuring my head with a tape, I have no idea what size Akubra I will wear. In addition, I will definitely need an extra-long oval.
So, how can this be accomplished? I am nowhere near any Akubra dealer that I am aware of.

johnnycanuck

The local Costco I go to has a gentleman working at the door that wears an Akubra Snowy River. Over the years it has stayed the same. Now I take care of my hats but my Snowy River that I don’t wear every day has softened, relaxed, the sides have come down. The crown isn’t as crisp as it was new. So today I decided to compliment him on his hat and see how he keeps it so good.... the one he was wearing that day is only a week old. Now I am curious how often he buys a new hat that is exactly the same as his old hat?!? I guess if it’s your trademark look, stick with it.
So here is my Snowy River from 2003.
25FB820A-2FCC-4947-BFE3-076578A93C95.jpeg

DC813340-A77F-4DD1-AF30-85CA2BD5690D.jpeg

6CC3C0B1-9E8D-4ABF-8D37-79AD0A7C5D81.jpeg

Johnny

johnnycanuck

Oh, we're doing Snowy Rivers now, are we?

Here's mine that I bought new in 1987. I'm Australian and this is a perfectly acceptable condition for an Akubra in its native land. :D View attachment 289086 :D
Now that’s a well loved hat! BTW how does one loose a hat band? I have seen it before but can’t imagine how it happens.
Wear it in good health, and welcome to the lounge.
Johnny

Oh, we're doing Snowy Rivers now, are we?

Here's mine that I bought new in 1987. I'm Australian and this is a perfectly acceptable condition for an Akubra in its native land. :D View attachment 289086 :D
First, welcome to The Lounge! Second, I see nothing wrong with that Snowy River, especially considering it's age. I always enjoy seeing the hats that have been well loved and well worn for any period of time.

manga_blue

New in Town
Thank you everyone! I have been lurking hear for years. It was seeing pics of one of my favourite old hats that prompted me to post.

How do you lose a band? It's quite easy. I bought this as a working hat and it's always been that. Years of sun and salt from perspiration makes the bands crumble. This one has lost the original and then a plaited roo skin replacement that way. Nowadays I wear it a lot for ocean kayaking, so it gets encrusted with salt. It wasn't worth dressing it up a third time.

In our region it's just not the done thing to wear a new hat in town. When I wear this one I always get lots of compliments. Character is everything in a hat here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ