Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alcohol as a hair tonic?

habberdasher

A-List Customer
I was thinking, could pure rubbing alcohol be used as a hair tonic? I've read the main ingredient in tonic is alcohol, and my pomades, even RC hasn't given my hair a shine but only a buffered, dry greasy look. So maybe alcohol could give it an exaggerated shine?

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
From what I've read sir, it's not a great option.
While alcohol may be a primary ingredient in many hair tonics, it's the other ingredients which give the "hold" . Please bear in kind that the heyday of hair tonics was a time when daily bathing was far from the norm. I'd posit that alcohol did away with a considerable amount of the natural dirt/oils/personality (depending on your particular bent, I'm fond of daily showers myself), and a typically petroleum based product was added to tthe mix to help in holding the hair in a particular way or style.
I think I've also read that alcohol is not a particularly helpful item when it comes to overall hair health in the grand scheme of things....

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Would not advise. Rubbing alcohol is very harsh and drying. I would be leery of straight rubbing alcohol making your hair not particularly shiny but very very fragile and prone to split ends at best and shearing off at worst.

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
Have you tried Vaseline by any chance? I'm not sure if it would help with the shine, but it can keep the hair in place.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Vaseline is not good on the skin, or hair(despite being marketed for such purposes)- petroleum jelly and also mineral oil
(which is in the old style hair oils and is actually sewing machine oil) should be kept away from the skin.

Alcohol is the same- bad. All these nasty things that ARE in (bad)skin, beauty
and facial products are there for one reason and one reason only-
they're CHEAP.

Now- speaking about the old days, not washing and using hair products...
remember George Clooney in "Brother, where art though?" and the frequency with which he applied his "pomade".

B
T

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Thanks for the help! I don't need hold in a tonic, because I use Murray's and RC, just extra shine. But from what I've heard it's not that healthy. I'll have to buy a brilliantine or tonic.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Two words for shine that tops all others:

Blue-Magic-pressing-oil_m.jpg

Alternatively you could try AGS 40 weight, same stuff basically, and uses sunflower oil. Smells great too:

http://www.thegreaseshop.com/servlet/the-75/pomade-hair-dressing-AGS/Detail

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alcohol's a main ingredient mainly as a carrier. It thins down the product for ease of application and then evaporates fast leaving behind the oils & grease from the tonic. It's also very astringent and drying because it'll pull the natural oils off skin & hair.

zeus36

A-List Customer
Alcohol would wipe out the oils on your scalp and would be an irritant as well. Prolonged exposure may cause dermatitis and it is very flammable!

It will strip out the proteins in the hair shafts as well.

Not recommended.

I get the best shine from brylcreem, I use tonic on the sides, but there is very little shine I have found, so I put in a 'dab' of brylcreem and it shines right up. And I also reccommend that you make sure that all of this stuff is washed out before bed, as I've learned from passing out on the couch a time or two, you get a better shine and the hair's easier to work with when you aren't building on yesterday's mess.

Dawns Dish Soap works, the detergent gets it out. What I do is use a clarifyinng shampoo, which I lather in before I shower then rinse out and use a clarifying conditioner. So far, so good.
habberdasher said:
That's why I need to buy some pomade-removing shampoo. You can't wash out Murray's with dandruff shampoo!

filfoster

One Too Many
Store-bought or home-made?

I recall my father's father wore some vitalis or Brylcreem or other hair dressing which caused my grandmother to install the 'anti-maccassars' on the chairs and sofa. Some of these she made herself of crochet'ed lace.
I wonder if these are yet seen in any homes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic