Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another hat shop in San Francisco

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Art told me about another hatter in San Francisco that did excellent work. My wife and I visited the Golden Gate park and he was pretty close so I dropped in. A VERY intertesting experience to say the least. I just wanted to say that he told me his fedora's were all beaver and while I do not lay any claim to being any sort of expert at all, I can say I've felt the felt of many fedora's. Now to be sure his fedora's were very nice indeed. However when I turned one over and looked at the price tag I was just a little surprised to see it say $1500. That's right, fifteen hundred dollars. It was very nice BUT it was raw edged and had a top stitched bow.

I just wanted to mention this because here on the forum we have been able to find excellent hatters who do wonderful work for a whole lot less. Optimo, Art Fawcett and Panama Bob are the best thing we have found in our quest for great hats.

Fedora will also supplying the Indy crowd with their dream hat at an excellent price that can't be beat as well.

regards fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Pauls hat shop was interesting, the hats were nice but to my eye not worth $1500. As you have already surmised by other people's posts that know him, he is a bit odd. Probably the most negative person I've met in quite a while. I made the mistake of mentioning that I had some custom hats made by Graham thompson. Unknown to me at the time, he and Graham apprenticed together, if I remember Art's explanation clearly. And he has nothing but comtempt for Graham. In less than 5 minutes he told me more negative things about him than I really cared to know. But to my eye, Optimo's hats were better made than his. The stitching, the edge binding, the bow stitching, all looked inferior to Optimo's. I could really care less about his personal relationships with others, I just wanted to see some other hatters work and exchange some thoughts. Well, that didn't happen. I looked at his hats, listened to all negatives for about 5 minutes and then just walked out. Too bad, it could have been a nice experience.

fedoralover

Gee, I am sorry you had to experience that. You find all types in all lines of business I suppose. I have never seen a $1,500 hat that looked like a $1,500 hat though. I wonder how many thousand he sells. :rolleyes:
Makes you appreciate the couple fellas we have here more. ;)

Regards to all,

J

gcollins

One of the Regulars
I've heard about Michael Harris as well, and it is a pity that he disparages other hat makers. Anyone who does that misses the point of supporting a dying craft. There's no point if you're good.

But for the spleef? No worries. Perhaps for $1500 you get a nice custom hat, a pound of Oregon purple bud and a Graphics bong to boot! May not be a bad deal. LOL

Wild Root

Gone Home
No wonder his hats are so high! Funny, you walk in and see the price tag and think to your self man, $1,500? Is this guy on something? Then you notice a unique aroma coming from with in the store, and then every thing makes sense. LOL

Well, that’s too bad about him bashing other hat makers! That right there is bad business.
The only hat I could ever see being worth $1,500 would be of historical significance like, James Cagney’s hat from Public Enemy #1 or Bogart’s fedora from Maltese Falcon.

Yeah, the guy sounds like a real winner. He needs to charge that much to supply his habits. LOL

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'd like to stop in if not just to see these super expensive hats.

Walk in look at the price.
"Wow, you must have the goods"
pick up a hat, check it out (if it's not very good), look at him, look at the hat, look at him.
"Dude... if your supplier charges you half this he's ripping you off"
shake my head and investigate what makes his hats so expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda