Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AKUBRA SOMBRERO PICTURES PLEASE

dmsantam

New in Town
I got my Akubra Sombrero a few months ago, and was inspired by these pictures. I ironed the brim flat, and shaped in an aussie packer style (down at the front and rear). Excellent sun and rain protection.

Attachments

• PXL_20220914_230901450.jpg
    PXL_20220914_230901450.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 227
  • PXL_20220914_230917061.jpg
    PXL_20220914_230917061.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 195
  • PXL_20220914_230847539.jpg
    PXL_20220914_230847539.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 235

Who?

Practically Family
I got my Akubra Sombrero a few months ago, and was inspired by these pictures. I ironed the brim flat, and shaped in an aussie packer style (down at the front and rear). Excellent sun and rain protection.
I like your brim treatment, it makes my Terretory brim look skimpy.

The way it comes from the factory does not appeal to me at all.

Nice! I’ve been waiting over a year for my size to get back in stock. I personally love the brim curl (I’ll lower the bumpers on my next Sombrero), but it’s wonderful that we can still get hats that can be shaped as we like them. I’m on an email notification list, but let me know if you ever see one in 62cm.

dmsantam

New in Town
Nice! I’ve been waiting over a year for my size to get back in stock. I personally love the brim curl (I’ll lower the bumpers on my next Sombrero), but it’s wonderful that we can still get hats that can be shaped as we like them. I’m on an email notification list, but let me know if you ever see one in 62cm.
I will keep an eye out. I am a 61 in the Sombrero, and 62 in the campdraft and fed IV. The sombrero is sized quite large, or at least mine is.

I will keep an eye out. I am a 61 in the Sombrero, and 62 in the campdraft and fed IV. The sombrero is sized quite large, or at least mine is.

Thanks. I have a Sombrero in 62 that fits great. My hat is posted up the thread just a bit.

I’m surprised that the 62cm has been out of stock for so long. I hoped that with the pandemic slowing down we’d start to see more hats become available.

dmsantam

New in Town
Thanks. I have a Sombrero in 62 that fits great. My hat is posted up the thread just a bit.

I’m surprised that the 62cm has been out of stock for so long. I hoped that with the pandemic slowing down we’d start to see more hats become available.
Akubra is slowly getting back their stocks according to Trudy from the Hattery. Lots of hats in some sizes have been out of stock for almost a year from what I've seen. I think the Sombrero is one of their last priorities sadly. I guess it doesn't sell very well.

Akubra is slowly getting back their stocks according to Trudy from the Hattery. Lots of hats in some sizes have been out of stock for almost a year from what I've seen. I think the Sombrero is one of their last priorities sadly. I guess it doesn't sell very well.

At least it hasn’t been discontinued. It’s just starting to get into felt hat weather here and I’d like to have another Sombrero styled differently from my first for the winter.

dmsantam

New in Town
A couple of weeks back, I trimmed the brim on the sombrero by about 1/2". Still a large brim but not as ludicrous. I just used sharp scissors and cleaned up with sandpaper.

Attachments

• PXL_20221118_235040880.jpg
    PXL_20221118_235040880.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 187
  • 20221119_111418.jpg
    20221119_111418.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 169
  • 20221119_121306.jpg
    20221119_121306.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 195

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Perhaps "a little over the top" was a better way to put it :)

A whole lot over the top, quite literally !

After the initial honeymoon I've decided to cut the brim down on my Sombrero, to make it round or less of an extreme oval, it's just too much hat for me and to be honest I think it looks a bit silly on me as is. The shade it gives even with the curled brim is second to none, but I think it will still be fine post chop.

My problem is that the only hat shop anywhere near me doesn't trim brims (or do any maintenance or repairs, which is a real pity). I guess I'll eventually get around to attempting it myself but I'm not really looking forward to it, for want of a template or form to make it a clean rounded cut and the tools to make one up.

dmsantam

New in Town
A whole lot over the top, quite literally !

After the initial honeymoon I've decided to cut the brim down on my Sombrero, to make it round or less of an extreme oval, it's just too much hat for me and to be honest I think it looks a bit silly on me as is. The shade it gives even with the curled brim is second to none, but I think it will still be fine post chop.

My problem is that the only hat shop anywhere near me doesn't trim brims (or do any maintenance or repairs, which is a real pity). I guess I'll eventually get around to attempting it myself but I'm not really looking forward to it, for want of a template or form to make it a clean rounded cut and the tools to make one up.
I folded a piece of cardboard over so the exposed part was the amount I wanted to trim off. Then I ran it around the brim with a pencil and cut on the line with tailor's scissors. Very easy. If you want round, you need to have something a fixed size to mark the brim a fixed distance from the crown. You can't go wrong because you can use sandpaper to clean it up.

I recently heard back from Akubra that the Sombrero has not been discontinued; however, it isn’t a big seller and production is way down. I’ve been waiting for a second Sombrero for over 15 months now and have email notifications set up with three retailers. Patience doesn’t always come naturally to me.

dmsantam

New in Town
Nice, but that one only works if you are respecting the original brim shape, no? I want to round mine off, it's oval shaped as is.
yes, you need to use something of a fixed length to go from the crown and trace around the end of it. e.g. a flat ruler cut down to the length you want the brim to be all the way around. Or use a compass.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
yes, you need to use something of a fixed length to go from the crown and trace around the end of it. e.g. a flat ruler cut down to the length you want the brim to be all the way around. Or use a compass.

Thanks, yes. I've no problem with the how-to, more with motivating myself getting around to to do it. What with measuring, making a template, cutting, sanding, and then re-curling the brim I'd much rather just pay a few bucks for a pro to do it, just have to find a hatter that is at least semi-local.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ