Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

Graemsay

Practically Family
How warm are Irvins?

I'm under the impression that they'll roast you alive in anything less than subzero temperatures, but was wondering if anyone could confirm. How well do they work as a winter coat in somewhere like the UK?

Thanks.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know how you would measure how warm an Irvin is as the thickness of the pile and skin varies. Why not buy one and find out! ;)I wear one most days in the winter and am kept nice and warm.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Thanks Andrew, that answered my question. I was trying to figure out if they'd be too warm for a British winter. If yours gets regular wear then apparently not.

aswatland

I assume you live in London. Several members live in London and wear Irvins in the winter. Are you after an original or a repro Irvin. I have an electrically wired Irvin on Ebay at the moment if you are interested.

rick howarth

New in Town
How warm are Irvins?

I'm under the impression that they'll roast you alive in anything less than subzero temperatures, but was wondering if anyone could confirm. How well do they work as a winter coat in somewhere like the UK?

Thanks.

Don't bother bringing it down to Cornwall in the winter. I wore my Eastman for only the second time this winter and only because it finally stopped raining for a day accompanied by a rare cold snap. Took the old MG out and it was the perfect jacket for that but the three mile dog walk that followed got a little warm and some odd looks from the natives. "Ere, what be you then ?"

Graemsay

Practically Family
I suspect that one of the lighter fleece jackets, such as a B6 or D1, would be more practical as a day-to-day wear.

It looks like the UK is about to get snowed in, so you might get a little more wear out of it yet. :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
R.A.F. Irvin Flying Coat - Full Length

Extremely rare original full length Irvin. Looks just like a standard jacket down to the belt but has a lower 'skirt' area with Irvin trouser style patch pockets to the front. However, do not be mislead into thinking this is an extended or modified jacket. There are no seams at waist level and the coat has clearly and deliberately made like this and with a full length front zip.
It physically measures approx. 46” so should be OK for around a 42” chest. The length of the coat is approx. 40" from the collar seam to the hem or 47" including the upright collar. The leather is generally in good condition retaining much of the original chromed finish. It has the usual wear and tear associated with most Irvin jackets and although a little dry to the touch it retains reasonably good flexibility. When we obtained the coat some of the leather seam bindings had been covered with newer wider pieces. These have been carefully removed and the original leather restitched. This does mean that there are stitch holes adjacent to the original bindings in places (see photos). There is also a small stitched repair to the back of the jacket and another small patch on the left cuff. The short dense fur lining has a few small areas of moulting here and there but nothing serious and is good overall. It retains original brass 'D-o-T' zips, the main complete with leather pull tag. Also complete with original belt, chain hanger, collar strap and rings plus eyelets to the rear of the collar for the elastic 'collar strap' (not present). No label nor any evidence of one. Almost certainly of late 1930s vintage this is a good example of the rare Irvin coat. It is the only example we have ever had but do know of two others that were found many years ago. Probably the only opportunity you will have to own one of these. Please view the additional photos listed separately for a clearer indication of condition

864.jpg
[/IMG]

I do not believe that I have seen an Irvin like this before here at ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets

Sorry only just saw this post now.

Well this is a new one to me and most unusual.

Andrew, have you seen one of these before? Is it a one off or is there the possibility that several of these were made?

Very intriguing.

aswatland

I have never seen one exactly like this before. It may have been a special order from Irvin Air Chute as it does not fit the Irvin spec. It harps back to WW1 when long coat were extensively worn by pilots in the RFC. When I first saw it I thought it was a conventional jacket that had be adapted in the theatre by taking the pockets, zip and fleece from flying trousers to make a long coat. Detailed photos would be very interesting.

irvinsuit

Familiar Face
Irvin Trousers Zip not working

Guys,

I have a disaster on my hands. My much loved and occasionally worn Irvin trousers are useless at the moment because the runner on one of the leg zips no longer joins the teeth. Instead it the runner just runs ( slightly roughly ) down the leg without joining the teeth on either side of the zip.
Can anyone advise if there is a way to maintain the runner and return these brilliant trousers back to fully functional please ?

Thanks

Irvinsuit.:eeek:

aswatland

Guys,

I have a disaster on my hands. My much loved and occasionally worn Irvin trousers are useless at the moment because the runner on one of the leg zips no longer joins the teeth. Instead it the runner just runs ( slightly roughly ) down the leg without joining the teeth on either side of the zip.
Can anyone advise if there is a way to maintain the runner and return these brilliant trousers back to fully functional please ?

Thanks

Irvinsuit.:eeek:

I suspect the slider is worn and that is why the teeth will not engage. If you replace the zip slider/puller with a Dot or Lightning one it should work fine.

aswatland

It could well have been made for an open cockpit aviator, who might have served in the RFC in WW1. IAC supplied members of pre-war flying clubs and if the jacket was made like this in the factory, would not have been made under an Air Ministry contract.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It could well have been made for an open cockpit aviator, who might have served in the RFC in WW1. IAC supplied members of pre-war flying clubs and if the jacket was made like this in the factory, would not have been made under an Air Ministry contract.

That would make sense Andrew. A former RFC/RNAS pilot whose Burberry or Gamages had seen better days but was used to flying in a full length flying coat.

Fascinating and tremedously unique Irvin, and just maybe the rarest Irvin variant there is?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It may well be Tim, but not one for me though!:)

Haha! Maybe warrants a photo and small blurb in your Irvin book Andrew, under "One-offs and Variants" in the appendices section of the book ;)

Hope you're getting plenty of opportunity to wear a few of yours at the moment!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana