Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra sizes: true to the numbers?

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
In the considerable experience of the guys here, have you Akubra fans found that Akubra hats run true to the size the tape-measure says your head happens to be?

I've measured my noggin a bunch of times, it always comes out to 58 cm.
Does that mean I should really order a 58, or do you guys suggest going up to 59 (on the theory that it's better for a hat to be a little big than a little small)?

Thanks!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It depends on the crown shape. I got a FederationIV, a Squatter, and a Fedora in size 60, though I'm a 59. The Fedora, with its rounder (is that a word?) crown, is a little tight, but it's also a really soft and supple hat, so it's still comfortable. The Squatter and Federation both were just a tad too wide, but I like teardrop bashes so the crown touching the top of my noggin keeps those hats in the right place.
I'd say as long as you're talking oval crowns (assuming your head is oval shaped like most), it'd be best to order your actual size.

However keep in mind that HatsDirect states that their Federation model is blocked using an old block, so that the actual size is about a 1/2-size less than stated, so a 59 would be a 58.5, which should work for you.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Also, most hats aren't EXACT in their sizing. I requested a size 59 Campdraft that ran slightly larger, just in case. They found me a Campdraft that clocks in at 59.3, which should be perfect. I would talk with the vendor you're interested in and see if they could find a size 58 hat that runs slightly larger and let the sizing tape provided do the rest until the hat shrinks. If the hat ever becomes tight, you can just buy a hat stretcher.

If I'm wrong, someone please come in here and correct me. This is what I've learned from other Loungers and my own experiences, but I could always be wrong.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
The Akubra I owned was tagged as a 7 3/8 (59cm) and if it was not exactly that size than it was darned close. Comparison with a Scala, Stefano, and Dobbs 7 3/8's showed them to all be approximate to one another.

Dreamofgilgamesh

A-List Customer
Akubra hat sizes

Dear Group, I'm seriously considering buying an Akubra Stylemaster and i have looked at HatsDirect and Everythingaustralian. I measure my head as being just under 58 1/2cm. HatsDirect suggest that if the measurement is between whole numbers to go down a size, i.e 58cm. Everythingaustralian suggests that i go up 1 size, i.e. 59cm.

I'm confused guys. Are Akubra hats true to the stated sizes? Are they prone to a slight shrinkage? Given to postage cost to the UK and my fear of having to return it if too small would it be prudent to get the 59cm?

Thanks for your help chaps

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Dear Group, I'm seriously considering buying an Akubra Stylemaster and i have looked at HatsDirect and Everythingaustralian. I measure my head as being just under 58 1/2cm. HatsDirect suggest that if the measurement is between whole numbers to go down a size, i.e 58cm. Everythingaustralian suggests that i go up 1 size, i.e. 59cm.

I'm confused guys. Are Akubra hats true to the stated sizes? Are they prone to a slight shrinkage? Given to postage cost to the UK and my fear of having to return it if too small would it be prudent to get the 59cm?

I wear a 59 and have always bought 60's and after a few rainstorms and sweatings they fit just fine. Since you are just in-between a full size as i guess I am, I would sugest going up to the 59 and let it shrink down with wear. JMHO :)

Last edited:

Orangegrad

Practically Family

Last Friday I received my first Stylemaster from the US distributor, David Morgan. I am also between sizes, and they recommended going up, which I did. The hat fit a bit large out of the box, as they said it would. DM supplied two felt pads, which brought the hat to my size. With time, they assure me that the hat will shrink some. I have to say I'm glad I went up a size.

But I agree, it's interesting that vendors who sell the same hat provide differing fitting recommendations.

DougC

Practically Family
I have always bought size 7 (56)--but, when I sent in my measurements for the CD Deluxe, Hatsdirect suggested a 58 (7 1/8). I'm right between the two sizes and had a hat shrink recently, so, I went with the suggestions. Happy I did! Although I need to use the foam inserts now, when the hat gets rained on (IF it gets rained on!) I now it will fit.

fmw

One Too Many
Round up. Padding the sweatband is less severe than stretching one. Enjoy the hat.

Panda Moanium

New in Town
I have four Akubras all in size 58 and have found that my two Stylemasters were the snuggest fit when they arrived - to the extent that if they had shrunk any, they would have been too small. Happily that hasn't proved to be the case. On the other hand, I had to initially put padding in my Banjo Paterson, although that shrunk down nicely subsequently. My Cattleman on the other hand was (and remains) a perfect fit from the off.

I think some of it may be to do with the hat design as I'm a long oval and I think the Stylemaster is shaped for a more rounded head. So definitely size up if in any doubt.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
For what it's worth ... very little unless it helps ... here is years of experience distilled into a brief bit of advice

Always go with the larger size if there is any question

Take a couple of strips of micro-fleece ... you can buy a little for next to nothing at wal-mart of a fabric store .... slip a couple of strips under the sweat. It works great and you won't even know its there, especially after it has seated in with a couple of wearings.

It's a lot easier than fighting a tight hat for years and never being completely comfortable with it.

I've ruined ... or at least permanently stretched out ... some really nice hats because I didn't have the patience to find a larger size.

Sam

Brando11

A-List Customer
Also, hats vary in size within the same run. Take three size 59 Campdrafts, etc, measure them and you'll see what I mean.

When I ordered my Heritage Campdraft, I asked Jenny if I should go with a 60 or a 59; I measure just a touch over 59. She went to the trouble of going through a group of them 'til she found one that measured 59.5! What a sweetheart.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I am a true 59. I have three Feds - two IVs and a III. One of the IVs I bought new. It was a little big when I got it but shrank down to fit me exactly. The other IV and three I bought used and fit me perfectly.

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
My experience was a little different. I ordered my first Fed IV in the size recommended by HD. I measure a solid 57 but HD recommended a 58. It arrived and was huge...came down over my ears. I read all the info about putting in padding, getting rained on, etc, and then sometime in the future my new hat will really fit?.....Even with all that I didn't think the 58 would ever fit...Besides, I'm buying a new hat here. Why should I have to go through all that just to get the thing to fit right?....

HD were great and sent me a 57 "on trial"and at their expense .....it fit and I sent the 58 back... I have since ordered another Fed IV and 2 Campdrafts all in 57 and they all fit. I think that HD is a little aggressive in getting people to order up a size. My experience has been that in normal wearing of a hat, not counting rain and sweating, which I don't plan to do much of .... it expands and conforms to the head, not shrinking to a smaller size......

My experience for what it is worth......

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have four Akubras (Federation III, Stylemaster, Cattleman, Stockman), and have always ordered my correct size (57/7-1/8). They were a little big (maybe a half-size) when they first arrived, but the sweatbands conformed to my head perfectly after just a few good sweatings.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I've mentioned all this previously, so apologies if this is a repeat.

I think it matters a lot what kind of felt, Imperial or Heritage (their premium quality).

I've had new and two heavily used Akubra Imperial felt hats, and my experience is that yes, they will eventually shrink a half size. Hence Akubra's advice.

I'm about 59.5 cm, long oval. Their size 60 is rather large for me. Their size 59 fits perfectly. I think they size with the expectation of shrinkage - for all their hats, regardless of felt, and also including the Federations regardless of what they said about a larger block...that didn't appear to be true for me (59 fit just fine and stayed so).

I have four Feds, all Heritage felt. Plus three others in that grade (Banjo Patersons, Lightining Ridge). One was too large initially (a sz 60 Banjo), so I aggressively tried to shrink it down with repeated wettings and heat from a hair dryer. Did same to a sz 60 Fed III. Outcome was a tiny bit of shrinkage, nothing like the Imperial felts did spontaneously. Also, I've worn the other Heritage felts in all sorts of weather over several years, some getting quite thoroughly soaked, hung up to dry and no shrinkage whatsoever as far as I can tell. Also no detectable "coning" of the crown.

I know this is at odds with some observations by others, but all I can do is relate my experience and acknowledge that your mileage may certainly vary. All the best!

- Bill

Last edited:

hubbit

New in Town
HD were great and sent me a 57 "on trial"and at their expense .....it fit and I sent the 58 back... I have since ordered another Fed IV and 2 Campdrafts all in 57 and they all fit. I think that HD is a little aggressive in getting people to order up a size.

I had a similar experience; I measure 62 right on the dot and even sent HD a picture I took of my head and the tape as I was measuring, so they could see exactly how I was doing it and where on my head. They recommended I order my Fed IV in 63, which I did. It was large enough I could have moved my family in there. :D

It easily came down and brushed the tops of my ears, and with the foam inserts it just became a headache-inducing nightmare because the sweatband was all bunched up. HD took note and asked me to send the 63 back and they would send me a 62 as soon as I confirmed that I'd mailed the 63. The 62 arrived yesterday and it's like night and day. It's very slightly loose, but the foam inserts not only adjust it well but they feel seamless. The sweatband is making proper surface contact.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm just a tiny bit under 59cm. I took advice from another lounger and bought a 59 rather than going up. The size was right but the shape of the hat was off as I'm a long oval, but within a week it had conformed to fit my head perfectly.

So my advice to anyone is ignore the advice about going up a size and get your actual size. Only go up if you're between sizes. The size in the tag is there for a reason, not so you ignore it and get a different size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo