Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Marching Band Geeks Here?

panamag8or

Practically Family
My marching band was ranked best in Florida, and one of the best in the country. I thought I was pretty cool.... until I saw THIS.:eek:

Check out the videos this guy posted of other years, also.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Cool. I haven't clicked on the link (no broadband where I live). My high school marching band typically numbered about 20 people. I doubt we were considered for the best in the state (at least without the judges snickering), but we had fun, and I can say I carried a Bari Sax in marching band. I don't know why I'd want to say that, but I can.

It might be what you've linked to, but have you ever seen one of the DCI (Drum Corps International) competitions? Those bands are outstanding. To prove my utter geekiness, I think the champion DCI band should perform the Super Bowl halftime show each year. I would actually watch it, then.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Sertsa said:
Cool. I haven't clicked on the link (no broadband where I live). My high school marching band typically numbered about 20 people. I doubt we were considered for the best in the state (at least without the judges snickering), but we had fun, and I can say I carried a Bari Sax in marching band. I don't know why I'd want to say that, but I can.

It might be what you've linked to, but have you ever seen one of the DCI (Drum Corps International) competitions? Those bands are outstanding. To prove my utter geekiness, I think the champion DCI band should perform the Super Bowl halftime show each year. I would actually watch it, then.

I was accepted to a DCI corps in high school, but it was cost prohibitive, so I didn't do it.(They made top 12 that year, too.:mad: ) When you see the video, you will understand that this high school band could place top 12 at DCI Nationals with no problem. Just to tempt you to find a broadband connection, this Japanese band is performing their show indoors, with no yard lines.:eek:

panamag8or

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
I was....a went to a school where the band was small...but decent.

But we got things -thrown at us- during football games.

So I didnt continue playing into university.

Wow, that's rough. I played 2 years at the college level, it was fun.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have always had a dream of creating a 19th Century Marching Band,
MusicMan.jpg
complete with uniforms like those in 'The Music Man', that only plays Souza marches. Wouldn't that be great in a parade in your town!?

-dixon cannon

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
I played trombone in my high school band then went on to get a degree in music education and performance. I played professionally for a while and spend eight years in the army band. Now that I'm an officer in the Navy I don't play much anymore. I do miss it and am thinking of forming a Big Band when I retire or at least a community band.

My neighbor in the next stateroom is the ship's Doctor. She played flute in high school. Her school band was #1 in the state (I can't remember which state right now). I'm trying to get her into the lounge. She has read all my Classic Style mags that I have with me and loves them. She'll lounge when she's in my room and I'm on, but hasn't made the big step and joined. Maybe by the end of deployment.

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
Certified Band Dork

I was in marching band in high school. I started off playing the Clarinet and then moved on to being a drummer. Which by the way sort of makes me cool, especially being a girl and all lol. But yea I was a hard core band dork and I loved every minute of it. People always jokingly ask me if I have any " One time at band camp..." stories, and I really do! loll Our band really wasn't known anywhere but we were quite good especially the drum line *brushing off shoulder*

panamag8or

Practically Family
TheDutchess said:
I was in marching band in high school. I started off playing the Clarinet and then moved on to being a drummer. Which by the way sort of makes me cool, especially being a girl and all lol. But yea I was a hard core band dork and I loved every minute of it. People always jokingly ask me if I have any " One time at band camp..." stories, and I really do! loll Our band really wasn't known anywhere but we were quite good especially the drum line *brushing off shoulder*

Drum line... Excellent. When people ask me what I played, I tell them "Nothing... I was a drummer".lol
Here's me in my UF DL uniform, from 1984.

lee_FDL-84crop.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran