Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

John Lever

One Too Many
Hi everybody!
Here´s a few pictures of me wearing my ELC Irvin Jacket 1942 pattern!
It´s an older example from the eighties..
Hope you enjoy it!
Best regards, Andreas!
andyboy6661
[/URL][/IMG]
andyboy6661
[/URL][/IMG]
andyboy6661
[/URL][/IMG]// [/IMG]

Andreas,
I have owned that version of the Eastman, they have great sheepskin with very nice fleece. It suits you, nice jacket.

miger

New in Town
Seen the photo of the offering from 'Thefew',misplaced on the original Irwin thread, and i have to say it looks absolutely terrible!
Whoever makes these things has surely never seen an original Irvin!
I'd love to know how many of these they actually sell.

Philrs

New in Town
Do you find that the inner seam of the cuff zips digs in at the top ?

Yes. The problem appears to be that the carton tubes that are the arms of the jacket are so rigid that if I bend my arms the inside of the cuffs rubs quite hard against my wrists because the arms do not flex enough.

Just imagine inserting your arms into two carton tubes, with your hands coming out the tubes, roughly at the level of the wrists. If you try to bend your arms in the tubes, your wrists will rub against one end of the tubes.

Consequently, the shearling is already bald where the rubbing happens. I have had the jacket for 6 months! My original 1943 Irvin does not have this problem. 6 months vs. 67 years... There is something wrong in the new design here...

Last edited:

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Hi Philrs,

When I was considering an ELC Irvin, they were kind enough to send me samples of the sheepskin. This was very good of them to do and quite fortunate as the photo of the 1940 model RAF jacket on the website is a bit misleading in regards to color. As I had mentioned on another post, I tried different leather treatments on the sample as an experiment. The Pecards Antique Leather Dressing worked best on the sample to soften the skin - something most regulars in the Lounge I'm sure already know!
I applied two light applications with two days in between each to allow for drying. After several days of drying, I then did a light buffing to cut down on the shine.
Of course if you do apply something to soften the skin, always do a little test on an inconspicuous area first.

My favorite repro Irvin is a toss-up between John Lever's 1993 ELC and Soren's Aero. John's does look a bit like Andrew's original 1941-42 Wareings. The ELC in Merino wool he sold just after he got the 1993 looked good too! Soren's Aero has a perfect fit and great skin color.

John

Andyboy

New in Town
John, as there´s a lot of discussion about the newer ELC Irvins and the loss of quality and different colours of the sheepskin and fleece I´ve just compared my early ELC and my original Irvin which dates from 1938/39. Both sheepskin AND the fleece are nearly identic to the original (though I know that some details as the zippers are incorrect which in my opinion don´t affect the great looks of the jacket)!
BTW do you still own the ELC with the reddish finish and the great merino whool size 40? This one´s a real beauty!

John Lever

One Too Many
Here's a nice old repro made by the Cockpit of Southampton, long gone unfortunately. They called it The Flyers Jacket, it's as good an early Eastman.
EastmanB-3075.jpg

EastmanB-3073.jpg

EastmanB-3076.jpg

Now for sale in Classifieds

Last edited:
This is interesting stuff. Several of us have said that the current batch of broken grain ELC Irvins are not great and are certainly inferior to ones made ten + years ago. For the same price you can buy a wearable original rather than a cardboard garment with tubes for arms.

Yeah, some of the pix were really disturbing on those. The skins look awful, and not what I'd expect for the money or reputation of that company.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
As a matter of interest when did the ELC fleece go downhill?

The fleece on my 1940 Pattern which I bought new in 2007 is fantastic and very similar to the originals I have seen.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Read something on the VLJ forum on how to get new, thick - almost standing - lambswool in repro Irvins to get a more original - flat, curly - look:
Soak it and let it dry in the sun.
Anybody ever tried that?

My Aero Irvin still has very thick fleece - and I would like it to be more flat and less cumbersome.
(In fact I think if Aero used more original sheepskin - instead of thick lambskin - I could have gone several sizes down.)

John Lever

One Too Many
Hi Andrew,
Somewhere between Canada and the UK.....I hope to receive it this week and will post some pics.
Here's an old photo -
MerinoIrvin005.jpg

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Hi Andrew,
Somewhere between Canada and the UK.....I hope to receive it this week and will post some pics.
Here's an old photo -
MerinoIrvin005.jpg

Surely that one will keep you happy when it's back in your hands, John? Top repro, looks all that it should be...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner