Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another New Hwyman...with Questions...

bobjones

A-List Customer
I just got my new Highwayman today - Aero must be really cranking them out, given how many other forum members have received theirs in the last few days, but I do have a few items I need help on.

The fit

The fit is very good, and is, to my eye, how the Hwyman should fit, right below the belt, snug all around. For the jacket to fit I need to have the tabs on the sides opened 95% of the way, as I need almost all of the side panel space, especially over a sweater. Over just a shirt, I still need most of the space, but it is still tight enough not to bother adjusting the tabs.

My concern is that if I put on even a little bit of weight, the jacket might no longer fit. The jacket is a 42, while my Stockman is a 44.

For other Hwyman owners, is this correct, where there is very little or no slack in the tabs, or should the jacket be larger to accomodate the various types of clothing underneath?

Storm Cuffs
Like Southernwayfare in the Cheyenne "Defects" thread, mine came with Storm cuffs - and I specifically ordered them without them. I must say, they are even more annoying than I thought they might be!

Anyway, is there a simple way for a local tailor to remove them - or am I stuck with either living with them forever, or shipping the jacket back to Aero?

FYI, they did make a few other tiny errors in manufacturing, but otherwise, the jacket is, as expected, gorgeous...

Doublegun

Practically Family
Humm. I ordered my LHB on May 4th and received my shipment notice this morning so it should be here early next week. I too ask them to leave off the storm-cuffs, so I'll let you know.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
bobjones said:
For other Hwyman owners, is this correct, where there is very little or no slack in the tabs, or should the jacket be larger to accomodate the various types of clothing underneath?

Hey bobjones!

My Highwayman is exactly the opposite of yours in this respect. :eek: My jacket came with the side tabs taken all the way in, and it fits very well in that configuration. To be clear, I specified a jacket with a large drop (10") and also I specified that I did not want a boxy fit.

My guess is that Aero anticipated that I might put on a few inches on my waist over time (and they're probably right! lol ) so they cut my jacket to fit my current measurements with the side tabs taken all the way in. To be clear, this is with only a shirt underneath; I don't really wear sweaters so I don't have one handy to see if I need to loosen the tabs if I were wearing a thick garment underneath. I wonder what others are seeing in their jackets?

I hear ya on the storm cuffs issue, I ordered my Veste de Rallye (yesterday) without storm cuffs so I hope they take note!

bobjones

A-List Customer
Ace Rimmer said:
Hey bobjones!

My Highwayman is exactly the opposite of yours in this respect. :eek: My jacket came with the side tabs taken all the way in, and it fits very well in that configuration. To be clear, I specified a jacket with a large drop (10") and also I specified that I did not want a boxy fit.

My guess is that Aero anticipated that I might put on a few inches on my waist over time (and they're probably right! lol ) so they cut my jacket to fit my current measurements with the side tabs taken all the way in. To be clear, this is with only a shirt underneath; I don't really wear sweaters so I don't have one handy to see if I need to loosen the tabs if I were wearing a thick garment underneath. I wonder what others are seeing in their jackets?

I hear ya on the storm cuffs issue, I ordered my Veste de Rallye (yesterday) without storm cuffs so I hope they take note!

Mine came with them taken all the way in, but could not get the jacket on until I took them almost all of the way out.

That's my concern, that it fits great now, but I have no excess space, the jacket is maxxed out size-wise. If I put on 10 lbs, I probably won't be able to zip up the jacket.

As for the storm cuffs, I do not know how they are attached, so I am leery of just walking in to some local tailor and asking them to take them out. My wife analyzed them and believes they are sewn into the sleeves, which would mean the inside cotton drill sleeves are in two parts, and would need to be sewn back together, as opposed to the cuffs just being sewn on top of the sleeve :eek:

If she is correct, it would be too expensive and complex a job for a tailor, so I would have to send the jacket back to Aero ...[huh] - I don't see any value in having them, as they make the jacket much less comfortable.

I will be talking to Will first thing in the am...

JLStorm

Practically Family
If you want your jacket to fit you if you gain some weight, you really need to tell Aero that, especially with those tight fitting jackets. I think that is one of the biggest mistakes people make when ordering these jackets and Im willing to bet a reason they get given away to family or sold. Next time just ask Aero to leave some extra room in case you put on a few pounds..that way the jacket and arms dont get any longer, but you get some room to "grow".

As far as the storm cuff issue. Send it back to Aero, they will pick up shipping both ways most probably and if the size issue bothers you that much, ask them to remake that section of the jacket. It will probably cost you about 50 - 100 GBP, but it might be worth it.

I had ordered a B3 and the sleeves came too long. I also wanted horsehide overlays on the entire jacket, but Aero talked me out of it so I only went for parts of the jacket. I talked to them...I shipped the jacket back to them and in exchange they are shipping the B3 back to me with my new jacket when ready and they are picking up the shipping charges. As far as the horsehide, they are taking the entire jacket a part overlaying all of it and putting it back together. The labor isnt cheap, but not as expensive as one might think.

Hope that helps.

bobjones

A-List Customer
JLStorm said:
If you want your jacket to fit you if you gain some weight, you really need to tell Aero that, especially with those tight fitting jackets. I think that is one of the biggest mistakes people make when ordering these jackets and Im willing to bet a reason they get given away to family or sold. Next time just ask Aero to leave some extra room in case you put on a few pounds..that way the jacket and arms dont get any longer, but you get some room to "grow".

As far as the storm cuff issue. Send it back to Aero, they will pick up shipping both ways most probably and if the size issue bothers you that much, ask them to remake that section of the jacket. It will probably cost you about 50 - 100 GBP, but it might be worth it.

I had ordered a B3 and the sleeves came too long. I also wanted horsehide overlays on the entire jacket, but Aero talked me out of it so I only went for parts of the jacket. I talked to them...I shipped the jacket back to them and in exchange they are shipping the B3 back to me with my new jacket when ready and they are picking up the shipping charges. As far as the horsehide, they are taking the entire jacket a part overlaying all of it and putting it back together. The labor isnt cheap, but not as expensive as one might think.

Hope that helps.

Thanks JL. My wife joked that this is an incentive for me to keep the weight off, maybe so. I just am not sure if there are many people who weigh and are built at 51 the way they were at 41.

I did request in writing not to include the cuffs, so it isn't my fault, but I was hoping to have to avoid shipping it back. I just hope Will says the cuffs are easy to remove, and then I could deal with it locally.

JLStorm

Practically Family
bobjones said:
Thanks JL. My wife joked that this is an incentive for me to keep the weight off, maybe so. I just am not sure if there are many people who weigh and are built at 51 the way they were at 41.

I did request in writing not to include the cuffs, so it isn't my fault, but I was hoping to have to avoid shipping it back. I just hope Will says the cuffs are easy to remove, and then I could deal with it locally.

I doubt Aero would suggest having any work done on their jackets by anyone else, but maybe you will get lucky. Even if you are the same weight at 51 as you are at 41, Im betting there will be a year or two in between when you are not. But hey, by then you may want a different jacket, who knows. All I know, is I plan my jackets around the chance that I will gain weight. On the flip side, they tend to look a little big...but I dont buy jackets that are fitted styles either.

bobjones

A-List Customer
JLStorm said:
I doubt Aero would suggest having any work done on their jackets by anyone else, but maybe you will get lucky. Even if you are the same weight at 51 as you are at 41, Im betting there will be a year or two in between when you are not. But hey, by then you may want a different jacket, who knows. All I know, is I plan my jackets around the chance that I will gain weight. On the flip side, they tend to look a little big...but I dont buy jackets that are fitted styles either.

Well, I was hoping removing the cuffs would be a simple job, but if it isn't there is no way I would bring it to some local tailor to screw around with. Either its a basic "cut the thread and the cuffs come out" or it will require Galashiels surgery.

As for "growing outward" as I age, that's what my Stockman is for - that's got plenty of room for it, I just figured that the Hwyman would be my last, fitted jacket before I got too old to wear one and not look silly with a big bulging tire so many "elders" get in their 50s...and have to wear a long car-type coat to hide it.

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
I agree about the storm cuffs being very annoying. I didn't order them in my Cheyenne and they were not supposed to be there. It's a little disappointing that Aero seems to be making these mistakes. My impression from Amanda is that removing the cuffs is fairly straight forward but requires turning the coat inside out.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Geez guys, I like the storm cuffs.
I assume I'll like them even more during winter time when the wind is blowing snow up my sleeves.
You all should give them a chance. I'm sure they'll loosen up somewhat with wear.
Plus, I wager you'll find them useful in winter weather, unless you never see winter weather in your part of the world!
But I agree it's interesting and a little annoying that Aero is making these silly mistakes.
Take a look at my post a little further down on my new Highwayman.
I list all the little "Oops's" that they made on my jacket.
Nothing that I'd return it for, but for the price they charge, the jackets should be pretty darn close to perfect!
Lenny

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
I appreciate that Aero is basically an artisan operation but I think they could use a little better website. Maybe its cost prohibitive but it sure would be nice. I wish I could do it for them. As an example, check out Wesco boots. They have a great "Custom Boot Builder" website that goes through every option with you in detail.

Maybe there are just too many options and too many different coats to do anything but deal one-on-one with every customer and I do appreciate the personal (by email) interaction. However, a little more clarity about options that are available would be nice - lining options and pocket options. I wouldn't have known most of this except for all the experts here at FL. Better photos and more photos would also be nice.

All that being said, Aero is great. I've got a Cheyenne on the way and I'm sure I'll buy another once I save up. I always recommend them to anyone who I can.

bobjones

A-List Customer
OneEyeMan said:
Geez guys, I like the storm cuffs.
I assume I'll like them even more during winter time when the wind is blowing snow up my sleeves.
You all should give them a chance. I'm sure they'll loosen up somewhat with wear.
Plus, I wager you'll find them useful in winter weather, unless you never see winter weather in your part of the world!
But I agree it's interesting and a little annoying that Aero is making these silly mistakes.
Take a look at my post a little further down on my new Highwayman.
I list all the little "Oops's" that they made on my jacket.
Nothing that I'd return it for, but for the price they charge, the jackets should be pretty darn close to perfect!
Lenny

Update....

Spoke with Will, and am sending the jacket back. It was gorgeous, if only there was a way to increase the chest and waist size just an inch, and remove the storm cuffs easily...[huh]

Anyway, storm cuffs are not comfortable, they crease your shirt sleeves, prevent the jacket sleeves from properly sliding up or down as you move, and are VERY warm. I cannot recommend them to anyone...

bbc1969

Familiar Face
JLStorm said:
If you want your jacket to fit you if you gain some weight, you really need to tell Aero that, especially with those tight fitting jackets. I think that is one of the biggest mistakes people make when ordering these jackets and Im willing to bet a reason they get given away to family or sold. .

This is good point... I am a big guy.. including broad shoulders.. I have 48 suit coats that fit but are a little binding sometimes, so I am usually put in a 50.

Based on my measurements, they wanted to put me in a 48R, but knowing my build I insisted on the 50.....plus I have a bit of a belly to deal with too as I am not the flat ab man.

I hope thinking along these lines does the trick..........

Should only be a couple more weeks............(hoping hoping hoping)

JLStorm

Practically Family
bbc1969 said:
This is good point... I am a big guy.. including broad shoulders.. I have 48 suit coats that fit but are a little binding sometimes, so I am usually put in a 50.

Based on my measurements, they wanted to put me in a 48R, but knowing my build I insisted on the 50.....plus I have a bit of a belly to deal with too as I am not the flat ab man.

I hope thinking along these lines does the trick..........

Should only be a couple more weeks............(hoping hoping hoping)

You should be fine. When I ordered my first aero (a B3 / ANJ4 combination) I gave them two sets of measurements (by request) one in a tshirt and one in the thickest and heaviest sweater I owned (added 2.5" to my chest and almost 4" to my waist). I also told them that I want the jacket to still fit if I gain a few inches in the waist or chest. Aero really nailed the fit (other than the sleeves being a few inches long which they are correcting now). I ordered my second Aero the same way as the first (same measurements actually).

This is probably less of an issue with the boxier cut coats, but its still important to mention IMO.

BobJones, are you having Aero add some material to the jacket so it will fit better if you gain some weight or just having the storm cuffs removed?

Lear

One of the Regulars
Bobjones, I can't really comment on this type of jacket. I don't consider it a style that I could get away with.

But... Aero jackets are sumptuous works of art. So, why not turn turn yourself into the greatest piece of living art that you can possibly be. Everyone knows what has to be done, and everyone has a mental picture of what's realistically achievable, even if it means just shedding a few pounds.

You owe this to your Hwyman. :D

Shame about the storm cuffs though. I hope you get it back into your possession, before winter is out.

bobjones

A-List Customer
JLStorm said:
BobJones, are you having Aero add some material to the jacket so it will fit better if you gain some weight or just having the storm cuffs removed?

I would never consider it the responsibility of the manufacturer to make a jacket to fit me should I gain weight in the future; it's hard enough to get a good, accurate "correct" fit now when you know your measurements, let alone what they might be down the road. If I put on 10 lbs, a jacket that fits well now might be a bit snug, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't fit well today.

The issue with the jacket is that I had to pull out the tabs all the way to just to be able to zip the jacket up, even wearing a t-shirt, so with a heavy sweater zipping the jacket wasn't a realistic option.

Will said the jacket should have some reserve material in the side panels during normal wear. I'm guessing that the extra material there is to be used when wearing the jacket over a heavy sweater, but would/should not be needed for a t-shirt/button down.

My concern is that I really only need an inch of more room, so I hope they don't make something too big; its too bad because over a t-shirt /shirt the jacket kicked a$$ in fit - but with no room to spare. I am in-between a 42 and a 44, and this is the challenge.

End result, they will make a new one, and without the storm cuffs. I guess I should have taken pictures; it was a fit very close just like Hoosier Daddy's, but a bit longer and covering my belt.

univibe88

One Too Many
Doublegun said:
Humm. I ordered my LHB on May 4th and received my shipment notice this morning so it should be here early next week. I too ask them to leave off the storm-cuffs, so I'll let you know.

That is a very quick turnaround these days! You are lucky.

bobjones

A-List Customer
Lear said:
Bobjones, I can't really comment on this type of jacket. I don't consider it a style that I could get away with.

But... Aero jackets are sumptuous works of art. So, why not turn turn yourself into the greatest piece of living art that you can possibly be. Everyone knows what has to be done, and everyone has a mental picture of what's realistically achievable, even if it means just shedding a few pounds.

You owe this to your Hwyman. :D

Shame about the storm cuffs though. I hope you get it back into your possession, before winter is out.

I will say this though, I love my Stockman, but the I REALLY took a greater liking to the Highwayman than I would have expected. I can see how it became so popular a style, even "solid bodies" ;) like mine look good in it, and it was a feather compared to the stockman. It is a much shorter jacket, but it is still FQHH, but it really didn't weight much, if anything more, than my goatskin Indy jacket. The lightness of the Hwyman was so surprising, I'm now thinking of selling the Indy.

To those considering the Hwyman, I'd say get it for sure, it is the most appealing leather jacket I have tried on, all Aero has to do is re-make mine...

Creeping Past

One Too Many
bobjones said:
I just got my new Highwayman today - Aero must be really cranking them out, given how many other forum members have received theirs in the last few days, but I do have a few items I need help on.

The fit

The fit is very good, and is, to my eye, how the Hwyman should fit, right below the belt, snug all around. For the jacket to fit I need to have the tabs on the sides opened 95% of the way, as I need almost all of the side panel space, especially over a sweater. Over just a shirt, I still need most of the space, but it is still tight enough not to bother adjusting the tabs.

My concern is that if I put on even a little bit of weight, the jacket might no longer fit. The jacket is a 42, while my Stockman is a 44.

Mine fits with the sides buckled tight, but I've lost about 7 pounds since I ordered it.

Storm Cuffs
Like Southernwayfare in the Cheyenne "Defects" thread, mine came with Storm cuffs - and I specifically ordered them without them. I must say, they are even more annoying than I thought they might be!

FYI, they did make a few other tiny errors in manufacturing, but otherwise, the jacket is, as expected, gorgeous...

You did the right thing sending the jacket back. If you ordered a jacket without storm cuffs and it arrived with storm cuffs, they sent you the wrong item. I hope all goes well the second time round.

Fiver64

Practically Family
storm cuffs suck

My 2 cents worth.......... I find storm cuffs annoying as well, and it seems that most folks that weigh in of FL seem to dislike them as well. Probably OK if you ride a lot, but I'm guessing that most of us wear our jackets on-the-town out of appreciation of fine leather and style rather than cutting brisk winds!

If I hadn't purchased mine used, I would have sent it back too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass