Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
The Chief of the Crease Police will be pleased. VERY nice job especially for first attempt.

You're right about that, Deputy Swoopy. High Pockets -- heckuva nice job on that crease! :)

Cheers,
JtL

Duper

Practically Family
Hey triple F, Those are some fine looking hats. I like the colour of both. Note the spelling of "color". Yup, I reside in the far north as well. Your comment about a less formal hat with a parka hit a chord with me. Now I have to decide if a Fed IV or a Campdraft will be my next accusition from from the folks down under before the Fall hits. Seems like the scales may have tipped towards CD.

Then I look at Chuck B's carbon grey Fed IV and the scales start shifting.

Perhaps the wise man orders them both to save on the shipping?? :)

Goose.

Practically Family
FurFeltFedora said:
...Well Goose I hope this answers some of your questions and Chuck and the rest of the Thin Ribbon Society - am I in? Even if I did trim the ribbon and cut the wind trolley? :p

Cross posted in the "Akubra Campdraft" thread

And the answer is; "Goose is going to get a CD". Been putting it off too long.

When you cut off that umbilical cord...does it leave a mark or other hint that you just whacked something off?

Think I'll get Silver Belly to round out my colors.

Thanks Triple F.

And Chuck, wish I could wear a bash like your Carbon. My Herman Munster noggin is simply too tall :(

Nice pics gentlemen. Thank you for taking the time to share.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Duper said:
Hey triple F, Those are some fine looking hats. I like the colour of both. Note the spelling of "color". Yup, I reside in the far north as well. Your comment about a less formal hat with a parka hit a chord with me. Now I have to decide if a Fed IV or a Campdraft will be my next accusition from from the folks down under before the Fall hits. Seems like the scales may have tipped towards CD.

Then I look at Chuck B's carbon grey Fed IV and the scales start shifting.

Perhaps the wise man orders them both to save on the shipping?? :)

Duper,

The cd does come in glen grey...

IMG_3462-1-1-2.jpg

The carbon is a little darker...

FedIV_carb_sd_2-1.jpg

I can't help much with your decision. Maybe the comparison shots will help a little. I wear my CD's with a parka, but I think the Fed goes with a parka also. I have a grey trenchcoat when I need to be dressier and the carbon should match up nicely with it and a black raincoat. I like the profile of both the CD and Fed. The CD is definately bigger and approaches a Western look, IMO. Good luck.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose, I think you'll love the CD. I always wanted the silverbelly too.

Here's an old shot of my Tawny Fawn. The ribbon on the CD's used to be thinner, so it gets kind of curly on the end, but that is just part of it's charm to me. The ribbon on my grey CD is the newer, slightly wider style. I love them both.

CD_3.jpg

I'll have to update my photos of this CD, I have the brim curled in the front now.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:

And Chuck, wish I could wear a bash like your Carbon. My Herman Munster noggin is simply too tall :(

Thanks Goose, I was trying to copy some vintage hats I've seen here.

Honestly, the bash on your Feds is fantastic and you shouldn't change a thing. :)

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Goose there is no evidence of a wind trolley once you cut it off. The string is sewn to the hat under the bow of the ribbon. Just pull the wind trolley string taut, cut as close as you can and it's like it was never there.

Duper, glad you understand where I'm coming from :) Your best bet is to get both. It's really the only logical solution. No, honestly.

Tone

A-List Customer
Green-ish undertones or "GREEN" better wear something green to make it work?

billyspew said:
Bluegrass Green Camp Draft - this really is a deep dark green - really hard to shoot.
3596085602_2ca5566a3a_m.jpg
3596085332_8038e5849f_m.jpg
3596085862_9be27d7ae9_m.jpg

Enjoy, TTFN,

Bill

Bill, you posted this useful tidbit a while ago and it must have gotten buried rather quickly as I missed it the first time out. Glad I went back to look at some early Campdraft submissions.

When you mention that it's hard to shoot (Willow Green), do you mean the deeper green doesn't pick up in pictures as green as it actually is in person? Or does it look fairly close to what's seen in these shots?

Based on your eclectic collection, how often do you find yourself sporting the Willow Green?

Thanks much.

Goose.

Practically Family
Tone said:
...I understand you didn't have time to put the Squatter into a taller pinch to balance out that brim but I can tell by the depth of your diamond pinch in this picture below that it will also look great with the crown worn taller. (Reducing the perception of the brim being so wide in comparison to the crown.)
Angles and character here! SHARP comes to mind ...
Tone said:
...Goose, this in no way is meant to imply anything less than a superior job on your hat! It reminds me of a sturdy Borsalino Allesandria (sp?) actually. Love those! I like it! Just speculating balance of crown to brim is all. :) ...
No worries, I like Chuck's too. But thanks Tone :) That's a good thought on the taller crown. That would change the width perspective indeed. Guess I've just come to like the lower front. Nonetheless, perhaps I'll goof with it someday.
CRH said:
The Squatter is what it is and I think you've done a fine job of pulling out some cool style from that low down 5 1/4 crown ;). How do you like the big brim for sun protection, Goose?...

Thanks CRH. The brim is great for shade. A family of gnomes could have a picnic in the shade under that hat. I really do like it. Am pleased with the muted green tone of it as well. To me, the Willow Green looks dressier (more subdued) than my C.E.O Fern color.

Chuck Bobuck said:
Goose, I think you'll love the CD. I always wanted the silverbelly too.
Regarding my Fed bashing, thanks Chuck. Hopefully, soon I will too be wearing a CD.

Thanks also, to Triple F, for the smoothing tip on the inner radius. May try that, but my current Fed Tugboat Fleet seems to have settled and the "rustic" (AKA: "half ass") hand made look is ok w/ me. Just impressed with your works of perfection. Maybe an excuse for getting that CD to "practice" though ;)

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
so last saturday I recieved my squatter.:D
It was from a fine member here at the lounge. Thanks C. for the easy transaction. :D I restyled the crown a bit and took it down the Ocmulgee on Sunday. I have had a busy work week, so no pics of just the hat, but heres some on the river.
river.jpg

river1.jpg

Please excuse the goofy faces. This was at the take-out and I had been :beer: all day. lol

Goose.

Practically Family
MississippiLong...Sqautter looking like a "natural" on you :eusa_clap Looking like you had a blast too

Debated on where to post these pics..."Wearing Today" or the recently started "Brim Up/Down" thread.

Well, what the heck...this being the "Akubra Overload" thread works. This way, I won't waste time or bandwidth for those folks that aren't into Akubra hats...and, more importantly, I surmised, is that people considering an Akubra may scroll through this thread to see what us cool cats in the sandbox are wearing.

So, today it's the Akubra Hampton. Usually, I wear it brim snapped down...today I'm wearing it up just for the heck of it. Living on the edge :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

600498757_QsEyp-S.jpg
600723910_4Th2F-S-1.jpg

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
babs said:
That settles it. My next hat will be from across the Pacific.
NICE!
Babs, you won't regret it...the Akubras are great, all-around hats and have a dedicated following here.

Since receiving my Silverbelly Campdraft several months ago, that had been my go-to hat. My Tawny Fawn Fed IV hung on the hat rack, the proverbial red-headed stepchild, collecting dust. But my wife and I planned a road trip along the California coast, and after taking the CD to San Francisco a few weeks earlier--and knowing the weather report for Monterey and environs was cloudy and cool--I took along my Fed IV and a Miller Milan. Reacquainted, I've found new love for my Fed...what a great hat! Why did I let it sit idle for so long? I'm a renewed fan...that Moonstone may be in my future. Here we (the Fed and I) are in front of Clint Eastwood's old office, Carmel's City Hall:
IMG_1457.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jazzncocktails said:
...Reacquainted, I've found new love for my Fed...what a great hat! Why did I let it sit idle for so long? ...

[huh]

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder ;).

That's a cool jacket... the whole ensemble is right down my alley. Not hard to find a hat once that part is done :cool2:.

I wore my Campdraft to The Great Jones County Fair last night for the David Cook concert... Wow!

Not a felt hat in sight, not even a cowboy. Lot's of cowboy straws though ... :eusa_doh:.

Tone

A-List Customer
Been meaning to replace this AkAd with a new one for almost two-and-half years -but as I pulled it off the shelf today, I realized that, in its current state, I could salvage it into at least a Fed IV until then. [huh]

akadl1.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Tone said:
Been meaning to replace this AkAd with a new one for almost two-and-half years -but as I pulled it off the shelf today, I realized that, in its current state, I could salvage it into at least a Fed IV until then. [huh]

Salvage? I don't understand [huh].... It looks like a fine, well worn, and very cool, fedora to me.

Or is it just a dirty old hat?

Thanks, Tone. I'd like to see more well worn hats around here.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Tone said:

akadl1.jpg

Looks good to me. Did you trim the brim on that one?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Willow green spuatter has landed

I like this one! My wife fancies it her favorite color :).

Four point diamond with a kite - official term from the Chief ;). Noticeably less taper than my black squatter with a center dent.

I can't seem to reproduce the color properly with my inexpensive digital camera. I'll have to experiment with different light and when I get it right I'll post pics.

Now for the bad news :(. Upon close inspection there is some mottling of the felt dye where I sprayed tap water for the crease. With the light just right I can see some rust colored mottling, not something I could ever reproduce with a camera. It's still a keeper, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy