Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amazing estate sale finds!!

Alon

One of the Regulars
Gents,

I went to an estate sale for the first time today and found some interesting things. Initially I was slightly disappointed since the website did advertise a lot of antiques. They were either gone in the first hour or there weren't as many as advertised, either way, am I glad I went!

The first item is this pocket pocket pocket dictionary. Notice the size of the thing, the Canadian quarter next to it is the same size as an American quarter.

Paid $1.00

2701478271_4cde21d22b.jpg

The next item was a fully functioning type writer in excellent condition with a carrying case.

Paid $5.00

2702290492_3ef6e56074.jpg

The last item simply blew me away and I couldn't believe this wasn't snatched in the first minutes of the sale. Either the estate manager doesn't know a great deal about antiques or else I'm a fool, but take a look for yourselves and judge. For the pièce de résistance I ask that you follow the links to my Flickr account because I'm not sure what the Lounge's policy is on displaying swastikas.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2701475803_8b00a67880.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3073/2702288222_916e18cef4.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/2701474109_a32b5bbb2d.jpg

Notice that the porcelain is English made, not German. I am therefore inclined to believe that this set is from Anglo-India from at least before the 1930's when the swastika came to be associated with Nazi Germany. The company is "The Crescent China" marked on the back of both pieces.

Asking price $50.00. Paid $10.00.

Not a bad day, eh?

Alon

One of the Regulars
I also believe I spotted Lounge member Sixsexsix, but not entirely sure. Where you up in Richmond Hill today?

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I do like the china you have there. I would agree with the sentiments of age also. Somewhere in the States was a railroad with a Swastika logo and the tag line or nickname of "The Swastika line" A few years back one of the Japanese trading card or comic companies caught quite a bit of flack for a Swastika emblem on some piece they had produced. It was merely a good luck logo in the culture of the character it was related too. I'm sure others can say more but wasn't the Swastika both "forward" and "reverse" both upright and canted a symbol of good luck or fortune in many, many cultures both east and west before the Nazi's hijacked it?

Matt

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Here's what I got:

This is actually a really light blue:
2ab99798.jpg

703603b2.jpg

48fbcf46.jpg

And an old copy of Little Men (same author as Little Women) because I have always wanted to read it.

Total: $42. I didn't try to bargain - I suck at it!

Also if this was your first one let me tell you they definately are not usually like that! That sale was a lot more busy than most I have been to, I think bc they advertised it so much on craigslist. Also the fact that they advertised all kinds different stuff brings out a lot of buyers. I much prefer smaller quieter ones which are less crazy (if want the websites for the places that run the smaller ones PM me, they usually have email lists you can sign up for)

alexandra

Practically Family
sixsexsix said:
(if want the websites for the places that run the smaller ones PM me, they usually have email lists you can sign up for)

I'd like to know any places you do! I do most of my auctioning/estate sales/garage sale hunting way out in the country and am really unaware of anything that goes on in the actual area. Crycrycry.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MPicciotto said:
I do like the china you have there. I would agree with the sentiments of age also. Somewhere in the States was a railroad with a Swastika logo and the tag line or nickname of "The Swastika line" A few years back one of the Japanese trading card or comic companies caught quite a bit of flack for a Swastika emblem on some piece they had produced. It was merely a good luck logo in the culture of the character it was related too. I'm sure others can say more but wasn't the Swastika both "forward" and "reverse" both upright and canted a symbol of good luck or fortune in many, many cultures both east and west before the Nazi's hijacked it?

Matt

Yes, that's correct. The swastika symbol that we presently associate with Nazi-era Germany has been a good-luck symbol of many cultures, including the American Indians and India cultures stretching back many generations. My friend was floored that anyone would even associate Hindu-related items to Nazi Germany.

The actual symbol has been representated backwards, forwards, sideways and upside down as well as in miniature. There is a very good scene in the beginning of The Da Vinci Code showing this in a few slides shown by the Tom Hanks character and how this particular symbol is used.

:eek:fftopic: I put up an ebay auction for an Indian friend, and carefully explained the items were not Nazi swastikas but instead were symbols of good luck in Hindu and linked to a wikipedia web page in case there was any doubt. My friend was floored that anyone would relate Hindu symbols and dieties to Nazi Germany.

Good finds everyone!

Alon

One of the Regulars
sixsexsix, I wasn't 100% sure it was you because I only know you from that small icon under your nickname. Also, I once said Hello to someone I knew over Facebook and they freaked out! Some people don't take kindly to it, I don't know why... I was the bearded guy in a linen shirt. I spotted you when we were both waiting in line.

Great items, that fan is a cool find. Does it work?

Meanwhile, I've found out that The Crescent China was an English company that existed from 1920 to 1926 when it was bought out by a company in Ohio and its name changed. Still have to confirm the source.

Alon

One of the Regulars
sixsexsix, remember this image from Craigslist?

01150001020601030920080725e92277d8f57c0bf3240073eb.jpg

See the lamp on the far left? THAT's what I was hoping to grab. :)

Vintage Betty, the manager of the sale told me I won't be able to sell those plates on eBay, that he tried but that swastikas, no matter the context, are forbidden. That's probably why he didn't mind getting rid of them at a fifth of the listed price.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
:rage: :eek: You can have Swastika's pictured but you can't use the word!! :eek: :rage:

I once sold a German Calvary Saddle on eBay after seeing two others that sold with crisp clear close ups of the Eagle clutching the Swastika. Well Iisted it and it was yanked by eBay. Only coins or money bearing the Swastika can be sold because, get this all other items were souvenirs or political symbols of that hated regime!! I blew up at the eBay customer service department on that one asking how a saddle could be considered a political symbol and for that matter EVERY item manufactured for the military during the period of the Third Reich. Of course my appeal made no difference to the divine law that is eBay. But re listing it with the words "National Symbol of Germany from 1933 to 1945" did the trick. Saddle went to somebody who was going to restore it and preserve it for what it was. A Military Calvary Saddle. And it almost didn't sell because of a faded stamping obscurely located and no larger then a quarter.

My advice enjoy the plates and don't worry about selling them. They are neat and with the former sellers frustration at selling them they could have very well been dumped in a trashcan when the estate sail was completed had you not bought them.

Matt

sixsexsix

Practically Family
If you ever wanted to sell them, there is a guy on Queen W near Roncesvalles whose antique store carries a ton of German/swastika memorabilia, I bet he would buy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot