Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

kowalski

Practically Family
showFullSize.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Witold łokuciewski and Irvin jacket (dyw 303) 1958r
foto from the book A Question of Honor
PS ps, very good book you read, who does not read, a story which many people have forgotten :(

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wonderful Irvin Kowalski and in super nick, you're very lucky.

Andrew, even though that's got far too many panels :D , that really is in fantastic condition. I simply can't get over how good the fleece is in those last two photos especially!

Sadly Tim, it's a little short in the body for me so it's now for sale.

miger

New in Town
Well, my original Irvin has arrived,i've turned it inside out and it's going to hang in the garden for a few days to get rid of it's slightly musty scent.
It's in pretty good nick,it will need a couple of stitches in a seam that's slightly come away and the leather will need treating as it's a bit dry and it's missing the main zip leather puller that i'll have to try and sort out later. The worse thing was that it had a leather pocket GLUED to the inside fur, it was obviously done probably wartime but i've removed it as it's not original, it's pulled some of the fur with it but it's ok.
It's got beautiful long Devon fur inside and main zip and sleeve zips are all 'DOT Made In England'.
It's the first Irvin i've seen close up and i'm amazed at the thickness of the fur, the weight of the jacket and just how well put together they were!
Will post some pics later.

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
congratulations miger our sheepskin coats are a symbol of freedom and faith :) picture immediately!, to show the repair and after repair, it will be interesting if you have dry skin, use the fat to the skin, gently massage , the skin alive

miger

New in Town
Hi Guys!
I haven't been able to leave the Irvin out in the garden to freshen up for very long due to the weather and being at work , hopefully i'll get more time outside over the weekend (weather permitting)
I've now vacuumed the fleece and i've got colour matched thread and sewn the couple of loose bits.
Could i ask if anyone has got one of the teardrop-shaped leather zip pullers they don't need or know how to make one etc? ---i have the 2 sleeve pullers but not the main zip one.
Cleaning/repair is very time consuming when you have other things to do, but i'll get there and i'll post up pics when done.

Last edited:

aswatland

Making the zip pullers is quite straight forward and I have done it many times. You will need to make a cardboard pattern first. Draw the shape of the puller allowing enough leather to insert through the zip puller. Place the cardboard template on a piece of leather and carefully draw round it. Repeat this for the other section. Pin them together with the finished side on the outside. Sew together on a sewing machine or hand sew. Thread the narrow end of the leather pull through the hole in the metal puller and stitch it across at least a couple of times on the sewing machine. Good luck.

aswatland

Larger ones do come up for sale from time to time, but if well presented on Ebay and in good original condition fetch premium prices. Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search.

aswatland

The first jacket has been up for sale for quite a long time and is over priced. The second jacket is a 1937 USAAC B-3 made from undyed shearling. It may have seen use in the RAF assuming the roundel dates from the war.

kowalski

Practically Family
this is true, gentlemen, I am looking for the original rubber collar (irvin), you do not have to sell? so hard to find

aswatland

You can buy a repro elastic collar securing strap from Eastman Leather Clothing. Individually originals reach high prices on Ebay.

Gee

Familiar Face
Before catching up with this thread I was reading another concerning white R.A.F. sweaters where I learnt that they were originally and officially designated as "frocks". I know that Andrew will be aware of this, and is only being helpful and descriptive when he refers to the elastic gizmos as "elastic collar securing straps", but I have an old advert from The Aeroplane magazine, September 7, 1939 for The Irvinsuit which uses the description "suspender band". Strange to think that some of the bravest and best young men this country has ever produced actually went to war in frocks and suspenders!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff