Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Snowy River Very Stiff - what to do ??

dman535

New in Town
I have a few different Akubra hats. One being a Snowy River that was my fathers. The hat is really stuff, very much unlike my Squatter which is soft and pliable. What can I do to soften up the Snowy River without destroying it.

Thanks

Derek.-

job

One Too Many
Your better off leaving it alone. It is meant to be that way or it would take on more of a outback look.

There are a few threads around the Lounge about using a diluted solution of ethyl alcohol to break down the stiffener that is put into the felt.
Western & Outback style lids get more stiffener in brim & crown than fedoras.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
I have a few different Akubra hats. One being a Snowy River that was my fathers. The hat is really stuff, very much unlike my Squatter which is soft and pliable. What can I do to soften up the Snowy River without destroying it.

Thanks

Derek.-

I have 5 Akubra westerns and a 4X Stetson, and I had the same issue: too stiff to wear comfortably when they arrived. So I followed the advice offered here and gently pummeled and crunched 'em while watching TV. I learned that good fur felt hats like Akubras can take quite a bit of abuse without much protest or losing their shape.

After working them over for a bit, I'd pop them back into shape and before long they were softened up just enough to not feel like helmets. People with more experience can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's when the hats seemed more willing to start conforming to the shape of my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda