Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

devilish

A-List Customer
A question for the Irvin experts here. Did RAF ground crew get to wear Irvin's as well or was it just pilots? The reason I ask is, my Grandfather was an instrument mechanic on Spitfires and Hurricanes during the war. He was stationed in a few countries at different times from the English coast to Africa and part of why I would like some type of Irvin is wondering if he would have maybe worn one?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unlike aircrew ground crew were not issued with Irvins. They did wear issued sleeveless leather jerkins over their service uniforms. However some ground crew did manage to acquire Irvins during the War.

devilish

A-List Customer
That's pretty much what I thought. I'm going to choose to think that Granddad was resourceful enough to 'acquire' himself an Irvin. No real harm in embellishing the family legend a little. ;)

gawain

New in Town
Just to reply to the point raised by Graemsay a while ago - the allowance from the pit to pit is, I find over generous but allows for the variation in fleece thickness when it comes to jackets that have varying levels of wear etc..

Andrew, have you had any luck in placing the maker of that early war jacket you kindly bought from me last week? I should be interested to know. Rick tells me it is a pre-war IAC?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, Simon, I too believe it is a mid 30s IAC jacket. The Dot deco zips were made under a 1928 American patent and may well have been imported into the UK from United Carr, the owner of the Dot brand.

Mk Vb

New in Town
8709240675_459198cdb6_b.jpg

SO as the Northern members think about putting away their Irvins, it's time to start putting mine on...
A 1941 IAC from Simon. It was quite original except for one recent repair to the shoulder, so the good people of Aero asked for it to be sent to them for a bit of R&D before forwarding it on to me down here in Melbourne.
Got to me a few weeks ago and autumn is kicking in, so at last it's cold enough to enjoy. A size 8 with enough arm and body length for my 6'2" carcass.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Great photo Mk Vb. Just about to get my ELC 1940 Pattern out of the cupboard for the approaching winter.

The joys of the cooler months!

Mk Vb

New in Town
Smithy I have a buddy who flies, and he can rent a Tigger Moth up near Wang...we is going to take our jackets back up where they belong soon!
And Butte, Pasadena sounds nice and steamy...I'm guessing you're just wearing a crusher cap, wife-beater and cargo shorts and sipping pina coladas by the pool huh?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Smithy I have a buddy who flies, and he can rent a Tigger Moth up near Wang...we is going to take our jackets back up where they belong soon!

Now you're talking!

My dear old Dad did some of his initial flight training on Tiggies just after the war in NZ.

I've been meaning to do a flight with that crowd who operate one from Point Cook - wearing my Irvin of course!

Post pics of the flight when you get round to it. You'll have a blast, wind in the wires and all that ;)

Mk Vb

New in Town
Thinking about the taxy experience in a Lancaster in the UK (back there in August for sister-in-law's wedding)....that sounds pretty special too. I'm suspecting my Irvin was a bomber pilot's - there's zero wear on the sleeves/shoulders...you could almost swing a cat in a Lanc cockpit!
I know one of the guys who helps work on the planes at Point Cook - he has had a hand in the slow re-build of their mustang which had to come in wheelsup a few years back.

ALM

New in Town
I recently wore my pre 1939 IRVIN in my Tiger... Ill put some pics up in the near future....Unfortunately at the time I didn't have a C type helmet but I have fixed that problem now!

ALM

New in Town
Has anyone seen a ladies IRVIN? I once saw a picture of an IRVIN with buttons... Private purchase maybe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24