Always Coca-Cola? Ain't Nothin' Like The Real Thing!

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Matt Deckard, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Miss Neecerie

Miss Neecerie I'll Lock Up

Oh no you don't.....

http://www.sodapopstop.com/products/detail.cfm?link=10

has it.....here in Lovely Southern Cali....and this is what WildRoot had, since I was the one who went and got it from the store and made -sure- that it was not the 'new' pepper.....

2. *****************
    This site looks to be an alternate site for Galco's Old World Market in Highland Park.:eusa_clap

They also have some of the old time candies, gum and breath mints, such as Sen-Sen. Chowards, Blackjack gum and Beemans. plus an interesting selection of beer.

3. Absinthe_1900

Absinthe_1900 One Too Many

Here in Texas, we don't have to go to special soda stores to get the original formula, I can just walk a couple of blocks:beer: to a regular food store to get my supply.:whistling

Of course we do export to the corn syrup blighted frontiers.;) (Insert bragging image of Gary Cooper from the the movie "It's a Big Country" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043680/ yes I know he was really from Montana.;) )

4. mysterygal

mysterygal Call Me a Cab

I never did care for coca-cola....my favorite has always been root beer, from the bottle of course ;)

5. Mike K.

Mike K. One Too Many

You found my weakness!

Ahh Coca-Cola!! Even though they screwed up switching from glass, and later to corn syrup, I still crave the stuff and now even hold stock in the company. Does that make me a "coke addict?" Thanks for the tips on where/when to locate cane sugar sweetened Coke...I'll definitely be keeping an eye out. A few years ago living in Virginia, I managed to acquire some old wooden crates full of the last 6.5oz glass-bottled Cokes. The drinks were made using mountain spring water!! Talk about a taste difference!! Smooth & mellow with just the right amount of fizz & acid.
    -Mike

6. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

Right now Side by side, Mex Versus US, glass bottle to glass bottle.

Mex disolves then dissapears

US coats then leaves a smell on the tongue.

It's really quite a difference when consumed one right after the other.

What I go through for science.

By-the-by...

We can also order cans of the Cane sugar Dr. Pepper here in California.

I prefer out of the bottle

Thanks to Neecerie for showing the store where I can buy it by the bottle locally.

Pics will follow.

7. Vladimir Berkov

Vladimir Berkov One Too Many

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff! A friend took me to the Dr Pepper museum in Waco a few weeks ago and we had ice cream sundaes made with Dublin cane sugar Dr Pepper syrup on top!

8. "Crest" toothpaste's "Original Flavor" is the flavor of... root beer. Honestly.

9. magneto

magneto Practically Family

Is original-flavor Pepsodent the same?!? I always thought it tasted like root beer/sasparilla, but figured I was just imagining things.
    (Yes, 3 cheers for retro toothpaste*)

*Old radio jingle, sing along now: "You'll wonder where the yellow went/When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!"

10. I don't know about Pepsodent (I've never tried it).

You, my dear Magneto, are the only other person I know who detects root beer flavor in old-fashioned toothpaste. We should be given a prize or something.

11. Mike in Seattle

Mike in Seattle My Mail is Forwarded Here

And then there's Lavoris red mouthwash - an interesting taste from childhood that I seem to be craving of late. Try explaining that to someone who doesn't have a clue what you're talking about. "It was sort of cinnamon-y, but with a little tartness..."

12. Matt Deckard

At the little soda shop.

The ladies picked up the C. Howards gum and candy... The gum is... well, good for smokers breath.

The ladies can tell you more.

[​IMG]

13. Also known as "Chowards".

14. Matt Deckard

Only by those that lack our refinement!

15. magneto

Perhaps we are what is called "super-tasters"! If you'll allow me to tie together the topics of glass bottle fan-dom and dental hygiene, I'm so mad I can't find Listerine in the glass bottle anymore. I last saw it at Rite-Aid months ago and am kicking myself for not stocking up then. I agree that plastic imparts an "off" taste to...everything.

16. Zepp

Zepp New in Town

On my last trip to Miami, I found the violet mints on the candy shelves of many Cuban grocery stores. I had never seen them before and was intrigued enough to try a pack. They're GOOD!

17. magneto

I liked the violet mints...but then I stopped drinking...(JOKE!).
    C.Howard also makes very good Lemon, Spearmint and Peppermint Mints (available in a few unlikely San Francisco locations). I can chomp through a whole lemon pack in 1 afternoon.

18. Legal Concepts

Legal Concepts One of the Regulars

WTFBBQ!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:
    Look at the shipping rates!:( :( :( :(

19. Miss Neecerie

Miss Neecerie I'll Lock Up

Yes I currently have a pack of the lemon mints which are -really- good....yummyness. I shall have to get the other two flavours on my next soda buying trip.