Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Drawback of Hat Resting on Head Band?

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
I don't have a hat rack or hat stand. So instead of having my hat rest flat on the brim, I simply turned the inner head band inside out and let the hat rest on head band. It preserves the snap in the brim and keeps the hat from flattening out, too. Any possible long term harm in doing that?

I would love to have one of the old fashioned hat display racks that are made of wood. I have seen pictures where they hold 20 - 24 hats, but I have yet to find one that I could purchase.

HatsEnough

Banned
My only thought is that a sweatband is not made to be constantly flipped in and out, so I would imagine that the stitching will break down much faster than if the sweat is left inside where it belongs. I would think the stress of constant flipping in and out would break down the threads much faster. But that is just my assumption.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I would think that it would do more damage to the leather than just putting the hat down on its brim would ever do to the felt.

scooter

Practically Family
Yeah, I have one or two vintage hats that flipping the sweat out caused it to crack. If I don't have a rack for my hat, I simply set it on the crown. Never seems to bother it unless the hat is soaking wet, then you might get a flat spot or two on contact points.

What these guys ^^^ said.

I've seen a couple of apparently (but not actually) good-as-new, pristine vintage hats whose sweatbands cracked when turned out. Turning the sweatband out is a part of the process in installing a new one, either in an all-new hat or as a replacement in a refurb, but I'd avoid doing it any more than you really need to, especially with those more elderly lids.

For Westerns because of the brim shapes, the recommendation is to lay them on the crown.
A fedora typically does not have as stiff of a crown but the brim is flanged differently.
Flip the brim up all around & set it down on the brim or if the front is snapped down, hang it of the edge of a shelf.
I've got some inexpensive stands, about $4.00 at local western shop, that keeps the brim off the surface.
cdsbprofile.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80