Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Always Coca-Cola? Ain't Nothin' Like The Real Thing!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Yep, count me in as another "Dublin Dr. Pepper" drinker! Dublin, and the factory that still produces the cane sugar Dr. Pepper, is only about an hour away from me. We always stop on our way through there and visit the facility. In fact, here's a shot of the sign on the side of the building from about a year ago:
47b4dd02b3127cce9bb960bf087200000045118BbM2zhw3aW

They also have a really cool mechanical billboard with a pinup girl sitting on a swing that rocks back and forth, drinking her bottle of DP.

They sell that stuff everywhere here - the local grocery stores stock it, liquor stores, heck even convenience stores have it now! It is slightly pricier than "regular" Dr. Pepper, but it also comes in a super cool little glass bottle.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Fortworthgal, I have heard that if you bring the old-style 12-ounce glass Dr Pepper bottles to the Dublin plant they will take them and sell you filled ones? Do you know if this is true?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I called the bottling plant in Dublin. They don't take the bottles back, unless they are the really old 6.5 or 10 oz bottles for their collection.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Here is another pet peave of mine... Why do the Coca-Cola bottles from the last few years have a different shape than the traditional hobble-skirt cocoa bean look?

Check them out when you go to your local store and see how the bottom of the glass bottles now curves in like you see on the plastic bottles instead of the standard skirting out. It just isn't right!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well...

If you look again Matt, the first example you posted is actualy curved too... Here is a 1940's example of the classic green glass bullet proof bottle.

oldcokebottle.jpg

I also say bring the original cap back!

CC11.jpg

=WR=

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Root's right: the bottles have been altered various times.

Coca-Cola also plays with its famous cursive lettering: every decade or so, the company v-e-r-y subtly "fattens" and "thins out" certain parts of each letter. This is intended to impart a subliminal impression of "newness" to the consumer, even if he/she is totally unaware that the lettering has been altered.

Sneaky, huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass