Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"All The King's Men" another retro film

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just saw a commercial for All The Kings Men starring Kate Winslet, Sean Penn, and Jude Law. I don't know much about the film, but from what I saw it looks good. It takes place in the 40's and the costumes look quite good. Has anyone seen any adds or heard any info about this film? It's coming out this fall. I'm so surprised that there are now four films being released this fall based in the Golden Era. Who know's, maybe it will bring back a return to style....

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Wow! Another retro flick! Black Dahlia, Hollywoodland, now this!! Maybe some Hollywood producers are lurking in the Lounge and are answering our prayers for "classic cinema".

:eusa_clap

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I saw the trailer for "King's Men" last week, and am really looking forward to it. Kate W. is one of my favorite modern-day actresses, and I'll see anything she's in -- and while I'd had some misgivings about Sean Penn, after seeing him in the trailer I get the feeling he'll be just fine as Willie Stark (the Huey Long pastiche). He's got the fishy eyes and the goofy haircut down pat.

Also saw the trailers for "Black Dahlia" and "Hollywoodland" at the same show -- and I'm terribly annoyed that we're not getting any of these films where I work. It takes a lot to get me into the multiplex, but these will do it!

Daisy Buchanan

I too am a Winslet fan. She is one of the few modern day actresses that I actually enjoy watching, and she's not all emaciated like a lot of other starletts! I'm also a little bit of a fan of Jude Law. Definitely not the best actor, but there's just something about him.....hmmmmmm...... OK, I'm back. Not a huge fan of Sean Penn either, but I agree, he looks like he's pulling off the part quite well. Maybe the Holywood directors are lurking around the lounge, and they're getting all of there inspiration from the ideas in our posts. I'm looking forward to all of the vintage style movies that are coming out. I haven't seen a hollywood movie that I actually liked in ages, and like Lizzie, it takes a lot to get me to the big movie theaters. But, I think this fall, I might be there a lot.

Feraud

Bartender
I think Sean Penn is a fine actor. His performances in films such as Thin Red Line, Sweet and Lowdown, State of Grace, and Carlito's Way show depth and diversity in choosing roles. Penn wrote and/or directed The Indian Runner, The Crossing Guard, and The Pledge. Recommended films if you have not seen them.
The last three Penn films I saw in a theater I did not like. Is it me or is his acting style getting loud, blustery, and studded with flowery speeches a la Al Pacino?
With the dearth of period pieces out there I really should not complain. :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Hasn't anybody here ever seen the original version of this movie? It's a great film - great enough that I've got my usual response to remakes for this one too: WHY ON EARTH DO WE NEED THIS?!?

(However, I must also admit to being a fan of Kate Winslet. She's a fine actress and I personally find her so attractive that it's downright painful!)

Mike in Seattle

Yep - the original was great - Broderick Crawford in the lead in the mid 50's in black and white.

But I don't know about the rest of you, but it looks like I'll be heading down to the local megaplex the next three weeks:

09/08 - Hollywoodland
09/15 - Black Dahlia
09/22 - All the King's Men

They may not be great (but then again, we'll see) but certainly better than most of the drek and dregs that have been floating through the cinematic mainstream of late.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
You are so right. I am hoping these movies will be shown at our beautiful art deco theatre The Crest. I do not go to the megaplex.
cresttheatre.jpg

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
The original won 3 Academy Awards; Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress. I will go for the story, but I know I won't be expecting the original. I just hope it stays close to the original book.

Daisy Buchanan

DancingSweetie said:
You are so right. I am hoping these movies will be shown at our beautiful art deco theatre The Crest. I do not go to the megaplex.
cresttheatre.jpg
That is an amazing looking theater. We have a theater that looks almost identicle to that one, The Coolidge Corner Theater, right down the street from our house. They just re-did the entire theater to it's original Art Deco decor, and now they are putting little art deco accents all over the entire area. It's awfully cool. I hope the movies that I want to see will be playing there, for I too hate the megaplex.

I hadn't an idea that this was a re-make. I'll have to watch the original. From the reviews you all are giving it, it sounds really good.

Daisy Buchanan

LizzieMaine said:
I'm jealous, Daisy -- you live right near Coolidge Corner? I've been to shows there, and just love the place. Great neighborhood too!
Yes, It's a great location. It's a little over a half a mile from our condo. I used to work there (in Coolidge Corner) years ago, so convenient. Hemingway and I are there a few times a week, great Sushi restaurants, a few really good Jewish Deli's and of course the area wouldn't be complete without a wonderful ice cream shoppe. I can't believe you've been there, you'll have to visit, and I'll take you there.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
AK'sM

I will catch this with Idlewild; perhaps re-read Robt Penn Warren's
book by the same title-think 'All the King's Men' won a Pulitzer prize.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
"All The King's Men " Trailer

Hello, I have now seen this trailer 4 times in the theatre. This is the kind of trailer where it never seems to end showing you the whole film kind of feel.

SC :eusa_doh:

PS I'm going to pass on seeing this one! [huh]

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
That is an amazing looking theater. We have a theater that looks almost identicle to that one, The Coolidge Corner Theater, right down the street from our house. They just re-did the entire theater to it's original Art Deco decor, and now they are putting little art deco accents all over the entire area. It's awfully cool. I hope the movies that I want to see will be playing there, for I too hate the megaplex.

I avoid the big suburban megaplexes, too. Whenever I go the movies, I'll always choose one of our two theaters here in downtown: the Sundance, which is all Art Deco-y:

179279131_db3e0fdcc8.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

and the Palace (on the left side of the first pic), which is done in the Streamline Moderne style:

82200685_25c1169fc1.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy