Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Unofficial FL Radio Program

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I thought it would be fun if some of us began a radio program here. We don't have the capability to talk to one another, but we can sure type and read. So here's how it works. The program begins, opening music begins, the host introduces the guests, as they reply to the thread. You can post music, and state the music you are posting. We can discuss topics, but must be in the context of a radio station. Kind of confusing but it'll be explained through the posts to follow. Since radio is like reading, well, reading can be like radio. Leave it up to your imagination. Hear the station in your mind as you read.

The Concept:

My idea is not to actually "record" ourselves, but post our responses as if we were saying them over the radio waves. When you read each reply, you have to imagine in your mind that the member is actually speaking and not just typing.

So for instance, I type:

"Hello Ladies and Gentleman, this is Happyfilmluvguy speaking to you live from the Fedora Lounge. I'd like to introduce our first guest, Paddy"

Then you could reply by typing:

"Hello Happyfilmluvguy, and hello listeners of the lounge. Before I get started, I'd just like to say that it's been a real pleasure to be a member of an establishment like this. There's no place like it".

So in other words, we are not actually speaking, and the listeners are not actually listening. We are typing, they are reading, and as they read, hear us talking in their minds, creating an imaginary radio program. In an actual radio program, it is like reading a book. You see the imagines in your mind as they are described over the radio. So in this case, you are reading, and imagining us speaking.

houndstoothhat

New in Town
Sorry I didnt catch this earlier. Have you ever listened to any episodes of the Grand Ole Opry before? I know you may be thinking "Country Music??? No way!!" But hear me out. Its the longest running program of any kind anywhere. This Saturday will be their 4,238th consecutive broadcast. If you can't pick up 650 AM, you can always go to www.wsmonline.com and listen. Its really a neat experience. I especially love the commercials. It airs each Saturday night from 6:30-11:30pm CDT; There's also the Tuesday Night Opry (7p-9p) and the Friday Night Opry (8p-10:30p). But the only one that can be called Grand is the Saturday night edition.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I thought the thread referred to this guy:

kevin_federline.jpg

Maybe different call letters might draw the Floungers

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I like the premise to this....

But, HOW might we go about recording actual sound bites of our voices reading snippets from a radio programme and posting them on here so that anyone can HEAR what we SOUND like?

It must be do-able? like posting a U-Tube video, except we record ourselves???

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Internets no-no, meguesses. A post-your-own audiofile site would attract all manner of music pirates and their fellow-travelers, copylefties and copywrongers, and be dang near impossible for Big Media to police (it's loads easier to ID a video clip with audio than just an audio clip). Heck, they might even post their own stuff undercover, just to have basis to sue the site into submission.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
The Concept

PADDY said:
But, HOW might we go about recording actual sound bites of our voices reading snippets from a radio programme and posting them on here so that anyone can HEAR what we SOUND like?

It must be do-able? like posting a U-Tube video, except we record ourselves???

Well, my idea was not to actually "record" ourselves, but post our responses as if we were saying them over the radio waves. When you read each reply, you have to imagine in your mind that the member is actually speaking and not just typing.

So for instance, I type:

"Hello Ladies and Gentleman, this is Happyfilmluvguy speaking to you live from the Fedora Lounge. I'd like to introduce our first guest, Paddy"

Then you could reply by typing:

"Hello Happyfilmluvguy, and hello listeners of the lounge. Before I get started, I'd just like to say that it's been a real pleasure to be a member of an establishment like this. There's no place like it".

So in other words, we are not actually speaking, and the listeners are not actually listening. We are typing, they are reading, and as they read, hear us talking in their minds, creating an imaginary radio program. In an actual radio program, it is like reading a book. You see the imagines in your mind as they are described over the radio. So in this case, you are reading, and imagining us speaking.

If anyone understands this, let me know. lol

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
(Music: some mournful tenor sax ballad no one has on iTunes because it's a dub of a lacquered disc cut off the radio on a night so long ago it was nobody's business.)
(Music continues a little longer than you'd expect as
Fletch finishes a hacking, coughing fit of bronchial spasms even his otolaryngologist can't explain. No, he doesn't smoke, but if it helps, you can imagine him with an unfiltered Lucky smoldering away between two fingers as he sits in ridiculously high-waisted pants before the boom-mounted RCA 44 mic and slowly pots down the turntable. Music under Fletch as he speaks in a low, slightly bronchitis-rattled tone reminiscent of Jack Webb pre-Dragnet.)
Fletch: Howdy, stranger...welcome to Club Fedora...where there's no cover, no minimum, and no reservations are required. Drop by and check your lid. We'll fit you in somewhere.
Tonight, as usual, there's music...a little hot, a little blue, a little silly sweet stuff like nobody plays anymore. Maybe you'll find a memory or two. Maybe one you never even had. Sometimes they're the best memories of all, you know.
And there'll be a few stories along in there with the music...nothing earth-shaking or soul-searing, mind you...no thrilling adventures, no homespun wisdom. Just a tale or two about the places I've been...the things I've seen...the people I ran into along the way.
So hang awhile, why don'tcha...might be interesting. You never know.
(Music up and finish while Fletch pots down his mic and resumes coughing.)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
(happyfilmluvguy enters the room, starts coughing)

"Oh my gosh! It's a fire! Anybody in here? Fhew, where's all this smoke coming from....."

(happyfilmluvguy waves hands back and forth to clear the air)
(happyfilmluvguy sees a fire extinguishers, grabs it, holds the hand, and starts spraying away)

"Oh there is someone in here."

(Fletch, with a foamy cigarette in his mouth, ridiculously high pants, and fedora, is now covered in white mess)

"Hiya Fletch, thought there was a fire, didn't know you were in here...Sorry about that bud"

(Fletch, still sitting in his chair, sits completely still, his arms out, his face in a "what just happened, why am I covered in white" expression)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I guess the "join in" thing isn't working. haha.

Maybe a little more discussion on the idea might be better.

I don't know how a podcast works, to tell you the truth. My idea was more along the lines of just typing. You need microphones to actually speak, and I am not entirely sure that everyone who frequents the lounge has a microphone, and by only typing, it can generally include everyone who wants to take part. The format would be a variety show. Each member can say something that is followed by another, then back to the first member, much like a talk show or variety show. You can post a link to music, as if music is being played over the radio, and state who is playing, and what song.

Actually recording voices might be difficult and wouldn't include as many participants.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
happyfilmluvguy said:
(happyfilmluvguy sees a fire extinguishers, grabs it, holds the hand, and starts spraying away)[/I]
I did say you could imagine me smoking "if it helps." Now me, I don't think that helps. ;)
(Squirts fire extinguisher down happy's pants, runs like hell.)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
(Happyfilmluvguy looks down at pants as Fletch runs away)

"That's the third pair of pants I've had to wash today. Why is everyone suddenly drinking coffee?.....they need to ban coffee....or at least put it in steady cups.

Sorry about that folks. We stole the sketch from Warner Brothers...Now back to our programming. A little less talk for now, and as the saying goes....live and let live. Here's Dina Washington singing....'"no longer here 'Since I Fell For You', just as white foam fell in my....well, you know.

Enjoy"

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
(happyfilmluvguy sits back down in seat with cup of coffee)

"and we are back. It's been a few hours since, and I hope you all enjoyed the music. A little history lesson for our listeners. I've been a member of this here establishment for almost a year now, and you know what? It's been a real interesting journey. A few months ago, early last year, I had no idea this place even existed. I wore black dickies every day, a band t shirt, everyday, long hair, a backwards hat, never once thought about dressing up for a living.

Now, I'm wearing a tie, a white dress shirt, some pinstriped pants I've had since I was in 9th grade (thank you 31inch waist), and a lot more knowledge than one can aquire in a year. Why am I doing this? Why do I come in this place everyday, dress like this everyday, think like this everyday? To tell you the truth, I really have no clue. It's just the way things evolve. I'm still myself, though. Nothing can change that. My faults are still with me. But who'da thought that last year, I'd be doing this on a regular basis? I sure didn't. Maybe that's the beauty of it. The mystery.

I have 10 band t shirts and 7 black Dickies pants sitting in my closet, and they haven't seen wear in a while. Why don't I put them on? I really don't know. I still wear one pair occasionally. My point is this. If you're happy with the way you are, there really is no need for a change. Stocking up on books about Abraham Lincoln isn't going to make you a better person. You might grow a beard and have a fancy for stovepipe hats, but the man himself isn't in your blood. You're just stuck with those hundreds of books about just one man.

So tell me I wear a tie too often, ask me every day why I am wearing that suit, tell me I spend too much time on the internet (even though I don't), but you know what? I know the answer, but I'm not going to tell you. It's up to you to decide if this is the life I should lead. It's a challenge, and there's nothing better than to challenge yourself. There's always something new around the bend. It's not healthy for me to be stuck in the past, but it sure makes good conversation. That's why I joined this establishment. That's why.

A little less discussion, and a little more music. Here's Les Brown with... removed 'Sentimental Journey', vocals by Doris Day, and what sweet vocals they are."

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
"Wow, Doris Day. That lady has some solid pipes. Thanks for inviting me, happtfilmluvguy. This is The Wolf speaking. My wardrobe has been though "common casual" to what could politely called "eccentric". My love of pulps and movies of the 1930s lead me to slowly adding pleated pants, vest (or as some listeners would say: waistcoat) and then ties to my outfits. These clothes were feeling natural to me and then I needed a decent lid to wear. I've gone through a lot of fedoras since I started.
All this brought me deeper into the '30s and looking for more information. I found the "ethernet" afforded me a chance to find out about more about the age. That in essence lead me MK's Lounge. I've been a member for years and met many a swell person.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
"great seeing you here The Wolf. It's always a wonder why a person starts a new look. Just the other day in Universal Studios, I saw a man head to toe, MC Hammer style. Now that is a look I have never seen anywhere except on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. I was born in 1985, so I have no memory of that look. But wow, sparkling black suit, wide lapels, exaggerated shoulder pads, black shirt, gold chain, and to top it all off, the buzz cut you've seen so many wear in that trend. What a sight. His personality was what really made him. He'd say "It's Hammer Time!" in a second. Interests do go a long way, even for guys who love the 1980s, and boy did he look the part.

A while back, I had a chance to meet sir The Wolf, but sadly he was informed a bit too late. Next time, Wolf, next time.

And while we are patiently awaiting the next guest, here's a little favorite of mine, and no it's not from the 80s. It's from 1988. Call it the early early 1990s. lol

Here's Bobby McFerrin telling us to removed "Don't Worry, Be Happy"

Oh, and by the way, I saw "Reign over Me" tonight. Brilliant film, go see. Enough said."

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
(happyfilmluvguy sits back in chair with bowl of Moose Track ice cream)

"You know, every time I listen to that song, it always makes me laugh. It's a fun song. Who said new music was dull? Not new swing music, but regular rock, pop, country, and yes, even rap. There's some great lyrics in rap songs. You just need to hear the right one. But back to some discussion. I wouldn't normally say this, but it seems as if the Radio section isn't as popular as the rest of em'. Why's that? There is some great radio discussion to beheld, and Miss Lizzie has the honor of being the moderator of this here section. Now that's something special.

There's only a few bartenders and moderators here to service us. If they weren't here, we might be saying some things we should keep to ourselves. No offense to anyone. It's the truth, at least I'd think so. To the bartenders....(raises glass), Cheers! May you all live long happy lives, and tend to bars all over the world. You meet some funny people in bars when you're the bartender. I wish they'd just hurry up with that watermelon cocktail of mine.

This may sound a bit predicable, but I'd like to play a little song in honor of the bartenders of this here establishment, and Mr. Key. As Mitch Miller would say, "All Smiles!". "Show me the way to go home", bartenders. Show me the way.

And if anyone would like to join me, pull up a microphone. It's getting a bit lonely. :)"

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
happyfilmluvguy said:
There's only a few bartenders and moderators here to service us. If they weren't here, we might be saying some things we should keep to ourselves.

Amen to that, 'Guy, as I said before in my first week or so at the lounge I think it was. And what better spot for a remote broadcast.

happyfilmluvguy said:
This may sound a bit predicable, but I'd like to play a little song in honor of the bartenders of this here establishment, and Mr. Key.

And in honor of the bartenders, I'd like to refrain from playing Little Richard's "Dizzy Miss Lizzie". :p

You know friends, something we all have, but we rarely talk about: Guilty Pleasures. The kinds of things you don't like to admit you have, certainly for any reason other than to make fun of them, but you really do enjoy them.

In terms of music: For the opera buff, it may be that Beverly Sills album; for the hardcore rap enthusiast, it may be that Sir Mix-A-Lot album; for the indie rocker, it's that SKA music CD in their collection (present company excluded, of course; I like too many different kinds of music to be embarassed about the SKA or anything in my collection. Except for...)

Here's one of mine (MP3):

temp_songfile_14317.jpg
lab_0001_0002_0_img0095.jpg

Just, Too, Adorable, isn't she.

Well friends, what's one of your guilty pleasures?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner