Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Another damp day under my Akubra Angler.
20231106_143248.jpg

One Drop

One of the Regulars
II've worn my Bushman in the rain for hours at a time on countless occasions, recently the sweatband started shrinking noticeably and also drying out somewhat. I have noticed that the Akubra sweats that have shrunk will dry out to their original size after soaking if worn until dry, so I ordered a Hat jack from Hats by the Hundred on eBay to use when drying my Akubras out after a drenching.

I moisturised the leather before trying it out, it had started to get quite dry and brittle from the repeated soakings, and had also become a bit wavy at the edges from my attempts to stretch it out by hand (not recommended!).

I tried It out a few days ago after some really heavy rains, it worked amazingly well and also incidentally pulled the hat body back into perfect shape, it had started to get a bit wonky and asymmetrical and the brim was curling unevenly. I can heartily recommend this device to anyone with similar problems, you can really fine tune the final size if you're careful; I snugged the device up to the correct size after the band had softened from being soaked, and tested the size before the hat had completely dried out as that's when the size seems to set, at the final drying stage. Worked perfectly and the sweatband sits perfectly flat again.

I had been a bit concerned about letting the hat dry out with the stretcher in place, but the unfinished wood used is very porous and it allowed the sweatband to dry out very quickly.

StoryPNW

Practically Family

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I saw their FB post earlier today, I wonder how this will affect quality and availability?
The new owner also bought RM Williams and if their management of that property is any indication, availability might actually expand.

The new owner has committed to keeping Akubra’s factory in country (I think it’s in Queensland? I’d have to look again, I can’t remember).

Edit: the factory is in Kempsey, New South Wales.

Last edited:

The Shooman

Practically Family
I saw their FB post earlier today, I wonder how this will affect quality and availability?

Twiggy also took over R.M.Williams. Prices have continued to rise and quality has gone down. Twiggy wants Akubra to become global, so l suspect he will want it to become a brand name.

Twiggy's purchase bothers me. He comes across as a soulless businessman. He is in bed with the Chinese Communist Party and thinks like a globalist.

"As reported by The Australian, Twiggy’s Fortescue Metals Group – the low-cost, low-quality iron ore producer that made its billions off the rapid militarisation of the CCP"

I fear he may sell the company one day to undesirables, ie, globalists who will manufacture aussie brands in third world countries. I wouldn't put it past Twiggy to manufacture in China. He has all the power now. Those family owned companies are gone.

Who?

Practically Family
Does anyone have a hint as to why the Kiers got out?

I have very mixed feelings, and I think it’s sad to see something like this happen.

Will there be “pre-sale” and “post-sale” Akubras now? “Original” Akubras and “Twiggy” Akubras? “Family“ Akubras and “Global“ Akubras?

Last edited:

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Shopping run on this public holiday. In the spirit of abbreviating all things Akubra, I present the Akubra SM.
View attachment 563063 View attachment 563064
My view can’t match Simeon’s, but I still enjoy looking out the window at this. I just wish they’d put the power lines underground.
View attachment 563065
Thanks Gary, I wouldn't have thought to call that an SM :)

I would like to see the views there someday though. What a cool part of the world you live in.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Thanks Gary, I wouldn't have thought to call that an SM :)

I would like to see the views there someday though. What a cool part of the world you live in.
No time like the present, especially with the way the yen is now.
We’d love to get over there at some stage, too, but not at 150 yen to the dollar.

G MAN

One of the Regulars
I have a habit of wearing my newest hat all the time, which is my Fed IV Deluxe in Brown.
But today I choose to wear a hat I haven't worn in awhile.
Its the Akubra Kiandra, It's probably my most western looking felt that I have and today I could see that it gets a lot of looks that may be because no one wears a cowboy hat around here or maybe people just think it looks that good that they can't help but stare.
Kiandra.jpg

My R M Williams....worried about the Akubra buy out as R M has terrible customer service...this hat arrived loose in a box AND had some mothing evident. To return I would have to pay the shipping even after they acknowledged the photo's I sent of the mothing. Just how the hell are they storing these???? And shipping loose in a box??? Any way I ended up just keeping it. I re-flanged the brim, re-blocked and creased the crown. Got rid of most of the mothing. I do love the color.....:rolleyes:
1701894836101.png
1701894870680.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24