Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alec Baldwin: Good-bye, Public Life

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
There is still the classic Groucho Marx glasses+'tache. Also period correct (with the round glasses of course).

An_Air_Raid_Warden_wearing_his_steel_helmet_and_duty_gas_mask_during_the_Second_World_War._D4053.jpg

And it's a "vintage look" too.

Reminds me of The Sandman:

Still a vintage look and you could knock out the photographer and erase your image. :p

Yes. Being form Edward's first generation of internet users, I had to learn about image appropriation the hard way. Several years ago I googled up "A-1 flight jacket" and hit the images button. BAM! There…smiling back at me was....me. Not sure how the photos of me wearing an A-1 made the Google cut, but they did. Then, a year or so later, I made the "Fat Guy Wearing an Open Road" cut, too.

AF

I tried to find myself by googling "ruggedly handsome geologist", but it turned back like 11 billion hits. I guess I need to be more specific.

Edward

Bartender
A few weeks ago I was dining alfresco with friends at a cafe on one of our local promenades. Adjacent to us was a fountain where a man lay sleeping on the steps. At one point a young couple strolled by and stopped to stare at the man. They conferred for a moment and then a camera appeared from the girls purse. She proceeded to take several photos of the man in his repose. I have seen this same scenario played out dozens of times in my neighborhood by visiting tourists, from all corners of the globe. I would sometimes ask them why they where photographing people sleeping on the streets and would never get an answer, just a slightly guilty kind of look like they'd been caught doing something naughty.

Well, this time something came over me and before I new it I was up and standing right in front of the couple, taking multiple pictures of them with my iPhone. The couple's reaction was one of stunned disbelief. Then there was the sound of applause coming from the cafe and I turned to see my dinner companions giving me a standing ovation. The couple slinked off and I returned to the table and enjoyed the rest of the evening. The man laying on the fountain steps slept through the whole event, unaware of what had transpired. Odd bit of business but there you have.

Well played! The Hoff did something similar a whiel back too, here in London. Some guys bothered him for a photo, interrupting his dinner. Clearly not real fans, just random collectors of celebrity. He followed them up the street yelling after them for a photo, snapping away at them with his phone, and such. Generally behaving like a screaming teenage girl over.... whatever pop star they're into these days. Pretty funny. In both instances, point well made through humour.

Yes. Does anyone recall the mysterious incident of the Art Fawcett photograph? A new member here had scoured a google search for an image of chap in white suit and panama hat. Posted photo here claiming "saw this nattily dressed guy in Milan airport last week", or something similar. It was in fact Art Fawcett in Pasadena or somesuch at a vintage expo, and the photo originated from FLounge.

I admit at the outset to an overwhelming terror of my image appearing in public, which certainly informs my opininons on random photography.

A relatively recent affliction, non?

Mostly when I see Flounge photos anywhere else, they're accompanied by tedious, snidey comments on various piddly little forums run by people who got kicked out of this place, or left in a huff. It's quite cute, really.

This is a trend that's been going on for at least a year, and it's an attempt to use your photo to gain access to groups, with the intention of selling (spamming) shoes, sex toys, work from home pitches, etc.

The big one I alays look for: member of loads of groups, no or only a handful of friends with very similar profiles.

Yet, with the advent of Google Glass, everyone snapping pics, security cams, Google maps photographing stuff, etc., it's almost quaint to simply be concerned about posting online photos. Soon there will be face recognition apps. There is no privacy.

Ah, Google Glass - for those who are worried that wearing a blutooth headset everywhere doesn't make them look enough of a twit.

just don't go to Paris (or anywhere else in France, of course)

Eh, you'd be fine. However it's phrased, there's only one kind of face covering the French wanted to ban.

Great idea and a good way to avoid the facial recognition being developed "for my safety"...

Reminds me of The Sandman:

Still a vintage look and you could knock out the photographer and erase your image. :p

That's what it called to mind for me too.

It's tedious when people take your photo like an animal at the zoo, though on the flipside if I didn't care to stand out from the mundanes, I guess I'd dress to fit in...

At my contemplation of this thread I did a search for myself and came up with one picture a friend of mine took and put up on her blog of me and my son---unbeknownst to me. That was it though---and I am working on getting rid of that one.....:p
I am one of the first generation of internet users and I don't post pictures unless that are ambiguous. :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've only posted enough pictures of myself on the Lounge to prove that I am, in fact, who I say I am. Fortunately, the Internet seems to have little taste for pictures of stern-looking, fully-dressed, nearsighted middle-aged women, except perhaps among men who went to Catholic school.

I've only posted enough pictures of myself on the Lounge to prove that I am, in fact, who I say I am. Fortunately, the Internet seems to have little taste for pictures of stern-looking, fully-dressed, nearsighted middle-aged women, except perhaps among men who went to Catholic school.

:rofl:
On another note, you know every time I see that name Alec Baldwin in the title it makes me want to give him a swift kick. Anything that happens to him---he deserves or earned. :p

Don't be so sure. There's probably a www.sternlookingmiddleagedwomen.com or some such out there. God knows what sort of content is on it.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Yes. I was photographed and used in an art exhibition, which pissed me off royally.
The assumption is that you will be flattered. Oh, look. Someone likes me enough to photograph me! Whoopdee-do!!!
When FaceBook reached it's zenith, I was getting about a dozen or so e-mails a week telling me that this person, or that person had joined, why don't you sign up too? I realised that as people join, there's probably a box to fill in for friend's e-mail addresses. Thank goodness for the block sender, and for knowing how to use it.

Oooooh! Does that come with stwippin' & whippin'?

3fingers

One Too Many
:rofl:
On another note, you know every time I see that name Alec Baldwin in the title it makes me want to give him a swift kick. Anything that happens to him---he deserves or earned. :p
Agreed. They don't come much sorrier than Alec. I'll stop with that.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
PSG, I have my picture taken several times a day, and it WILL be used in conjunction with facial recognition technology.
My town has speed cameras on the highways, and main city streets.
Now my pictures are on somebody's database, well besides my Chippendale's ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy