Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alec Baldwin: Good-bye, Public Life

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sure, Alec Baldwin has his faults - don't we all? We all make mistakes. Why should his mistakes become public property?

Personally, I don't believe that you can say (after this article) that anyone is making Baldwin's mistakes public but Baldwin himself. He just made about 15 of them. Also, I kind of bristle at anyone being that publicly homophobic (in writing) being a "mistake."

There is a way he could have written that statement that was apologetic and would make me believe he was trying to be a better person. It was decidedly not this way. There is a way he could have written that article without throwing countless people under the bus and hurting others. It was decidedly not this way. I am a huge person for personal responsibility, which seems to be lacking in today's world.

Baldwin's mistakes don't have to keep following him around forever if he would simply start trying to learn from them, rather than feeling persecuted by everyone else.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Journalists" don't want him to shut up, ever. He's a gold mine. And the more he keeps babbling, the more they've got to write about -- no matter how stupid or offensive his comments.

There was a time when gossip columnists had little tolerance for celebrities who wilfully made fools of themselves in public. Winchell or Dorothy Kilgallen would have destroyed this guy with a couple of lines, and that would have been that.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
"Journalists" don't want him to shut up, ever. He's a gold mine. And the more he keeps babbling, the more they've got to write about -- no matter how stupid or offensive his comments.

There was a time when gossip columnists had little tolerance for celebrities who wilfully made fools of themselves in public. Winchell or Dorothy Kilgallen would have destroyed this guy with a couple of lines, and that would have been that.

That would take work. They can just cut and paste Baldwin's diatribe and they're done for the day. :(

Journalists today would need to write a book to say what Winchell said with a couple of lines. :p

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Alec Baldwin's statements:
Actors, sports legends, politicians and musicians. Based on their life choices should this really surprise us? Drugs, HIV. illegitimate children, closet folks (Rock Hudson) also add in the imposarios, and the sex/drug groupies which surround them.
I have no more attachment to him than the characters in the Movies in which he has acted.
I do respect his candor in a world where everything is contrived. I also think he is a A$$.
My two cents.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender

You make a good point about journalists not wanting guys like Baldwin to shut up. He is their bread and butter..

I tend to not believe the latest celebrity that is either retiring from The Biz or shunning the limelight their publicists have worked so hard to put them in front of. Baldwin has been in the business for years. If he really wanted out of that awful NYC he'd shut his mouth and move to CA. or where ever he imagines his boorish behavior is acceptable.

How is this different from the juvenile nonsense we've seen from idiots like Joaquin Phoenix, or Shia Lebeouf? The reason is different but the net effect is the same. It's publicity.

You make a good point about journalists not wanting guys like Baldwin to shut up. He is their bread and butter..

I tend to not believe the latest celebrity that is either retiring from The Biz or shunning the limelight their publicists have worked so hard to put them in front of. Baldwin has been in the business for years. If he really wanted out of that awful NYC he'd shut his mouth and move to CA. or where ever he imagines his boorish behavior is acceptable.

How is this different from the juvenile nonsense we've seen from idiots like Joaquin Phoenix, or Shia Lebeouf? The reason is different but the net effect is the same. It's publicity.

And we are talking about the dumbass just like they want. :doh:

Personally, I don't believe that you can say (after this article) that anyone is making Baldwin's mistakes public but Baldwin himself. He just made about 15 of them. Also, I kind of bristle at anyone being that publicly homophobic (in writing) being a "mistake."

His going off on his daughter, which is the source of much of the disgust with Baldwin, and this discussion, certainly wasn't made public by him.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
And we are talking about the dumbass just like they want. :doh:

My point in posting this wasn't for Alec Baldwin but that some of what he stated resonated as true with me. I know it was probably a bad idea given that it's his words and so many hate him. I should have just started a thread on our culture that continues to invade our privacy and the sometimes ensuing online lynch mobs.

Last edited:
If I had a nickel for every time I had induced my parents to castigate me (very reasonably) in similar terms and worse than those used by Baldwin, I'd be pretty rich. Honestly, "thoughtless, inconsiderate pig" is something only the press could whip into a major issue (of course, this is part of what Baldwin is talking about). Children need to be challenged on their behaviour (in private) just as much as parents do.

The guy down the street who slaps his wife a couple times every night doesn't make the headlines (He only does it 'cause he loves her so much, he's careful not to cause bruising, and she won't make a complaint). Why should a bit of parenting by Baldwin? The consumers demanding such salacious material are as much at fault as the lazy journalists.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
If I had a nickel for every time I had induced my parents to castigate me (very reasonably) in similar terms and worse than those used by Baldwin, I'd be pretty rich. Honestly, "thoughtless, inconsiderate pig" is something only the press could whip into a major issue (of course, this is part of what Baldwin is talking about). Children need to be challenged on their behaviour (in private) just as much as parents do.

The guy down the street who slaps his wife a couple times every night doesn't make the headlines (He only does it 'cause he loves her so much, he's careful not to cause bruising, and she won't make a complaint). Why should a bit of parenting by Baldwin? The consumers demanding such salacious material are as much at fault as the lazy journalists.

Totally agree.Parents from previous generations were punitive and kids worked hard and learned boundaries very, very quickly.
Today US kids are so entitled, and feeling sorry for themselves because, they dont have the latest I-phone or $100 dollar sneakers. I cannot tell you how many times, we have roll'ed into a home for emergency medical services and talked to someone who is getting govt. aid w/ a big screen TV. Always always always a big TV!!!! even if the room is 5ft by 5ft.

Plus 5 healthy people who live there and not one one of them can can shovel the snow off the driveway, walk or steps.

Last edited:

True if this were an isolated incident of Baldwin flying off the handle but he has an anger management problem and a pattern of stupidity that eclipses any leeway we could give him for being an exasperated parent.
Lazy journalists are an entirely different subject. They have been lazy for at least a generation now---nothing new.

My point in posting this wasn't for Alec Baldwin but that some of what he stated resonated as true to me. I know it was probably a bad idea given that it's his words and so many hate him. I should have just started a thread on our culture that continues to invade our privacy and the sometimes ensuing online lynch mobs.

Yeah, he is a bad example that hardly breeds empathy or even a bit of sympathy. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy