Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Accents in the Golden Era

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Voices and accents

The quiz is mostly phraseology. I've lived in several places, around Philadelphia the longest, but don't have a Philadelphia accent. It placed me squarely there with Yonkers and Providence as runners-up.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
I certainly don't remember any Canadian saying "aboot" during the time my family lived there.

While I went to college with a couple of Canadian girls who "abooted" to a laugh out loud extent ... none of the guys laughed, however, because they were breath-takingly beautiful. Women might not have treated them so gently.

My Dad (from a French Canadian family) grew up in North Dakota, a place that is sort of teased for it's accent (think the movie "Fargo") and that shares many vocal mannerisms with Canada. In his day, however, that Scandinavian "Fargo" accent barely existed. It came in when the Norwegians appeared seemingly some time after WWII. Most of his contemporaries were British or Germans. My cousin from that area, who must be in his 80s, talks so stunningly fast and with such precision the locals who have taken on the more Canadian or Norwegian style can't keep up with him. Their style is so slow and their sound so distinctly different, it's a wonder they can understand him at all.

I have often wondered if the "flat" California accent isn't just a mash up of all accents to the point where they just disappear ... the "pink noise" of language. It is interesting that most English speakers sound like Californians when they sing. Perhaps it's the end of the Frontier, the elephant's graveyard of language the place where all accents go to die. Obviously, I'm talking about California up to about 1975. I don't know what you call Moon-Unit Valley speak!

Nobert

Practically Family
My Dad (from a French Canadian family) grew up in North Dakota, a place that is sort of teased for it's accent (think the movie "Fargo") and that shares many vocal mannerisms with Canada. In his day, however, that Scandinavian "Fargo" accent barely existed. It came in when the Norwegians appeared seemingly some time after WWII.

I thought the accents in Fargo were supposed to be mostly Minnesotan (albeit exaggerated almost to the point of caricature), where there is definitely a Norwegian influence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails