Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers

Edward

Bartender
Interesting. They offer black goatskin. Luckily, I don't like black, so I can't be tempted. :D

Wonder where they source that. I looked at a black Aero in goat at one point, but was told (by Amanda when still with them) that it wan't available. Whichever tannery they use now (don't Aero get their goat from Horween?) must be doing it.

Did anyone read the About Us? Seems like he's coming out fighting.

That was the holding page for a bit. Sort of jars a bit with the 'brushing it off as beneath me' message, the way some of it is phrased. But hey ho, the courts will make a call on it sooner or later, and then hopefully all concerned can put it behind them.

In this day and age, I'm interpreting that as being designed with those featuring a "less than athletic build" in mind.

Yes, that's what I fear, as usually that means my own size is crazy baggy, while anything smaller managed to look and/or fit wrong too.

Is it just my untrained eye or do those offerings look rather bland, character-less and ... dare I say it ... boring in their design? They almost look like what one can buy at the local mall or in a mid-range department store like Macy's or Belk.

I just don't see anything special there.

The limitations of what the market wants might be part of it, but yes in the long run I think they'd have been better served distinguishing their product a bit more from the, eh, direct competition. Maybe they'll distinguish themselves by offering more 'all-included' alterations now that Ken is keen to move away from so much customisation.

Interesting the Stuart is absent (I'd love to see that in black goatskin). Was there ever any resolution as to the question of ownership on that one? It would have, to my mind, been more of a variation on the norm. As I recall, Aero took it off their line because it was one of Will's designs, but there was a query that it might have been specc'ed up by a US customer?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
To me, the Stuart is more or less like a shorter Teamster without the bi-swing back, and a similar comparison would be the 50's HB compared to the LHB. In any case, I see nothing original about the Stuart not already seen with the Teamster.

Gibson & Barnes in San Diego offers black goatskin but don't know where G&B sources their skins. Given the present circumstances, I doubt that Horween hides will be made available to AL.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
At first I was going to say I was disappointed; but then I checked out the Drifter, which seems to be a 50's Deluxe Half-Belt and I think looked pretty okay (and the Long Rider looks like a Long Half Belt). I wonder if you can say I want those jackets with zip sleeves. I suppose so. If I was ready to order, I'd email and ask.

Last edited:

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
Well, there's simple design that comes off with elegance and sophistication ... then there's simple design that just comes across as rather banal.

Aero Leathers is definitely the former; Alexander Leathers, the more I look at their product line, is definitely the latter.

And for what it's worth, I'd be wary of where they're sourcing their hides. I doubt Horween will be one of their suppliers.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Well, there's simple design that comes off with elegance and sophistication ... then there's simple design that just comes across as rather banal.

Probably more to do with the website and pictures rather than the product ... having seen two of their jackets in the flesh they are nothing short of stunning .... easily on a par with the competition.

Aero Leathers is definitely the former; Alexander Leathers, the more I look at their product line, is definitely the latter.

:) Given that a LARGE % of what was formalally Aero is now with AL ..... I remain unconvinced of that statement :)

And for what it's worth, I'd be wary of where they're sourcing their hides. I doubt Horween will be one of their suppliers.

I agree that Skip & Co do produce some very fine chrome tanned hide ...... but there's plenty more out there ( ask John Chapman) who make GREAT Leather Jackets. I have 1/2 a dozen horsehide jackets and I have to say Chrome Excel is possibly the toughest hide to break in and get comfortable ( I'm NOT a big fan) MWHH is a MUCH better hide for an everyday jacket than the heavy FQHH. The same goes for Chromexel Steer .. it's just too heavy and tough. Vintage or MW Steer every time IMHO. ( feel free to flame away ... it's just an opinion of a serial leather jacket wearer / buyer). So long as the hides are excellent quality and they are sourced / manufactured responsibly I really have no care where they came from ..... I'm interested in the product not the raw materials ( although that may be REALLY sensitive to some given recent events ... it doesnt mean I am not sensitive to the fact that you guys got a raw deal !)

I'm also not sure Horwwen won't be one of their suppliers ...... I don't know who their suppliers are .... just like I don't know who all of Aero's, Eastmans, Lost Worlds, Bill Kelso or John Chapmans suppliers are ( and to be honest I've never asked ) !!!!!!!!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm also not sure Horwwen won't be one of their suppliers

I think you can be pretty certain they won't be.

I won't argue the quality of the workmanship, as you say many of the staff are former Aero, but I'm not impressed with the designs. For the most part, they seem very slight variations on Aero's designs (a zipper here or there does not make much of a difference to the overall look imho). I understand AL are unashamedly out to take Aero's business, but I would have thought they'd actually do something that was a bit more evolved.

If I'd been in Will's position, I would have started up with designs similar to the hugely over-priced stuff coming out of Japan, and priced it reasonably in more Western sizes - Mushman's Freewheeling etc. It's an obvious gap in the market, and I think AL would have found it easier to get traction.

Plumbline

One Too Many
A professional photographer, Schitzo.

Only if you consider Amanda and Brendan Lauder as professional photographers. Spoke to Amanda this morning re. my Aero LHB which they have in for alteration to the Mouton collar ( which I want trimmed down a little) ... apparently the photographs from the professional (Great Scot Photography according to Facebook) haven't been completed yet.

Just picked it up in conversation.... :)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
If I'd been in Will's position, I would have started up with designs similar to the hugely over-priced stuff coming out of Japan, and priced it reasonably in more Western sizes - Mushman's Freewheeling etc. It's an obvious gap in the market, and I think AL would have found it easier to get traction.

This type of jacket (Aero included) doesn't appeal to me in any case, but the suggestion has merit. A cheaper Himel Brothers Heron-type/LVC Merino jacket would really appeal in a good cape.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Only if you consider Amanda and Brendan Lauder as professional photographers. Spoke to Amanda this morning re. my Aero LHB which they have in for alteration to the Mouton collar ( which I want trimmed down a little) ... apparently the photographs from the professional (Great Scot Photography according to Facebook) haven't been completed yet.

Just picked it up in conversation.... :)

Fair enough, wouldn't want to malign the guy, he's a friend of guy I know. But if I was AL I would've waited until I had everything on the site looking A1 before going live. First impressions being what they are.

Edward

Bartender

Yes, it's a pity in terms of the market they didn't go that way. I had rather hoped (back when the changes at Aero were first announced, which was before the proverbial hit the fan) Will Lauder was headed off to do something along those lines.

No I can't ... only Skip can ...... I can speculate and theorise, but I can't know anything in this can of worms for certain.

Given the public statements to which Horween have put their name, it seems a safe bet that they and Alexander Leathers will no be trading with each other for the foreseeable future. This, of course, does not preclude them from acquiring quality hides elsewhere.

thor

Call Me a Cab
The AL site needs more details about their jacket offerings. A photo of the back and side of the jackets for starters. Hide and interior options. Etc etc etc....

majormajor

One Too Many
The AL site needs more details about their jacket offerings. A photo of the back and side of the jackets for starters. Hide and interior options. Etc etc etc....

If you click on the individual jackets, there are around 4 pics of each jacket, including back views.

Edward

Bartender
And the extreme close-up of the label. Can't forget that, even though they're all the same in every jacket they show.

Heh. I noticed that. Maybe they are planning, over time, to develop a couple of different lines with different labels, in which case it would make more sense. Some of the Aeros do have photos of the labels on their site, but it makes a bit more sense there as they have a bit more variation on that fron, particularly with the military repro contract stuff.

Course, it could also be that as a new start-up they want people to see for sure that these are their own jackets, rather than images lited from elsewhere as has been done by some online suppliers in the past. (Wasn't there one in India was particularly notorious for that?).

Edward

Bartender
I had a dream last night that I bought two coats from Alexander Leathers. Both were too big.

lol

Most of my dreams revolving around clothing are really good, to the point where I'm usually ticked off when I wake up and realise they're not real.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW