Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All of a sudden.... she woke up!

dnjan

One Too Many
Set up your own account on myups.com, Don. Don't say I told you. Stay under the radar!
Did that. There are two accounts for our home address, and unfortunately my wife signed up first. And even if the package is being sent to me, and the sender uses my e-mail for the notifications, she gets an e-mail as well.

So far I have been using excuses that they were gifts for her (birthday, Christmas, etc). But I have to be careful not to repeat the same gift opportunity.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Great post. Definitely had me laughing.

My fiancé points out (quite correctly) that although she has more clothes than I do, basically everything she has costs SIGNIFICANTLY less than everything I own. In addition, she was fine with my Diamond Dave jacket because she was able to understand how much of a deal it was (and it helps that she loves it on me;)). As far as my love of shoes, I am able to get most of mine on eBay for good deals (Church's custom grade for $50 for example). My Oliver Peoples sunglasses weren't a problem when I bought her a pair as well:cool:... and she also loves them on me. She even understand my obsession with raw denim because I don't buy the most expensive stuff and she knows that it is special.

My pomade collection actually seems to bother her the most, which if funny because it is the cheapest hobby I have:p

I actually recently returned a couple of items that I actually liked, but she didn't. She did not insist and said it was up to me, but they were a bit too expensive and I actually felt comfortable returning everything.

I should point out that I am only 23, just out of college, and do not have the epic collections of gear that a lot of you guys have so she really doesn't have a reason to get as upset (although I also have significantly less income.)

Some lessons I have learned so far:

1. Be honest and say what you are getting up front. Surprises tend to go way worse than being up front.

2. Make her part of the process. This may be the biggest lesson. If she likes what I get, it doesn't bother her nearly as much. If you are fairly split on a purchase, ask her. Maybe your third favorite item is her absolute favorite. Maybe its just me, but getting constant compliments from my fiancé in a jacket feels way better than enjoying it by myself.

3. Diversify. This is also good advice for style in general. I don't have too many of each type of clothing, which helps with the "don't you already have this?" issue. Plus, I cannot STAND seeing a guy in a great leather jacket with terrible jeans and ugly shoes. IT happens way too much.

4. Realize she may be right. This is probably the hardest thing to do, but sometimes you may be going too far. This is what happened when I returned some items. She didn't like them and pointed out I was going too far. I wasn't sure at the time, but after mulling it over, I realized that I had gone too far and was much happier saving the money for other things.

Now, I may be whipped, which I am absolutely content with and my situation doesn't apply to everyone, but I don't really have too many problems with my "habits" as of now. Heck, she says I can go ahead and buy $2000 dollar Himel jackets and $1700 St. Crispin shoes once I get the money, so I'm good!;)

WorkingHard

New in Town
FIght the good fight my man. I had similar issues with the old ball n' chain myself before we came to an agreement.....we have a clothing budget every month, with no exceptions! If I'm under one month I can carry it onto the next, if im over one im under the next.....needless to say peace has been restored in our humble abode. God be with you Sir!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
FIght the good fight my man. I had similar issues with the old ball n' chain myself before we came to an agreement.....we have a clothing budget every month, with no exceptions! If I'm under one month I can carry it onto the next, if im over one im under the next.....needless to say peace has been restored in our humble abode. God be with you Sir!

That's not a bad idea. Would probably work well in a lot of cases.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Some funny (and very familiar) stories here!

My wife doesn't have an issue with my purchasing $, but.............she does not understand why a man "needs so many hats, leather jackets, shoes, etc.". When I think objectively about it I must agree. I only have five or six leather jackets and I could probably get by with three or four. I could also narrow my 20 - 25 hat collection down to six or seven as well.

Of course she forgets about the collection of firearms, knives, flashlights,.................

When the kids are all gone and we get closer to retirement we will undoubtedly downsize our home and at that time storage constraints may force the issue!

Cheers!

kampkatz

Practically Family
Some funny (and very familiar) stories here!

My wife doesn't have an issue with my purchasing $, but.............she does not understand why a man "needs so many hats, leather jackets, shoes, etc.". When I think objectively about it I must agree. I only have five or six leather jackets and I could probably get by with three or four. I could also narrow my 20 - 25 hat collection down to six or seven as well.

Of course she forgets about the collection of firearms, knives, flashlights,.................

When the kids are all gone and we get closer to retirement we will undoubtedly downsize our home and at that time storage constraints may force the issue!

Cheers!

We are at the downsizing stage, Gromulus, and it came quicker than I had realized it would. Enjoy the collections while you can!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran