Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

B-24J

One of the Regulars
I have never seen one exactly like this before. It may have been a special order from Irvin Air Chute as it does not fit the Irvin spec. It harps back to WW1 when long coat were extensively worn by pilots in the RFC. When I first saw it I thought it was a conventional jacket that had be adapted in the theatre by taking the pockets, zip and fleece from flying trousers to make a long coat. Detailed photos would be very interesting.

While the website from which the jacket was sold claims copyright on the pics, perhaps I can describe the coat a little better.

The jacket's two front and back panels are continuous to the mid pocket level. The "skirt" seams start there.

The main zip is a DOT Made in England as are the sleeve zips.

The elastic collar strap is missing, but the attachment points are there.

The pictures do not show a label, but it looks like there may have been one.

The main zip is continuous to the hem and the hem is continuous around the back (no slit). I think the coat does not seem a likely Air Ministry issue item for the time as the length would likely interfere with the lower parachute straps.

All-in-all, aside from the length and pockets, it is a match for an early IAC.

The buyer purchased an interesting item. I do not recall the price, but it was considerable.

John

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This CC jacket is very rare with the black fleece used for the body and it should have sold. It's small size would have counted against it IMO.

alsendk

A-List Customer
paul-mccartney-mary-mccartney-album-cover_zpsac596d44.jpeg
[/IMG]
tumblr_lsgvy0imSZ1r3kq6ho3_500_zpseee9ae3c.jpg
[/IMG]
My bass hero, supposedly wearing an original Irvin ? though I don`t see any collar strap

Last edited:

irvinsuit

Familiar Face
I suspect the slider is worn and that is why the teeth will not engage. If you replace the zip slider/puller with a Dot or Lightning one it should work fine.
Hi Andrew, many thanks for the advice. Can you guide me as to where I can get a replacement slider, would Aero Leathers have one ? Once I have located a new slider, can you advise as to how I fit the thing. Do I need to dismantle the zip fastener retainer box at the top of the trousers to fit the slider ?

Thanks

Irvinsuit

aswatland

paul-mccartney-mary-mccartney-album-cover_zpsac596d44.jpeg
[/IMG]
tumblr_lsgvy0imSZ1r3kq6ho3_500_zpseee9ae3c.jpg
[/IMG]
My bass hero, supposedly wearing an original Irvin ? though I don`t see any collar strap

This does not look like an issued Wartime Irvin, but an inferior post War jacket with a Clix or Aero zip. Pride and Clarke used to sell them in the late '40s to 1960s. They are regularly listed on Ebay and sell cheaply.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Andrew, must admit I've trawled the A-1 thread repeatedly and occasionally end to end, but I haven't done the same with the Irvin threads.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I was wondering if anyone could advise on Irvin sizing.

Simon's web page suggests that the chest size is 2" to 4" below twice the pit-to-pit measurement. (So a jacket that's 24" pit-to-pit would fit a 44" to 46" chest.) Aero tend to use 4" to 5", and I'm guessing that a shearling jacket is thicker than a leather.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Some of my old Irvins.

Here are a couple of my old Irvins.
If any members own these I would be interested to hear about them even if you no longer the owner anymore.

This on was originally a Coastal Command/Fleet Air Arm jacket. The hood has been cut off and sewn professionally, feint traces of yellow paint remain at edges of turned back fleece around the collar area. Eastman Leather Clothing replaces one shot sleeve zip , the eyelet half of the belt and two zip pull tabs. All for under £75(but it was a while back)
A great warm and wearable jacket.

P1240006.jpg

Next jacket, probably my favourite. Big and roomy and incredibly warm, just too big for me, still had the original chain hanger.
Paid £200 then sold on within the week for a nice little earner. Probably too cheap but then we all like a bit of profit so no worries. Dont know anything about this jacket so I am interested in how old it was.

P1230015.jpg

P1230014.jpg

Next, my regular wearer. Sold this to a guy in Norway for £440 about 5 years ago.

2007_1007Irvin0005.jpg

Last one, probably has the best story to go with it.
A guy phones me and says he has an original Irvin he bought when he was 14 during the 1960s "it's a bit rough so how about £25?"... so I expected some damage. Took a look at it. offered him a £5 or the two cans of larger on the back seat of my car. He took the beer and I sent the jacket to Aero hoping they could salvage the leather facings and metalwork, who swapped it for two pairs of horse hide riding gloves they were selling back then. Result;)
Enjoy, Johnny T
2004_0712_144735AA.jpg

aswatland

Thanks for posting these pictures Johnny. The first jacket was made by Links between 1943 and 1945. The second jacket is an Irvin Air Chute jacket dating from the mid 1930s. The third jacket is typical mid-War production and could well be the work of Robinson and Ensum, but I would need to see more details to be sure. I particularly like the IAC jacket with the almost russet coloured leather.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for posting these pictures Johnny. The first jacket was made by Links between 1943 and 1945. The second jacket is an Irvin Air Chute jacket dating from the mid 1930s. The third jacket is typical mid-War production and could well be the work of Robinson and Ensum, but I would need to see more details to be sure. I particularly like the IAC jacket with the almost russet coloured leather.
Thanks Andrew, I put them in the right section/topic this time.
No more info I'm afraid, I just used to take a picture of a jacket I owned for posterity so to speak.
The Irvin Air Chute jacket was/is massive, about a good 46-48, I know it's done the rounds and been sold on a couple of times,has it not passed your way within the last 10 years? I thought the small stain on the back might have been recognisable.
John

alsendk

A-List Customer
Neither. Just tought it could be of interest for some members here who are still looking for the real stuff.
I have decided to stick to my AlC jacket which really have kept me warm during this long lasting Winther.
I can live without it being close to accuracy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW