Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another beat up old flying jacket... (early G-1 this time)

glass susie

New in Town
I wear my late '60s' Brill Bros G-1 a fair bit, had it over 10 years, replaced the knits but thats all. A good solid jacket, but the leather just lacks character...
badcamberg201.jpg

So when I spotted an early one on ebay I thought I'd take a chance on it... It looked worn, but I didn't mind doing a bit of work, plus it suited my budget.
Unfortunately when it turned up I was disappointed, the leather was in much worse condition that I expected, especially the top of the sleeves, and to a lesser extent the shoulders/back. It was very thin where the outer layer of leather had worn away, and a few nicks and holes. (The damage to the bottom of the sleeve was in the description though)

So anyway I was contemplating asking the seller if he'd let me return it. Phil the photographer was in a work and I asked him to take a couple of snapshots outside for my reference before I packed it back up...

MikesCoat_8a.jpg

MikesCoat_6a.jpg

MikesCoat_1a.jpg

MikesCoat_4a.jpg

Big mistake :eusa_doh: Phil doesn't do snapshots...:rolleyes:
So now I'm looking at these and thinking "that's a pretty cool looking jacket..." Doh!
I wanted a cheap beat up G1 with a bit of charater, and this does tick all those boxes. I'm still not decided if I should send it back or not, but I'm probably going to keep it...

Anyway, anyone know anything about A. Pritzker & Sons? And any help dating? I've not found much info out on the web, but I'm assuming this jacket is an early G-1, early '50's??

pritzker002.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So who posted the thread, Mike!!!

The G-1 55J14 series of jackets date from 1947 to 1951. Pritzker G1s were well made jackets, using thinish goatskin. Good luck with the restoration. BTW what did you pay for the G1?

Mike1973

A-List Customer
aswatland said:
So who posted the thread, Mike!!!

I think the pictures gave it away...:whistling

aswatland said:
The G-1 55J14 series of jackets date from 1947 to 1951. Pritzker G1s were well made jackets, using thinish goatskin. Good luck with the restoration. BTW what did you pay for the G1?

But this is a 'MIL-J-7823 (AER)'.... isn't that after the 55J14? I did a quick search on VLJ but couldn't find much on G-1's. Only that the letter after the 7823 helps date it. My 68 Brill Bros is a 'D'.
Is the (AER) on this Pritzker just short for Bureau of Aeronautics? So would that pre-date the letter dating? So probably early '50's then?

Also I have no idea what the G3 means on the back... any ideas?

As for restoration, I think the liner needs to come out, (partially at least) and the replacement knits, which are in good condition, should be sewn back in properly. Same goes for the zipper. It's a replacement that hasn't been put back in right, too much is visible when done up. It's a pain, because it's stitched in 5mm closer to the edge now. If I've got to put that much effort in, with a liner that's already ripped around the collar, I might just make a new liner up. (Got my eye on some dark red satin...) It's all good practice I guess... :D

Cost? Start price was £30... I didn't think it was worth much more than that! I guessed the previous bidder had bid £35 so I bid £36... and I knew the chances of it being a pup were probably high. You never know though... If I'd seen it first I wouldn't have bothered, but it's growing on me.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry Mike, Yes this contract dates from 1951-60 and was probably the last contract that A. Pritzker & Sons had with the US Navy for G-1 jackets. The contract is rare.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
So a rare beat up old flying jacket... That makes me feel a little bit better lol

One big difference I've noticed between the Pitzker and Brill is the collar size. The Brill is larger and rounded, the Pritzker much smaller with pointed ends...

Is there a G1 thread out there like the Irvin goldmine of information? Would be handy... especially for such a long running jacket....

Edward

Bartender
glass susie said:
I wear my late '60s' Brill Bros G-1 a fair bit, had it over 10 years, replaced the knits but thats all. A good solid jacket, but the leather just lacks character...
badcamberg201.jpg

I think that's a great looking jacket. Works well with the overall look - very old school rockabilly. :)

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Some comparison photos...

Took some photos this morning with some good natural light, to show some of the style differences between the Pritzker and my later Brill Bros G-1.

The collars... The Pritzker has a very different shape, much more angular and pointed. I thought it may have been cut down, but there's no evidence of altering it.

pritzker-Brillcomparrisons023.jpg

Throat flaps
pritzker-Brillcomparrisons021.jpg

Pritzker & Sons
pritzker-Brillcomparrisons010.jpg

Brill Bros
pritzker-Brillcomparrisons009.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran