Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else drink Lophraig?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
New year's Eve, 1968, I polished off about 2/3rds of a bottle of champagne, then started drinking Lophraig. OMG. What a hangover on New Years's Day. :eek:
But thank God it didn't put me off Scotch forever.
Lopgraig is truly . . . unusual . . . stuff. Ths flavor of Scotch comes from the qualities of the peat used to make it. I'd love to get a whiff of the peat in the district where Lophgaig is made.
Not for the faint of heart.

frijoli

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
New year's Eve, 1968, I polished off about 2/3rds of a bottle of champagne, then started drinking Lophraig. OMG. What a hangover on New Years's Day. :eek:

Not for the faint of heart.

Well no, not with Champagne!:p

univibe88

One Too Many
Then you need to look for it. It is exactly what it sounds like - the whisky is finished in cask that is 1/4 the size of a usual cask. This intensifies the effects of the wood. As Laphroaig is in ex-bourbon casks, this lends the whisky a suble vanilla sweetness.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
Chanfan said:
Laphroaig is my favorite scotch! My wife likens it to "dead bodies in a burnt peat bog". lol

I've got a botle open at the moment. It is my favourite scotch.

A friend of mine described it as sucking the sweat out of a peat cutter's boots.
So your wife is not alone in her distaste for this particular drop.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Laphroaig is without doubt my favorite drink, of any type. I haven't tried the quarter cask, but I plan to when I get the chance.

My wife can't stand it, and all but a couple of my friends can't stand it either, so it's usually the whole bottle to myself.

Flieger

Practically Family
I would not turn down a Laphroaig if offered but spending my own money I tend to go for two other Islay heavyweights: Caol Ila and Lagavulin.

Flieger

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
ADHD librarian said:
I've got a botle open at the moment. It is my favourite scotch.

A friend of mine described it as sucking the sweat out of a peat cutter's boots.
So your wife is not alone in her distaste for this particular drop.

I've so far only met one single malt I don't like and this is it. Kinda tastes like the runoff that's left after a house fire is extinguished (don't ask how I know).

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
staggerwing said:
I've so far only met one single malt I don't like and this is it. Kinda tastes like the runoff that's left after a house fire is extinguished (don't ask how I know).

Yes, it is a rather exciting drink.

Ardbeg is also nice if you like the Smoky- not so intense.
I've heard Ardbeg referred to as "Laphroaig Lite" but I think that's just mean,
Ardbeg is a good drop in its own right.

I'm also guilty of being a Laphroaig Liker.
Lagavulin too.

B
T

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
Yes, it is a rather exciting drink.

Ardbeg is also nice if you like the Smoky- not so intense.
I've heard Ardbeg referred to as "Laphroaig Lite" but I think that's just mean,
Ardbeg is a good drop in its own right.

I'm also guilty of being a Laphroaig Liker.
Lagavulin too.

B
T

Really? To me, Ardbeg seemed to be more "smoke" while the Laphroaig had more flavors in it. Weird.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Laphroaig has been my Scotch of choice since 1964. All other makes are naught but shadows by comparison. Woe unto them who disdain the dusky delights of Islay's finest and most noble example of the distillers' art; they shall be cast into the pit of pusillanimousness where dwell the drinkers of decaf late with skim milk.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Can't stand it. I like most single malts that I've tried but I have never tasted an Islay that made me want a second sip. I never felt I was enjoying it so much as enduring it.*yucky*

Copper

One of the Regulars
Warbaby said:
Laphroaig has been my Scotch of choice since 1964. All other makes are naught but shadows by comparison. Woe unto them who disdain the dusky delights of Islay's finest and most noble example of the distillers' art; they shall be cast into the pit of pusillanimousness where dwell the drinkers of decaf late with skim milk.

Beautifully said, Sir, beautifully said.

The finest stuff to leave Islay's shores will always find a welcome harbour in my liquor cabinet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav