Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Improvement? I think so:

L1050789.jpg

L1050791.jpg

L1050799.jpg

Here you can actually see a small area where the fleece still - or almost still - looks like the old one.
L1050800.jpg

And what else happened to the jacket - did it shrink? No!
Did it ruin the surface of the leather? No!
Did the leather become more stiff? Yes!
But the next step will be a good, solid treatment with PECARD- That should take care of that - and the jacket will be as good as old!!!!
I like it!!!! :)

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Looks like that dunk in the Channel did her a world of good ;) Nice job mate, I think that has made quite a difference.

doctor dan

New in Town
Had to Log In because I just wanted to say that I have been following your progress and your jacket looks great. The only problem I can see is that it wil cost me money because I will have to start saving so I can order a jacket for myself. Thanks for the post

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all - and sorry about that doctor dan ;)
The last thing I planned to do now - the Pecard treatment - has to wait at bit.
John Lever gave me lots of info and support at the VLJ Forum, and he told med to let the jacket dry up completely.
Which could take a week or more.
The leather would also change and get a more vintage look in that time and processe - and then I will decide wether I will give it Pecard. Or leave it be.
My only problem now is...the summers comming up!!!!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I want to see some pics of the whole jacket now Søren!

Have you applied the Pecards yet and is the jacket all good?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I want to see some pics of the whole jacket now Søren!

Have you applied the Pecards yet and is the jacket all good?

At the mo it's still hanging in a dry, ventilated room waiting for the Pecard treatment - if necessary.
The jacket looks absolutely fab - in my opinion. And as John L. stated - even the outside changes too.
Will post some pics of the whole jacket asap.
(By the way - and quite off topic: How's the family doing - almost time now, isn't it? Dorthe want to see pics - and me too. Not necessarily here though ;) )

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
(By the way - and quite off topic: How's the family doing - almost time now, isn't it? Dorthe want to see pics - and me too. Not necessarily here though ;) )

She's due on Tuesday so anytime now!

I'll send some photos through when the little girl arrives :)

Windsock

A-List Customer
Best wishes Tim, and glad it's you not me for those many upcoming sleepless nights- yes, it's not just your Wife :p Looking forward to hearing good news.

Soren, well done with the modifications too, looks a whole lot better. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Aside from the fact that the fleeces were probably no where near as processed then as they are today, most would have been exposed to all sorts of weather over their working lives, and a lot would have involved some type of precipitation.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Best wishes Tim, and glad it's you not me for those many upcoming sleepless nights- yes, it's not just your Wife :p Looking forward to hearing good news.

Thanks for bringing that up Andrew :)

I'll send some emails round with pics upon the grand entrance boys!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Found a bunch of pics taken when the Irvin was new - just out of the box in September 2009.
Posted them side by side with pics taken today. After wearing the jacket for one and half year and soaking/drying it twice.
Before:
AEROIRVIN004-2.jpg

After:
L1050805.jpg

Before:
AEROIRVIN002.jpg

After:
L1050801.jpg

Before:
AEROIRVIN005-1.jpg

After:
L1050806.jpg

Before:
AEROIRVIN014-1.jpg

After:
L1050812.jpg

(Sorry - could not find a jacket closed image from Sept.2009.)

Obviously the jacket has changed. To the better, I think. Much better!!! What do you think?

It has also become "stiffer" after the soaking, but I think a Pecard treatment - and some heavy use - will take care of that.
But it also feels more snug. It fits me better now. Just like in the ol days when we wore our new Levis while swimming in the sea and then let them dry up on the body, to get that "perfect, personal fit". I know for certain, that I have not grown - so the jacket must has shrunk to my size.

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Looks good to me mate. It has definitely made a difference and looks all the better for it, good job!

Andyboy

New in Town
Soren, I´ve been observating your jacket treatment and I really agree that the jacket looks so much better now! I wouldn´t say that it is necessary to put pecards on it as it may break in a little more without it and then it may even look better..
Best regards, Andreas

5thumbs

New in Town
That looks great Soren! I think that fleece in particular looks so much better than in the 'before' pictures. I think any further curl will come naturally with age - that is if you can bear to wait. This is a picture of my old ALC jacket after about 15 years :

sleeve.jpg

As youcan see this is quite a contrast to the straight fluffy look of my new jacket that I posted a couple of pages earlier. By the way I was surprised at how straight the fleece pile was innthe pictures of your Aero when it was new. I though it was only ALC that blowdried the fleece :D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
After watching my jacket "age with beauty" after the rough treatment, I have decided not to give it Pecard for the moment.
I like the rough, slightly wrinkled surface far too much. To me it came as a bonus, as it was really the fluffy (blowdried) fleece I was after.

Gee

Familiar Face
I was put off repro jackets when I bought a badly described ebay repro. Your jacket however has made me think again. Fresh out of the box, frankly it looked like a very nice fur lined flying jacket. After the soaking it looks like a proper WW2 Irvin. Well done that man!:eusa_clap

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thank you!
I do believe, I have finally realized, that I will NEVER, EVER find a original WWII Irvin in the right size.
So why not do the utmost to make a repro look and feel as close to the real thing as possible.
And be happy with that!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I AM looking x 4, Paddy - But no luck so far.
But I put my faith in a Plan B involving a certain fellow lounger. (He knows)
Will come back on that in a while... ;)

Besides that: It's going to be a l-o-o-o-o-o-ng summer!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner