Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else tired of winter?!

Novella

Practically Family
I'm a fan of winter. Especially California "winter". England winter's a tad too dark for my tastes.

Winter clothes are great. Tea and hot chocolate are tasty. I love blankets. Yup, give me winter!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Just when I thought it was starting to warm up...

What's with the weather and it teasing us Northwesteners? for awhile there it was, in the 60's, sun shining- giving us hope that the end was near and plans of gardening can soon come to fruition. Last night it started snowing, snowing!. OK, I'll admit, it's very pretty to see, but, I had my snow, I enjoyed it, it can leave now.
ok, done ranting :)

Mike K.

One Too Many
Well, for us Loungers in Florida winter takes on a slightly different meaning. Our cold fronts drop the temperatures from the 75-80 degree range down into the low 60s.:) No complaints on the weather! However, winter also means the annual migration of the Snow Buzzards. This species is typically found foraging around shopping malls and golf courses. Many full-time residents consider them a nuisance species because of their tendency to overcrowd roads and restaurants. But like all aspects of winter, regardless of where you live, it is only seasonal...summer is just around the corner! We'll probably have posts around August complaining about summer conditions.:)

Enjoy what you've been given in life!;)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep, Mysterygal, Mother Nature's been playing with us here in the NW, hasn't she? At least in the Seattle area, it's been a milder than normal winter - way more sunny & clear days than normal, not the usual gray and drizzly from Halloween to Memorial Day. The big windstorm on my birthday that had us without power for six days. And then we've had two big snows that have lasted several days. Like you, we got some snow yesterday afternoon and again last night. Yesterday we went from sunny to snow, back to sunny, and then at 2 or so, sleet and hail that deposited almost 2" in about 10 minutes which then turned to snow for about 5 minutes and everything melted in short order. Last night I got a call from the theatre at 10 saying they had about an inch of snow covering all the streets and sidewalks - but nothing here. I soaked in the tub a bit and looked out the window when I got out and there was a dusting sticking to the car but nowhere else. Who knows what today will bring!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Mike; I've heard some about Florida's weather! Mostly of the humidity, ugh! That just may be worse than the cold...having it so hot and humid that even though you get all sweaty, you can't shower it off cause the humidity just brings it back.
golf; oh believe me, around here golf is BIG! There's always the die-hards out there in the rain playing a game.
Mike; Yeah, yesterday was just plain weird! We had a bit of everything, even had a little hail storm! What's funny is my little rat terrier is STILL freaked out of the snow. She see's that stuff falling down and she starts whimpering and flat refuses to go outside!:rolleyes:

Mike in Seattle

Weather update - we here on the hill last night got a little light dusting of snow as I mentioned above. It was also coming down again a little bit ago, but it's just slightly above freezing, so it was immediately melting. It's sunny & clear now, and the car & sidewalk & street are dry already. Paul's running around like a madman making sure he has everything he'll need today & tonight before he heads out - voice students at college all day, then the spring opera opens tonight, so it's basically, he's out the door at 10 and home around 11. He sits down to check his email, reads the first one and whoops. "Look at this" - brings up the school website (this is 45 minutes northwest of us in Renton, maybe 20 miles as the crow flies) and campus is closed until at least 3:30 due to over a FOOT of snow on the ground. All daytime activities are shut down and they'll make a decision as to nighttime activities as the day progresses. And here we sit high and dry. The Seattle-Tacoma area is weird when it comes to weather - lots of little "micro-climes" and strange weather patterns. One area gets hammered with snow, 5 miles away there's nothing.

Mike in Seattle

mysterygal said:
Mike; I've heard some about Florida's weather! Mostly of the humidity, ugh! That just may be worse than the cold...having it so hot and humid that even though you get all sweaty, you can't shower it off cause the humidity just brings it back.
golf; oh believe me, around here golf is BIG! There's always the die-hards out there in the rain playing a game.
Mike; Yeah, yesterday was just plain weird! We had a bit of everything, even had a little hail storm! What's funny is my little rat terrier is STILL freaked out of the snow. She see's that stuff falling down and she starts whimpering and flat refuses to go outside!:rolleyes:

Heat with high humidity just drains the energy right out you.

And our neighbors across the street, whose backyard is directly across from my office, have a big black lab who doesn't understand snow and hail yet. I can sit here at my desk, hear it barking "woofing" away, see it running around and nipping at the flakes falling and running into their brand-new fence (it's a sloped yard, so sitting here the upper patio area is about 6' higher than the street level where the fence runs). When we first moved up and had the dogs, it was a riot watching them running all over the yard, barking & nipping at snowflakes...but after a day or two, or if they get into it when you let them out at night, it becomes very annoying quickly.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
oh yes, nothing like the pleasant lulling to sleep to the sound of a constant yapping dog!:p
I think the snow is done coming down just having torrential downpour of rain! Makes for a nice day to be inside and watch movies!

Daisy Buchanan

Yes, I agree, heat with high humidity does drain the life right out of you. I may complain about the cold Boston winters, but during July and August we have some scorchers, and the humidity can be murderous!!! But luckily I've got some pretty lightweight dresses, and the heat and humidity is short run. September comes and we get warm days with cool breezes. It can be in the high 70's, but the relative humidity is zero. It barely rains, always bright and sunny. This kind of weather lasts up into November sometimes, the sun is always shining, the skies are almost always clear and although it starts to get a bit cooler, the leaves start to change and it is a beautiful sight. Gee, can you tell autumn is my favorite season. For as much as I hate New England in the winter, there is nothing more beautiful than New England in the fall:)

Spring in Boston is lovely too, however it is much too short. Usually if we are lucky we have a good solid month to enjoy the warm weather with spring breezes. The public gardens will be in full bloom during this time of year, and they are magnificent. I just wish that it lasted a little longer. Here, it seems like although winter technically ends in March, it doesn't get consistently warm until June. Of course April and May have a number of very nice days, but they are in between days of dreary rain. But it's all worth it because one morning I'll look out my bedroom window and see the seas of green trees interspersed with the tall buildings of the city, and it's a lovely sight.

Can you tell I'm looking forward to the nicer weather!! Although today was actually pretty nice, it's sunny and warm for this time of year, in the 40's. But, I just heard that snow is expected tomorrow. Hopefully the ground will be too warm for it to stick. Pretty soon the 40 degree day's will outnumber the snowy ones, and spring will be on its way. Yippeeeeee!!!

LadyStardust

Practically Family
In regards to my/our own weather I'm reminded of "Grand Hotel" in that, well, quite literally, "Nothing ever happens here." Front page, msn, today "MOST OF COUNTRY experiencing severe weather!" I look outside, it's gray, cloudy, and -completely- boring. The weather is so ridiculous here, I often wish something would happen, nothing severe, of course, but for crying out loud, I expected at least one snowstorm this winter. NOTHING. And considering I hail from Russia, Minnesota, and Wisconsin respectively, that doesn't make me happy...at all.:mad: :rolleyes: To crown it all, the locals here start running around gibbering, like headless chickens, any time the weather hits below 60, I kid you not saying "It's freezing, oh my God, it's soooooo cold".

As they say, silence is golden. And patience is a virtue. :p ;)

Novella

Practically Family
LadyStardust said:
To crown it all, the locals here start running around gibbering, like headless chickens, any time the weather hits below 60, I kid you not saying "It's freezing, oh my God, it's soooooo cold".

That's a California thing too (at least the places I've lived).

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
WINTER? What winter? Here in Georgia we haven't gotten our winter yet, and I don't think we're going to get one either. The bugs are going to be horrible this summer!!!!!

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
Anyone else tired of winter?

Personally I like winter.Why,just the other day I had a snowball fight with one of my brothers and two sisters.I think that if it is going to be cold that we should have snow though.I guess that I never quite grew up-I love sledding and snowball fights!It's fun and healthy (as long as you dress warmly and have good traction on your boots).

Miss Match

New in Town
I was happy this morning. The snow was mostly melted from the sidewalks on the way to school. It was gone from the main roads. It was warm enough that I was only wearing two shirts!

By one o'clock, WHITEOUT. The play I was going to see tonight was cancelled, because the theatre is snowed in. The weather up here is a freaking TEASE!!!!

Is it spring yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy