Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amusing quotes from people mis-dating you

My favorites are when I am driving one of my 50s vehicles. Some fool will always ask if I have owned it since it was new. Uh yeah dude. Let's do the math. 2014-1955=59 years. I would have had to be at least in my 20s at the time so say add 25 years=84. Riiiiggghhhtttt. You are about half right. lol lol
People have no concept of time.

Either that or James is really the Count St Germain. :p

Last edited:

Veronica T

Familiar Face
They must have thought you were acting the part of someone who lived there in 1858. Although, I seriously doubt there were any Japanese in Wisconsin at that time.

USA did not attack Japan until 1852 so it is doubtful.

The Sanford house is part of the Yankee Crossroads Village. Some visitors would make the suppressed laughter sound when hearing the word "Yankee" and I would have to explain, if the group was American, that we are Yankees. But in this context we specifically mean peoples who originally settled the New England states and then came to Wisconsin.

Sometimes being told Americans are Yankees was met with resistance especially if they had a southern accent and I would have to explain further, "Are you familiar with the phrase 'Yankee go home'?" Then, if the light bulb over the head still did not go off, I would add that Babe Ruth played baseball for the New York Yankees.

I never fielded such questions on any of the farms or exhibits. Only the Sanford house.

That was the one time I worked there as an interpreter. The next time, as a donor to the museum, I was a hostess for one of summer evening cocktail parties for donors.

TIP: When wearing a dress with a bustle, always wear the petticoats. When silhouetted against the setting sun .....

Someone asked me about a plant in the Sanford's garden. "It's an eggplant," I answered and everyone laughed. Then one of the real docents came over and confirmed it really was an eggplant. Damnedest thing I ever saw. Looked like chicken eggs on a stalk. Then we really had a good laugh.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My favorites are when I am driving one of my 50s vehicles. Some fool will always ask if I have owned it since it was new. Uh yeah dude. Let's do the math. 2014-1955=59 years. I would have had to be at least in my 20s at the time so say add 25 years=84. Riiiiggghhhtttt. You are about half right. lol lol
People have no concept of time.

Don't feel to bad, when I was flying airshows in the 80s and 90s, I was asked a lot by kids if I flew during the war? Meaning WWII!

F. J.

One of the Regulars
How 'bout aubergine . . .

[...]
Someone asked me about a plant in the Sanford's garden. "It's an eggplant," I answered and everyone laughed. Then one of the real docents came over and confirmed it really was an eggplant. Damnedest thing I ever saw. Looked like chicken eggs on a stalk. Then we really had a good laugh.

If you really wanted to through 'em for a loop, you could have called it an "aubergine."
That's what the British call them.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
If you really wanted to through 'em for a loop, you could have called it an "aubergine."
That's what the British call them.

Aubergine & Alaska White, the greatest color combination ever put on a Triumph!
1967_triumph_bonneville_t120r_16_zpsf471ede6.jpg

Good Ol' Days

New in Town
I don't know how 'mis-dated' this would be. But when I was at work a few years back, I decided I'd go in with my red lips, curled hair (which I'd done the night before using the rag curl technique). I wore a black dress with little white flowers on, and I think blue 40's style wedges. Anyway, one lady came up to me and "I really love the Spanish/flamenco look you're going for!"

Well, it wasn't quite the look I was opting for, but I guess it was ok since I like that look too.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
When I lived in the USA, I got a few people commenting on my black fedora - asking me if I was Amish. But now in Vietnam, people either ask if I'm English or just say, "Sherlock Holmes!!". I suppose the pipe might have something to do with it. One of my bosses told me, "You're a 70 year old trapped in a 20 year old's body." I told her that I was flattered by that. It made me laugh.
But honestly, if I'm going to look the way I do, I've got to be ready for that sort of stuff and take it with grace and aplomb.

St. Louis

Practically Family
I usually wear late 1930s / early 1940s, mostly head to toe, and the other day at a gardening class a lady came up to me and said (very nicely) "You look .... interesting. Are you ... let me see ... eastern European?"

I really don't think there's anything remotely eastern European about my appearance. I'm part Italian and part typical American mutt. I think it must have been the get-up. Still scratching my head over that one.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
At the Twinwood festival last year, Dusty Limits, a well known, openly gay, singer/MC/comic, asked if anyone wanted a request. My wife and I had seen Dusty sing an irreverent version of Ella Fitzgerald's "Let's Do It, Let's Fall In Love." I walked up to the stage, dressed in the suit you see in the avatar, to ask him if he would sing that particular song. As I approached the stage, Dusty said I looked like an undertaker. I don't know if that was for a cheap laugh or whether he was mocking me.

I usually wear late 1930s / early 1940s, mostly head to toe, and the other day at a gardening class a lady came up to me and said (very nicely) "You look .... interesting. Are you ... let me see ... eastern European?"

I really don't think there's anything remotely eastern European about my appearance. I'm part Italian and part typical American mutt. I think it must have been the get-up. Still scratching my head over that one.

I have to ask....what exactly were you wearing?? I lived briefly in eastern Europe (Ukraine actually, I guess that's considered eastern Europe) and the bulk of the ladies I encountered dressed like...well, nothing that I'd remotely consider 30s or 40s.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A group of lads passing by muttering..."Inspector Gadget!"
In NYC late at night walking the sidewalk, a HOBO from the shadows shouts
..."Who the 'F' do you 'think' you are! Eliot F'ing Ness?!!!"
(That had me smiling into the wee small hours that night!!)

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I got my first gangster comment today. I went into the local UPS store, and the guy at the counter said the typical "You look sharp" comment, and I replied with a thanks. However, he continued "Now all you need is a tommy gun" and "You look like you are from the 1920's or the 1930's" I never got a gangster comment before, and I wasn't even wearing something that looked like a gangster. I was wearing my Aris Allen pants, my suspenders, and a brown fedora, with my Wolverine Spectator Shoes and homemade tie. However, I always accept a comment, regardless of if the commenter was mistaken.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Well a fedora, tie and specatators are more than enough for the "gangster" association.

You should be positively surprised that he got the period almost right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points