Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

Mk Vb

New in Town
Ernest your jacket is beautiful...
No idea how you could have let it sit in the closet on the last 30 years of icy London winter days! You must be super strong willed, especially as yours looks so inviting and lived-in.

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
This forum will be the worse off without your presence. I've followed your posts both here and at the VLJ and have always found them to be of value and entertaining. I look forward to following you on The VLJ.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Ernest

New in Town
Sorry to see you go Spitfire, we didn't get to know eachother that well. Might get a friend to set me up on VLJ and thank you Mk Vb! The weather hasn't been too bad.

Last edited:

Ernest

New in Town
Hi Andrew, sorry I missed your posts! Just getting used to how the forum works. I will get some close ups as soon as I can, will be away for a while and a friend is helping me taking photos and getting them on the computer but thank you for replying so quickly! In all the years I've never ever seen a label configuration as on this jacket. I've never seen one in the aviation world for sale, this one came straight from the pilot.

Feraud

Bartender
Ok fellas lets try this again. I've done a bit of necessary housecleaning.
Going forward lets keep our posts relevant to the topic at hand.

If there are any off-topic issues you'd like to discuss please pm a moderator.
Thanks.

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok fellas lets try this again. I've done a bit of necessary housecleaning.
Going forward lets keep our posts relevant to the topic at hand.

If there are any off-topic issues you'd like to discuss please pm a moderator.
Thanks.

Thanks for re-opening the thread.

Thanks for the cleanup.
I saw "Reach For The Sky", 1957. Some nice jackets. Being an Irvin thread, I wondered if others (esp Brits) have seen this one?

B-24J

One of the Regulars
My Second Irvin

A few pics of my second Irvin.

Irvin-1.jpg

Irvin-Open.jpg

Irvin-Main-Zip.jpg

Irvin-Sleeve-Zip.jpg

Irvin-Collar-Rings.jpg

My first Irvin is 44 inches around the chest and fits a bit loose - which I like.

This second Irvin measures 43 inches around the chest and fits well with just a shirt - even if just a little snug.

I'm guessing (Judging by the FL Irvin size chart) that my first jacket is a size 5 and the second is a size 4?

John

alsendk

A-List Customer
A good looking Irvin indeed.
Is it a Wearing made jacket? Edward can say I`m shure.
The patchwork on the frontpanel looks fine.
Is it comfortable to wear?

aswatland

This multi-panelled jacket was made from recycled flying trousers between 1943 and 1945. It is unkikely that Wareings made it as it does not have the wide belt loops and large collar rings which are features of this maker. The square ended collar, narrower belt loops and smaller collar rings are features generally associated with Irvin Air Chute. However there were several sub contractors who could have made it on behalf of IAC whilst they concentrated their efforts on parachute production at this stage in the War.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
It fits well as a jacket - but would not do if one wanted to wear Battledress underneath.

Next week I'll try a little Pecard's Antique on a panel or two.

Thank you Andrew for your great knowledge of details!

John

aswatland

Yes it's a wartime B-3. Goodness knows why he doesn't wear an Irvin when many people involved in making the film had served in the forces in the War, including former RAF officers, who should have been able to distinguish a B-3 from and Irvin! Having said that occasionally B-3s were worn by RAF aircrew, perhaps following a swap!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner