Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

gawain

New in Town
Morning Gents,

Re: wwiijackets.co.uk

Just a few points to try and start setting the record straight:-

1. I purchased an IAC jacket from Andrew many months ago, later selling it to a Victor Kerpel of NY, who purchased it despite Andrew advising him against it as it had 'issues' with the shoulder;

2. Andrew purchased a jacket from me a few months ago that had never been on e-bay, and has recently sold it on that site (the 'Tipton' jacket);

3. Of the jackets sold on my site only 30% are purchased on e-bay. No more. And so what!

4. The Wellington jacket was not purchased for £1200. Have a look at the Tennants Auctioneers site and you will get a better idea of values and sources;

4. Reading the posting from Otter (oh I love this brave anonymity!), you are testament to the fact that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. I invite you to repeat your posting on the SOGA in an open e-mail, stating the section of either the SOGA or the Sale of Goods and Services Act that you say has been breached, and we shall seek a judicial adjudication on that point;

5. My solicitors have already written to Andrew warning him to refrain from behaviour that damages my business. He has written a letter of unqualified apology. The case of AM v Persons Unknown enables people like me to piece the veil of anonymity that you all like to hide behind and take action to stop your further damaging a legitimate business. I fully expect someone to shut this account down, but the site is monitored elsewhere, and action will be taken;

6. I have no intention of posting further, and have one little word of advice, apart from seeking healthy outside interests: leave me and my business alone.

I wish you all fulfilled and socially productive lives.

Simon Swaffield

gawain

New in Town
Oh, and just to add, the last three auctions on e-bay have all been with a 99p start and have run their course. There will be three others starting in the next 48 hours on a similar basis, and so as to accusations of ending early/denuding the internet of reasonably priced irvins, this, yet again, seems to be ill-founded and flying in the face of the facts.

alsendk

A-List Customer
checz.jpg
[/IMG]

Found this wonderful picture from the net,but I believe it to be some kind of re-enacting. The pic seem too new to be from ww2 I think.
But they really are flashing some fine Irvins:D

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The guy kneeling wearing the dark jacket has a repro and the guy standing at the back left is wearing a jacket with the collar strap that is on the wrong side like some of the 70s repros. But it could be an original with the strap replaced on the wrong side. It does look well worn and does not have the teddy bear cuffs as found on many older repros.

irvinsuit

Familiar Face
Finally got one...

Yes it's a Coastal Command Irvin which has lost most of its original finish.
Hi Andrew, I finally took the plunge and bought this today as a restoration project. This is my first ever Irvin jacket and the hooded variety are my favourites so I'm a chuffed as budgie.
I'll be phoning Will at Aeroleather tomorrow and I'll take it to the borders next week. I cannot wait to see the jacket and to try it on for the first time.
Happy happy days... :D

alsendk

A-List Customer
I know nothing about Irvin jackets but this appears to be a hooded example which the ebay vendor claims has been authenticated by the RAF museum. Whatever it is, he has advertised it on ebay with the headline 'Suede Vintage jacket' - which could mean potential buyers might miss it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/suede-jacket-vintage-/170893622974?pt=UK_Men_s_Vintage_Coats_Jackets&hash=item27ca0dbebe

I thought one of you might find it of interest.

$T2eC16RHJHQE9nzEzNkdBQJOq20ezg~~60_12.JPG

Will it be possible to give back this coastal Irvin it`s original colour? It really looks fine without to much wear, only it seem to have lost all original colour. A bit of a restoring project perhaps, but lovely piece of Irvin.
Good luck with the project

alsendk

A-List Customer
irvinNorgeMorgan.png
[/IMG]
irvin2.png
[/IMG]
Two norwegian friends of mine, happy with their Irvins, when driving their open Morgan in the mountains of Norway.

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The comment from the guy at the RAF Museum amused me: it will not be of any interest to collectors of WWII flying clothing because it does not look like what it is supposed to look like, but it is clearly still wearable and does not seem to have done the skins much harm. Clearly it is of inerest to WW2 collectors. You do see sueded looking Irvins and the finish IMO just adds to the character of the jacket. I would be interested in knowing the contract number from the label.

irvinsuit

Familiar Face
The comment from the guy at the RAF Museum amused me: it will not be of any interest to collectors of WWII flying clothing because it does not look like what it is supposed to look like, but it is clearly still wearable and does not seem to have done the skins much harm. Clearly it is of inerest to WW2 collectors. You do see sueded looking Irvins and the finish IMO just adds to the character of the jacket. I would be interested in knowing the contract number from the label.
Hi Andrew, I am anticipating the jacket arriving around the end of the week. I will examine the label and advise you accordingly. I am also planning to photograph the irvin prior to it going to visit Will at Aeroleather to be spruced up, and I'll provide photos of the project once it's completed. Without having actually handled to jacket it looks late war to me as the interior fur panels are a mix of many different colours and fleece textures. Also the hood fur bears no resemblence to any of the body panel interiors that I can see in the photo. These are the hall marks of 1944 / 1945 issue jackets. I will however bow to your far superior knowledge on this subject. ;)
.ps My 1944/1945 assertion is based on pictures of irvins from the 2nd Tactical Air Force volumes 2,3,&4 by C.Shores and C. Thomas.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Andrew, I finally took the plunge and bought this today as a restoration project. This is my first ever Irvin jacket and the hooded variety are my favourites so I'm a chuffed as budgie.
I'll be phoning Will at Aeroleather tomorrow and I'll take it to the borders next week. I cannot wait to see the jacket and to try it on for the first time.
Happy happy days... :D

Photos, lots and lots of photos please!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot