Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anello by Borsalino?

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
So, in response to my questions in this thread, I've been looking online for a good felt hat, where they are often significantly less expensive than buying the equivalent model at a brick-and-mortar place inside Japan.

Over on Bencraft Hats, I've become particularly interested in a model called the Anello. I like the look of the hat (which, I admit, I am basing on a single picture at relatively low resolution), and bears at least some resemblance to another Borsalino model (which I am not well-versed enough to identify by sight, but was priced at over ¥50,000) which I tried on at Daimaru in Shinsaibashi. It's also not that far off from the hat I had been thinking of getting from a custom hatter nearby. And, you know, the price.

The only problem is, I haven't found a terribly large amount of information about the hat on the internet. There's one post in the "Borsalino Brotherhood" thread that has an actual picture, though it doesn't give me a terribly clear idea of the overall look (but it's nice to hear that the felt is soft).

So... what are the details of this hat, anyway? Is there anything I should worry about, considering its being priced below all the other Borsalino models? What about sizing compared to other brands/models? (I'm usually a 7 1/4 US, but I did notice that the Borsalino I tried on felt a little big.) In short: is this thing for real?

(EDIT: Re-posted in the main Hats forum as per the suggestion of Daizawaguy. BTW, how many posts before one is allowed to PM?)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I thought that it says in the FAQ the number of posts required. But now I don't see it there. Anyway, it can't be too many. Just keeping posting. You should be able to send PMs soon. Meanwhile, make sure you set up your account to use the PM feature.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
zetwal said:
I thought that it says in the FAQ the number of posts required. But now I don't see it there. Anyway, it can't be too many. Just keeping posting. You should be able to send PMs soon. Meanwhile, make sure you set up your account to use the PM feature.
Thanks for the advice.

So... about the hat, then...

carldelo

One Too Many
Bencraft is a Lounge sponsor - I would suggest emailing them directly, or giving them a phone call - they should be able to steer you properly in terms of sizing and answer other questions you might have. I believe you need 15 posts to use the PM feature. When you get there, you should be able to search for 'Besdor', a lounge member who is at Bencraft and PM him directly. The Anello is a nice-looking lid, I hadn't noticed it before.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I recently purchased a Claudio Borso from Bencraft as a business hat (see the photo comparing it to a Akubra Whippet in a thread I started). In Japan a similar hat sells for double, due to the Italian brand premium amongst other things (distributor arrangements, high rent, marketing)... Postage was $37 and it was here in 6 biz days. The Anello is obviously older stock, and hence a lower price - frankly a much better hat than the Checz felted Bunjirow. I saw the latter at Override retailer here...for $300 or so a very sloppily made hat in the world of real fedoras, but I guess spot on for the Japanese fashion market. The only thing is be warned, the modern Borsos, or at least the Anello, is very tapered, and not along the lines of the classic hats you see here. I`ve had mixed results mailing the retailer (after all must get 100`s of mails from guys like us..."is the brim 2 inches or 2 1/16 inch!?", but boy do those guys react to an order...the finest US mail order hatter and the sharpest prices for Borsos in the world. For $185 you cannot go wrong. It`s not going to be your last hat anyway...:p

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Wow. I'll definitely look further into that, then.

While we're on the subject of figuring out a proper hat, in terms of what I've read about matching hats to body type and facial structure, I probably ought to get something with a decent taper to the crown and a brim that's not too wide. I'm a little over 5' 9", relatively slim (~155-160 lbs.), with a largish nose and prominent cheekbones/chin. (Oh, and fairly big ears too.) In my experience, fairly stingy brims (~2") pose no problem for me, while more Golden Age-y widths risk dwarfing my head. High crowns can look a bit goofy on me as well, hence me leaning towards a tapered model. The Claudio and San Remo are also on my radar.

D'you suppose I should send them pictures, as well?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Judging from your avartar, those two are spot on...and the Dollar is at 98 Yen...pull the trigger, they`ll be here by the middle of next week! ;)

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Another one you may want to consider is the Classic fedora by Tesi on the same site...$100...Yen 9200 for a pure felt made in Italy by a company that supplies the summer hats to Borsalino...hows that for a bargain entry!?;)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I owned an anello and didn't like it. I bought it for the price but the hat was too floppy and didn't keep it's shape. I ended up getting rid of it. [huh]

carldelo

One Too Many
Bencraft also sells the Stetson Ashland, a tear drop crown with a 2-1/4" underwelt brim. I have it in dark brown and caribou and it's a nice hat, Royal quality felt. I find the welted brim is nice to maintain the shape of the brim (I also find it makes the hat easier to hold in your fingertips without dropping). Anyway, they won't go all droopy as it sounds like the Anello will. My brown Ashland has seen a lot of use and has softened up nicely. But you have to like the 4" tall Stetson standard teardrop, with its moderate taper, which I do although many do not. For a smaller brim, there's the Stetson Saxon which has a 2" underwelt brim and a centerdent crown.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Aureliano, it is an easy job to restiffen a Borsalino hat. Just bring it by and we can press it out. There is no charge for this service when the hat is bought from us. It is true that the Borsalino hats do soffen up more than other hats but they last much longer than the average felt hat.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Lots of really helpful info here. さすがはこの掲示板やな。

I quite like the look of the Stetson Ashland... I may have to make that my second hat, in the light grey.

As for my first hat, I'm now leaning towards either the Claudio or the San Remo. Both are 2" brims, which I know many consider stingy but don't look bad on me. For either one, I'd probably want to go with a dark/steel grey (what's the difference between those two, anyhow?). Overall, I'd say that right now, I prefer the San Remo because of the wide ribbon and the brim edge.

However, I do have a couple of questions.

First: On the one hand, I've got people telling me that Borsalinos are sized larger than most other makers. I can tentatively confirm this firsthand, as the 7 1/4 slid down to my ears while the 7 1/8 sat above them... though I must caution that I had also just gotten a haircut at the time. On the other hand, there's Mr. Warren cautioning me that Borsalinos shrink over time. Er, how much are we talking about, here? Should I just buy the size I usually take and let it adjust on its own?

Second: Judging by pictures of vintage San Remos on these very forums, I've noticed that the brim has what appears to be a variant of the Cavanagh treatment. (Bencraft also describes it as "felted", though the picture makes it look more like a traditional welt.) The hat bands on the older ones also seem quite a bit wider than the picture at Bencraft would suggest, but maybe that's just the angle of the shot. Either way, I like these details, but I would like a second opinion as to whether I've judged them correctly.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Firstly, on the size, they seem to run tighter than expected, contrary to your observation. A 60cm at a department store in Japan was large, and the 60cm I got from bencraft is just right with a room to shrink. What I will admit as well at this point is that the Caludio is a little below the standard of Borsos I have seen in Japan, and may explain the half price. I mean, a large company such as Borso will know their market segments and price flexibility well sorted out, and price and send different ranges with different qualities to different markets I would imagine. After all, if this was not the case, why would they sell for such a difference? (Getting myslef into a hornets nest here...but anyway....!)

Secondly, the old and new borsos are miles apart...dont expect a new one to look like the old ones. Seems like you should visit RMR hats for new old stock Borsalinos in the great old quality...quite a few stingies there...

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
So, I was leaning towards pulling the trigger on the Borsalino San Remo, and then I saw this deal. Including priority shipping to Japan, the total comes to $120.50. I think... I think I'm gonna take the plunge.

I guess I'll just have to ask my girlfriend for the other one for Christmas. (As it so happens, I'm planning on taking a much different kind of plunge this Christmas, so a nice hat in return would be the least thing she could do to ease the blow to my wallet... shhhhhhhh)

Any last thoughts on this before I take out the credit card and make it official?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
boushi_mania said:
Any last thoughts on this before I take out the credit card and make it official?
So, you'd like some additional advice to ignore. ;)

carldelo

One Too Many
boushi_mania said:
So, I was leaning towards pulling the trigger on the Borsalino San Remo, and then I saw this deal. Including priority shipping to Japan, the total comes to $120.50. I think... I think I'm gonna take the plunge.

I guess I'll just have to ask my girlfriend for the other one for Christmas. (As it so happens, I'm planning on taking a much different kind of plunge this Christmas, so a nice hat in return would be the least thing she could do to ease the blow to my wallet... shhhhhhhh)

Well, I bought my Caribou Ashland from them first, received a poor quality hat, and had some trouble about the return. In the end, they did refund my money and shipping; I had to pay shipping for the return. There was no chance for an exchange (which we both would have preferred) because it was the last one in my size, and I wound up buying the same hat from Bencraft in person in Brooklyn.

Anyway, maybe if you ask them, they will physically inspect the hat before shipping it to Japan, as a return would be so expensive - it's worth a try. Here is the thread I posted about the situation, with some photos of the hat. I'm not nearly as angry about it now as I was when it happened, and would probably order from Hats Plus again if they had a deal on lid I wanted and would look it over before shipping:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=37275

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Taking the plunge!? Well, women and hats are pretty much the same! Get it right the first time...no cutting corners, don`t buy anything on bargain (hats I mean, you will regret it:rolleyes: )...seems like a custom made hat is the only way to get it right first time...and follow your instincts on the lady, Sir. Congratulations :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Seriously though, following your thoughts on the hat selection process, falling for something on discount is likely to dissapoint, after all, why is it being discounted...!?

carldelo

One Too Many
daizawaguy said:

Seriously though, following your thoughts on the hat selection process, falling for something on discount is likely to dissapoint, after all, why is it being discounted...!?

Actually it was nothing sinister - they are discontinuing the model and selling off their stock - I received what should have been caught as a factory second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24