Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An interesting trip to the mall

Spats McGee

One Too Many
This past Saturday, my wife called me at work to see if I wanted to join her for lunch. The meeting that I had arranged for Saturday had fallen through and I didn't really want to work much past lunch, anyway. She and I settled on a Chinese restaurant in our local mall & had lunch. I was wearing my Burlington Coat Factory wool fedora, which has escaped being a true "beater" only by virtue of the fact that I haven't found a replacement yet. (I do have my eye on the Akubra Stylemaster, though.)

Anyway, when I arrived at the restaurant, I took off my hat, set it on its crown, and proceeded to browse the menu. While the waiter took our orders, I noticed that he kept glancing at my hat. I fully expected to hear one of the usual remarks, like "nice hat," or "Jake Blues," or what have you. No sooner had he finished taking the order than his hand shot out, retracted, then shot out again and flipped my hat over onto its brim. (I guess he wasn't sure if he was allowed to touch my hat.) "I can't let you do that," he said. Puzzled, I asked why. Here's what he told me: Where he comes from, your spirit is contained in your head and placing the hat on its crown allows some of your spirit to escape. Maybe what he said is accurate, and maybe he was just yanking my chain, but I thought it was interesting, at any rate.

Living in Little Rock, buying a fedora from a real brick-and-mortar store is more than a little tricky. I've pretty much resigned myself to Burlington Coat Factory & the internet. Nonetheless, after lunch, I told my wife that I wanted to go check Dillard's, just in case. I'd noticed that they had a few straw hats during the summer and thought that they might, just might, carry a couple of felts now that colder weather is approaching. Imagine my surprise when, in fact, Dillard's had felt fedoras. They said "Mallory" and "made by Stetson," if I remember correctly. (Please don't quote me on that. I've slept since then.) Looking at the price tag, I suspect that they were wool, but I didn't really check into that, as they didn't have my size.

RBH

Bartender
Hey Spats!
Neat story... I dont think he was yanking yer' chain.
I grew up with the [I think ...old world] tale of ...
DONT PLACE YOUR HAT ON THE BED....
have to say I done it a time or two... NOT on purpose though !

As to the Dillards hats. I have bought many of them and a couple in Little Rock! They are nice enough hats for the money, but many of our vendors much les our custom hatters will give you a better deal for the money!

as we say here on the Lounge..
WE NEED PHOTOS!!! :D

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
Hey Spats!
Neat story... I dont think he was yanking yer' chain.
I grew up with the [I think ...old world] tale of ...
DONT PLACE YOUR HAT ON THE BED....
have to say I done it a time or two... NOT on purpose though!

I almost hate to ask, but curiosity is killing me. Why don't you place your hat on the bed? [huh]

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I've been shopping in that same Dillard's since I was a kid here in LR, but never noticed fedoras before. Granted, I wasn't interested in fedoras for most of those many years, so I might just not have noticed them. But even since I started wearing hats again a couple of years ago, I bet I've been in that store a dozen or more times and still never saw them before.

I'm afraid that I don't have any photos to share, but the hats did look decent enough. They wanted $70, if I remember correctly. However, they didn't have my size . . . and I think you're right, RBH. There's better deals for the money out there.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spats, for $20 or $30 more plus shipping you can get yourself an Akubra made of genuine Australian rabbit fur. They are very nice hats and not all that expensive.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Oh, I know. I check Everything Australian every day, because their price in US$ changes according to the exchange rate. That Stylemaster in mid-brown is calling me.

funneman

Practically Family
I went to visit my media buyer recently and as I sat down across from her desk I removed my fedora and placed it, brim side down on the edge of her desk, making sure the front of the brim hung over the edge .

She sat there talking with me, looking back and forth from me to my hat, looking very uncomfortable and finally she jumped up and said something to the effect that she couldn't stand it any longer. She picked up my hat and placed it on a nearby chair.

When I asked her why, she said she didn't really know, but it probably had something to do with feng shui. [huh]

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
funneman said:
When I asked her why, she said she didn't really know, but it probably had something to do with feng shui. [huh]

It may have felt like an intrusion into her personal space, like standing too close to someone. She may not have been able to explain it but it obviously made her uncomfortable.

I've always been told that one should never place something personal on someone else's desk when visiting unless you ask first. This advice generally comes when discussing dos and don'ts of interviews but seems like it could apply at all times.

Cheers,
Tom

Stetsonian

New in Town
Hats, Beds, & Badluck

From this website:
"Do not place a hat down on its brim, as it may flatten and lose its shape. Place western cowboy hats upside down on their crown in a clean place. Cowboys believed that this would catch all of the good luck. Old cowboys also believed that you should never let the brim of your hat touch the bed, as doing so brought bad luck."

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Methodological confusion

I used to set my hat upside down upon its crown whenever I doffed it; others would routinely try to be helpful by turning it upon its brim. I have since taken to turning the brim up and setting the hat crown-up, then simply turning the brim back down when I don the hat. This method has led to far fewer interventions, although I still prefer to hang it upon a hood whenever I can. It also has the advantage that the motion of turning the brim back down can be done very suavely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21