Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Algonquin Round Table

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Where NYC has been Disneyland-ified and tourists are ruder than any stereotypical New Yorkers, the Alqonquin remains stalwart in the face for declining values and manners. My wife and I stayed at the awesome City Club hotel next door and, after seeing a super-hot Latin jazz band at Birdland, had cocktails just a few feet from the infamous "Round Table" area.

It was like a Star Trek transporter send me back in time (but without the polyester Starfleet uniforms).

The Dorothy Parker movie is wonderful but a tad depressing as these sophisticated and urbane people spin out of countrol. It is magical to be able to sit where they sat and remember a time of great wit.

BRS

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I liked it better before the New Yorker cartoons were all over the walls and the drinks were $11 a throw. But it's still an elegant haunt. IIRC, they still have the house kitty cat, which has sat in the lap of many a notable including our own LizzieMaine...lucky kitty :rolleyes:

Girl Friday

Practically Family
CharlieH. said:
Wha's this? A previously unheeded thread about the Algonquin Round Table from 2 years ago? How can this be?

I'll say... I would've loved to sit at the table with Dorothy, Alexander, Robert and Harpo, although I think they would've wisecracked me to death.
Could be because I wasn't a member yet?
;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I would only have been a 3rd string Algonquian at best, but I would have liked to see what made George Kaufman tick, or perhaps arranged with Benchley to play some awful prank on him. Also, Miss Parker was awfully fetching at time...such as whenever Mahina's avatar was taken.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
The Algonquin Round Table!!! And all of its members!!! Now we are talking.
But wait, why nobody has mention yet the promoter of this event ? Mr Aleck Woollcott ? The one an only... It was all a delicious idea of his!!! :)

vonwotan

Practically Family
I don't know whether they are still going on, but last year I believe someone started weekly discussions of the Viscious Circle at the Algonquin's Round Table. I don't get home as much as I used to so I miss out on so many wonderful events...

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I, too, would loved to have been present at the Algonquin during that time. Dorothy Parker said and wrote so many funny, funny things. I read a bio about her that was published in the 70's, called You Might As Well Live. She had some rough times, too, but, what a wit!

Some of my favorites:

When they announced that Calvin Coolidge had died, Parker wrote "How could they tell?"

Claire Booth Luce held a door open for Ms. Parker and said "Age before beauty." Parker wafted through the door and said "Pearls before swine."

karol

Harp

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
The Algonquin Round Table!!! And all of its members!!! Now we are talking.
But wait, why nobody has mention yet the promoter of this event ? Mr Aleck Woollcott ? The one an only... It was all a delicious idea of his!!! :)

I may be mistaken, but I thought the initial luncheon began to
welcome AW back from WWI correspondent duty, and it more-or-less
continued by collective consent as a daily ritual. But I cannot imagine
Dorothy Parker being less the chess board Queen at that table, without
a comparable King; AW notwithstanding.:)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Harp said:
I may be mistaken, but I thought the initial luncheon began to
welcome AW back from WWI correspondent duty, and it more-or-less
continued by collective consent as a daily ritual. :)

Hmmmm, really? I wasn't clear on that. Okey. :)

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Ahh, Dorothy Parker is indeed a fine gem, if a bit of a sad one.

My own introduction to her works was via a girlfriend with good tastes in the classics, and some back and forth of D.P.'s poetry was involved in the break up. Bittersweet, but probably very appropriate.

A couple of my favorite quotes:
"If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised."

"She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B."
Dorothy Parker, speaking of Katharine Hepburn

"I like to have a martini
Two at the very most --
After three I'm under the table,
After four, I'm under my host."

And one of her poems on a more serious note -

Anecdote

So silent I when Love was by
He yawned, and turned away;
But Sorrow clings to my apron-strings,
I have so much to say.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just wanted to let those of you with IFC channel know that "Mrs.Parker and The Viscous Circle" will be on this afternoon at 5pm. I'm watching it right now, haven't seen it in quite some time, and realizing that it is a wonderful movie. The acting, most of the actors/actresses, the clothes, and of course the setting make for an enjoyable 2 hours. I realized since it was on IFC this mid-morning, that they would probably play it later on today as well. So I looked it up and there it was in the 5pm slot. I know this isn't the best time of day to sit and watch a movie, but if you have the chance and have yet to see it, I recommend it.

For those of you who get a chance to watch it, and it is your first viewing of the film, let us know if it holds up to your expectations and also just let us know what you think in general. I enjoyed it, what say you?:)

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I haven't seen this in a while either, I remember liking it quite a bit.

The only problem I had was the clenched-jaw-talking of Jennifer Jason Leigh. I thought it was a little over the top, and sometimes made it hard to understand her. Other than that very good.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Girl Friday said:
I haven't seen this in a while either, I remember liking it quite a bit.

The only problem I had was the clenched-jaw-talking of Jennifer Jason Leigh. I thought it was a little over the top, and sometimes made it hard to understand her. Other than that very good.

I completely agree. She was trying too hard, at times it was hard to understand and sometimes sounded rather funny.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
"The writer's way is rough and lonely,
and who would choose it while there are
vacancies in more gracious professions,
such as, say, cleaning out ferryboats?"

Dorothy Parker
:)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Other Parker witticisms that comes to mind:

Scratch an actor and you'll find an actress.

You can lead a horticulture, but you cannot make her think

There is her quite famous poem on suicide:

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acids stain you
Drugs cause cramp

Guns aren't Lawful
Nooses Give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live

One of my favorite Algonquin anecdotes was when Tallulah Bankhead, a new and rising star, came to visit the Circle one day. Everyone was wondering what, if anything, she would say. Tallulah walked in, glanced around, and said, "There's less to this than meets the eye."

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass