Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An invitation to dress down.

db5zx

Familiar Face
Casual vintage

First of all, my apologies to you if this has been discussed before in another thread, but I did a search and couldn't find anything. But then again, I am at work right now and can't spend hours searching through the vast library of invaluable information this forum is.

I would like to know what casual clothing looked like in the late 30's and early 40's. I am working for a company where "business casual" is on the higher end of clothing style (yes, you guessed it, I am a journalist :) ). Now, after almost a year at my company, I finally managed to getting everybody used to me wearing a hat every day. But if I came here in a nice double breasted suit, vest and tie, they would look at me like I finally totally lost my mind.

Still, I would love to dress more vintage than the occasional 1950's suit pants that I wear without looking totally out-of-place. So, what did people in the 1930's and 40's wear when they did not have to wear a double breasted suit and tie?

Thanks!

Jens

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Gab shirts, sometimes jeans and more casual gab trousers. plaid shirts were pretty in. you see the occasional stripey t-shirt on the younger set that is playing around the house.

sweaters and collars on shirts spread.

Wide legged jeans with 5 to 6 inches of cuff showing. root has more input from here.

19353-vi.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
There is such thing as "dressing down" and there is dressing down. It does not have to be men's polo shirts long enough to be considered a dress and butt crack hugging jeans to emulate your favorite incarcerated hip-hop star.
Check out Dashiell Hammett circa 1938.
scan0022.jpg

He is wearing what looks to be a t-shirt w/slacks and looks very cool!
I get sick of excuses about how hot it is (80-90 degrees.. come on!) or how comfortable your cheesy low slung jeans and flip flops are.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree, I'm so sick of looking at people looking all shlumpy. Dressing down for me is a skirt and t shirt. I must admit, I do wear flip flops, but just around the neighborhood. I can't remember the last time I wore shorts. America has become so sloppy, there are so many pretty summer dresses that are comfortable. Why must young ladies sport a pair of ugly cotton shorts with some silly logo splashed across the tooshy?? When they could put on a light airy linen dress, or a cotton skirt with a cute polo shirt, and be incredibly comfortable and totally dressed down.

Feraud

Bartender
Senator Jack said:
Funny you should write about this today, Feraud. I just finished writing an article about the very same thing. I guess the weather here has got us thinking along the same lines.

Regards,

Senator Jack
It is definitely the weather.
btw, will we get a chance to read your article? I always look forward to them.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I'm going Hemingwayesque Guyebera, Aloha shirt or linen camp shirts, linen shorts and canvas deck shoes.. Long bill cap or panama. comfy cool and semi dressed.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I was just ruminating on this very subject today.

I came to the realization that people are running around dressed in their underwear. :eusa_doh:
Barely 60 years ago or so, this would have been unthinkable.
So I have to ask again,...What is this world coming to?

Feraud

Bartender
Maj.Nick Danger said:
So I have to ask again,...What is this world coming to? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
We have forgotten what it means to "dress for the occasion". What people seems to miss are the differences between dressing to work on your home, go to work for a living, or attend a wedding.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
We have forgotten what it means to "dress for the occasion". What people seems to miss are the differences between dressing to work on your home, go to work for a living, or attend a wedding.

Precisely. I wonder why so many people in general don't understand this concept? I can only blame it on the propagation of popular "culture" and the resultant brain washing. :(

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I supose that most of us are given the "why are you dressed up?" when we know that we're dressed down...

This thread would be a good place for people to either post more photos like the above of Dashiell Hammett or pictures of themselves dressed down.

I'll have to do a bit of editing of my own pictures first. She who must be obeyed has given me the 'thou shall not' when it comes to posting my mug on the net...:p

Naama

Practically Family
I have to admit, if it's hot like that, I look like..... I don't know if there's a right word for it out there..... But only when I'm at home , and that alone (or well, my family :p ). Yes, I'm week too, but I rather die then showing it!

Root, your pic is so great, wouldn't think that it was taken after 1950 if I didn't knew!

Naama

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
I totally agree. Hem and I got all dressed up for the theater, thinking it would be an elegant evening, and people were wearing jeans! Jeans to the theater in a major city. I couldn't believe my eyes. Also, every year we go see The Boston Pops performance of John Williams pieces. It's such an elegant evening in a beautiful music hall. People with the good seats sit at tables, drink champagne and nibble on cheese and fruit while listening to grand music, and the majority of people wear khakis with some sort of polo shirt. They cant even put on a button up and a tie. Tim always wears a suit, I a fancy dress, and we get funny looks. I don't care about the looks though, because I know I'm not the one who looks funny. Such a shame. I know that when I go out, I want to look nice, especially if I'm in a nice environment like a theater. I don't know why people choose to dress so frumpy. It can't be a comfort thing, because a nice dress can be so much more comfortable than jeans and a Tshirt. I feel better about myself when I'm dressed presentable, even nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic