Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An invitation to dress down.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I came to the realization that people are running around dressed in their underwear. :eusa_doh:
Barely 60 years ago or so, this would have been unthinkable.
So I have to ask again,...What is this world coming to?

Yes, I'm one of those people for whom lingerie tops are still lingerie, camisoles are underwear, and rubber flip-flops are shower or pool shoes.

This isn't really new, though. About 13 years ago, it was a trend for women to wear a sweater or jacket with leggings. I thought, "What happened to their skirts?" Since leggings are the next big thing, thought, we can look forward to women wearing leggings, camisoles, and thongs (on their feet and elsewhere). In other words, going about in the jammies. Oh, wait, they already go about in pajama bottoms.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We have a display of photos in the downstairs lobby at the theatre, one of which is a shot of a typical audience c. 1945. Every man visible in the shot is wearing a suit and tie, and every woman visible is in a nice dress. The pic wasn't taken on a special occasion, either -- it's just a typical mid-forties night at the movies in a small, working-class Maine city.

Now, I do see women still trying to look nice when they come to a show -- skirts, makeup, good shoes. Not everyone, certainly, but a good proportion -- and while they may not dress as nice as they did in the vintage era, the effort's still being made. But the men rarely seem to make any effort at all -- it's sloppy t-shirts, baggy shorts, and dirty sneakers or flip flops all around. I dunno -- maybe guys nowadays are so insecure they think an effort to spruce up for a night out is somehow effeminate?

Feraud

Bartender
Daisy Buchanan said:
I totally agree. Hem and I got all dressed up for the theater, thinking it would be an elegant evening, and people were wearing jeans! Jeans to the theater in a major city. I couldn't believe my eyes. Also, every year we go see The Boston Pops performance of John Williams pieces. It's such an elegant evening in a beautiful music hall. People with the good seats sit at tables, drink champagne and nibble on cheese and fruit while listening to grand music, and the majority of people wear khakis with some sort of polo shirt. They cant even put on a button up and a tie.
That is exactly my gripe about "dressing for the occasion"! I do not have a problem with jeans, t-shirt, or flip flops. It is when and where people choose to wear them that strikes me as sad.
I was recently walking past a funeral home with my son. There were a half dozen people waiting to attend a wake. Let me describe some of the items people were wearing. Jeans (baggy of course), sneakers, work boots(!), evening style dresses (a little too short and WAY too glittery for a funeral), and everyone on a cell phone. My more liberal friends tend to write this off as "cultural differences". Nuts!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm pretty much in the same boat as Daisy. Weekend wear for me is frequently a skirt, fitted t-shirt or polo top, and either sandals or flip flops. I accessorize, and I always have on makeup and my hair is styled. I do dress casual, but I feel like when I do, it isn't "sloppy," and I do know what is situationally appropriate (i.e. not wearing flip flops to the theater or to meet the President.)

Daisy Buchanan said:
I totally agree. Hem and I got all dressed up for the theater, thinking it would be an elegant evening, and people were wearing jeans! Jeans to the theater in a major city. I couldn't believe my eyes. Also, every year we go see The Boston Pops performance of John Williams pieces. It's such an elegant evening in a beautiful music hall. People with the good seats sit at tables, drink champagne and nibble on cheese and fruit while listening to grand music, and the majority of people wear khakis with some sort of polo shirt. They cant even put on a button up and a tie. Tim always wears a suit, I a fancy dress, and we get funny looks. I don't care about the looks though, because I know I'm not the one who looks funny. Such a shame. I know that when I go out, I want to look nice, especially if I'm in a nice environment like a theater. I don't know why people choose to dress so frumpy. It can't be a comfort thing, because a nice dress can be so much more comfortable than jeans and a Tshirt. I feel better about myself when I'm dressed presentable, even nice.

We were just discussing this at home last night. Back in May we went to weddings for 2 of our friends. Both weddings were in the evening and one was in a very upscale setting. My husband was a participant both times, and both times I wore a nice dress with heels, accessories, cute matching vintage clutch, etc. I was *floored* by what most of the guests were wearing. I saw a woman in jeans and a t-shirt with a sweater tied around her waist! I want to know what universe you're living in if you think that is appropriate attire for a wedding. :eusa_doh: One guy showed up in jeans and a long-sleeved dress shirt untucked, with tennis shoes. The majority of the female guests were either wearing skintight dresses that laced up the back, or skirts short enough to reveal their knickers, no stockings, and shoes that would have been more suited to ladies of the evening. I guess I didn't realize that weddings were the new meat market! At the outdoor ceremony, one woman's skirt was so short that she actually had to hold it down the entire time so that it didn't fly up around her neck and ask the guy standing behind her to "Make sure her a** doesn't show." Safety tip: If your dress is so short that have to worry about that, wear something else. Please.

I really cannot get past how terribly people dress these days. It displays a complete lack of couth and social skills when one doesn't recognize what is appropriate attire for an occasion and what is not. It truly is appalling.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
We have a display of photos in the downstairs lobby at the theatre, one of which is a shot of a typical audience c. 1945. Every man visible in the shot is wearing a suit and tie, and every woman visible is in a nice dress. The pic wasn't taken on a special occasion, either -- it's just a typical mid-forties night at the movies in a small, working-class Maine city.

Now, I do see women still trying to look nice when they come to a show -- skirts, makeup, good shoes. Not everyone, certainly, but a good proportion -- and while they may not dress as nice as they did in the vintage era, the effort's still being made. But the men rarely seem to make any effort at all -- it's sloppy t-shirts, baggy shorts, and dirty sneakers or flip flops all around. I dunno -- maybe guys nowadays are so insecure they think an effort to spruce up for a night out is somehow effeminate?

I think two things are at work here. First, Americans these days have so much disposable income that very few things are events any longer. A day at the movies is a regular thing, not a special treat, so people don't feel the need to "dress up" for it. My wife and I went to a Steve Tyrell concert a few months ago, and exactly two people were wearing ties, Steve and myself. Even traveling was an event in the Thirties and Forties, since so gfew people were actually able to do it.

Secondly, ever since the Sixties the suit and tie have more and more come to represent the "establishment" and become a negative icon. The Seventies took the suit and tie to cartoonish degrees in an attempt to make them somewhat acceptable to the general public. Even a lot of the groups that brought coats and ties back, like the Young Republicans in the 1980s (think Alex on Family Ties) were really playing on that view, and were really more reactive than proactive.

Now we're into that "lowest common denominator" thinking, where no one wants to stand out, least of all for being seen to have put some effort into your appearance.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
But the men rarely seem to make any effort at all -- it's sloppy t-shirts, baggy shorts, and dirty sneakers or flip flops all around. I dunno -- maybe guys nowadays are so insecure they think an effort to spruce up for a night out is somehow effeminate?

I think you're right. They are totally terrified. In their efforts to have that modern day urban nonchalant gangster grungy bad boy look, they just come off as sloppy spineless wimps! lol
Maybe if women were to simply refuse to put up with this Beavis and Butthead "style" of disheveled slovenliness, things would revert back to the good old days and the tables would turn?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
LizzieMaine said:
Every man visible in the (1945) shot is wearing a suit and tie, and every woman visible is in a nice dress.

And yet, those very same people -- that very same generation -- went on to embrace double-knit polyester pantsuits and "leisure" suits in the '70s. In fact, these types of clothing had their origin in the 1930s. Believe it or not, the powder blue and the maroon pieces below are from 1937:

1930sEsquire159.jpg

Check out this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10535

Zach R.

Practically Family
Indeed, Mr. Chevalier, indeed.

Khakis and Polos ARE my summerwear for the most part. No offense to anyone on this board, but there is a fine line between wanting to look nice for the sake of it and just being an elitist. And I see many people leaning towards the latter as of late.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Zach R. said:

Khakis and Polos ARE my summerwear for the most part. No offense to anyone on this board, but there is a fine line between wanting to look nice for the sake of it and just being an elitist. And I see many people leaning towards the latter as of late.
The post was specifically refering to dressing for the symphony at Symphony Hall. It's not elitism; it's decorum.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Zach R. said:

Well said.
My summerwear consists of jeans, linen pants, capris, knit or wrap around skirts, t shirts, tank tops, "bohemian" clothing (otherwise known as international bits that have found their way to the thrift store. Yes real thrift store. Like the Salvation Army), flip flips, sandals, tennis shoes, unbrushed hair, unironed linen, and a ponytail if I'm lucky.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
And yet, those very same people -- that very same generation -- went on to embrace double-knit polyester pantsuits and "leisure" suits in the '70s. In fact, these types of clothing had their origin in the 1930s. Believe it or not, the powder blue and the maroon pieces below are from 1937:

1930sEsquire159.jpg

Check out this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10535

The guy in the maroon outfit looks just like Bill Murray! lol

Wild Root

Gone Home
Zach R. said:
No offense to anyone on this board, but there is a fine line between wanting to look nice for the sake of it and just being an elitist. And I see many people leaning towards the latter as of late.

OK Zach, who's being an "elitist"? What do you exactly mean by such a statement?

Clarify!

=WR=

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Zach R. said:

I think Khakis and Polos are great for a summer day. Much better than most of the outfits I've seen lately. I do think, like FortWorthGal, when going to an event like a wedding or a night at the theater/symphony, people should try to get a little dressed up. It's not that difficult to change that polo shirt to an oxford and to throw on a bowtie, or for a gal to change from slacks to a nice skirt and a sweater set. No, I was not leaning towards eliteism, I was just looking towards an earlier era when people got a little dressed up to go out.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Re: Wildroot

Well, I'm not going to name names, but as of late it just seems that the attitude in a few threads(usually in the observation bar) reeks of the "holier than thou" sentiment.

It might be miscommunication, or it might just be the heat getting to us all, I dunno, but something is definitely there.

Anyway, I didn't mean to cause a ruckus.

Feraud

Bartender
Well, I'm not going to name names, but as of late it just seems that the attitude in a few threads(usually in the observation bar) reeks of the "holier than thou" sentiment.

It might be miscommunication, or it might just be the heat getting to us all, I dunno, but something is definitely there.

Anyway, I didn't mean to cause a ruckus.
Hey, I do not want to see this thread locked down or deleted. It is titled An invitiaton to dress down! One should feel free to wear whatever one desires.
We should also recognize this place is The Fedora Lounge, not The Hippy Hangout! I would expect more members to appreciate fine clothes than not. My point in starting this tread was to facilitate conversation on how to dress down without looking homeless!
Sometimes people feel a need to vent their frustrations and do it in Observation Bar posts. I think the posts are harmless.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There's no reason to lock it down. Everyone is being civil.

Not to get too far afield, but we have a group of vintage aficionados and I am sure that many rue some of the standards of modern dress and voice this frustration. I don't think that any of these people feel superior to anyone else. I don't think that anyone who has ever worn vintage clothing in a mall in America in the early part of the 21st Century has ever felt superior to anyone. ;)

What people are doing is commenting and discussing clothing, theirs and others. Sometimes judgements are made. It's a topic of coversation. As long as it remains as such and people aren't personally attacked or singled out, then all is well. :)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
There's no reason to lock it down. Everyone is being civil.

Not to get too far afield, but we have a group of vintage aficionados and I am sure that many rue some of the standards of modern dress and voice this frustration. I don't think that any of these people feel superior to anyone else. I don't think that anyone who has ever worn vintage clothing in a mall in America in the early part of the 21st Century has ever felt superior to anyone. ;)

What people are doing is commenting and discussing clothing, theirs and others. Sometimes judgements are made. It's a topic of coversation. As long as it remains as such and people aren't personally attacked or singled out, then all is well. :)

Spoken like a true gentleman. :)
We can't help but be passionate about the styles of the past that we love. And I for one can't help feeling frustrated at the, (to put it mildly) overall lack of style and discerning taste in our, uhhmmm,...present culture. Not only in clothing, but in everything. I feel as though I'm trapped in a horrifying episode of The Twilight Zone at times! :eek:
I actually don't dress in vintage clothing, as it is just too impractical for me to do so on any sort of regular basis right now. But I do not dress in the current popular mode either. I guess I could say I'm in a transitional mode, and learning a lot about these things via the enlightening posts from fellow forum members.
One thing I do know is,...it is great to know that there are a few people out there in this world that appreciate the same things that I do.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes