Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any one seen "The World At War?"

KL15

One of the Regulars
If you havent I highly recommend it. It's regarded by many as the definitive WWII documentary. It was produced by Channel 4 in 1973 as far as I can tell. If you've seen it, what do you think?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
That documentary is one of the strongest memories of childhood televison for me--it was ALWAYS on! I can still hear Olivier's voice narrating the battles. I should watch it as an adult, I've heard wonderful things about it.

Warden

One Too Many
Yep a classic, was watching an episode this morning as it happens.

To be picky it was made by Thames Television, in 1973, Channel 4 was not around then.

Harry

Micawber

A-List Customer
Yes I recall watching every episode when it was first aired. Well worth watching with much time given over to interviews with people who were actually there.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
As I recall, it was on here on Sunday nights. I watched every one. I was in high school at the time, and fascinated with WWII. Maybe this was the start of my interest in these years, or maybe it was just a symptom. Fantastic series, though.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I got the 30th Anniversary Edition last year for Christmas and in the special features Sir Jeremy Isaacs the producer is talking about how Olivier did the recording of his narration in a small wood lined booth. Remember how the series starts "When the soldiers came" Olivier came out of the booth put on his coat to leave and said "Well I think that does it" and Isaacs reminded him that his words were going to be the first thing that people heard in the World at War. Olivier pondered this then took his coat back off and said let's have another go. His opening narration was brilliant, it still to this day brings tears to my eyes and gives me chills.
Bob

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I own it on VHS...

...which means I haven't been able to watch it since I moved out of my roommates place 3 years ago! I watch my DVDs on my computer. I don't own a TV.

It's an excellent series, and since it was produced in 1973, it has an unapologetic presentation. It also features interviews with historic figures that have since passed on.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The series was made in 1973, so a lot more of the people who were in WWII, especially the older officers, were still alive to be interviewed, which of course can't happen any more. It's a very important document.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember watching it on TV as a kid. My parents always watched it. Now I'm older, I wonder what my Dad must have thought of it, what memories it conjured up for him, having fought in that war.

It is a thorough and brilliantly made series.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
memories

I remember watching that when i was a child.i was transfixed by it.it was on at the same time as other great little programmes were on,like: farming today ( i think it was called that ),jack hargreaves and out of town,models world and catweazle.but the world at war really stuck in my memory.laurence olivier was a magnificent choice to narrate it.my dad recently sent off for the full collection,free with a newspaper,but that was a couple of months ago.hopefully they will arrive soon.

Warden

One Too Many
Models world, excellent programme, I loved the lines like "and get the lady of the house to sow the skirt onto the hovercraft"

Harry

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Remember seeing it in the mid 80's and loved it. It was on late at night and with a rerun from the prior week and then a new episode. Want to say there where 20+ episodes?

On aseperate note there was another series hosted be Burt Lancaster and it focused on the war on the eastern front. That was the first time I saw just how terrible it truly was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters