Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone own the Levi's LVC 1930 Menlo Cossack Jacket?

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone own/has owned/handled the Levi's reproduction of the 1930 Menlo Cossack jacket? It would appear that it's made from goatskin and is unlined.

If you have the Rin Tanaka book (Motorcycle Jackets: A century of leather jackets) it would be like the ones on p. 12 & 13. It actually looks more like the A-1 style jacket by Simmons Bilt, Oakland on p. 12.

Here's a link to the jacket from Levi's European shop: http://shop.eu.levi.com/GuysTopsJackets/703080001/-1930-s---

I thought it's nice, but very DEAR!!! :eek:

I wonder how it looks like in the flesh? Would appreciate those who know more than having seen the pics.

Thanks in advance
Blethook

Twit

One of the Regulars
There's a Levi shop just round the corner from my office (Covent Gdn); I'm next in on Friday so will pop out and have a look.

It is really expensive and I would have thought you would get better elsewhere. You could probably get one made for not much more!

blethook

One of the Regulars
yes it's VERY expensive...

Twit said:
There's a Levi shop just round the corner from my office (Covent Gdn); I'm next in on Friday so will pop out and have a look.

It is really expensive and I would have thought you would get better elsewhere. You could probably get one made for not much more!

...especially given that it's unlined (but that's how it was made back in the 30s - supposedly).

There are only a couple of places that sell this jacket from what I can find online. At the moment it looks like £500 is the lower one, the other place sells it for £570.00!! Perhaps I ought to wait till clearance price is in effect :D

Let me know what you think after handling it if you do go...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Twit said:
But remember, custom made isn't Authentic!

I'm being a little sarcastic, yes. But -
a. Some guys (especially clothing otaku) are all about the proprietary, Industrial Age features such as snaps and zips and tanning processes.
b. You just try to get a copy made of anything from 1930. All but the very, very best tailors will cross their arms and shake their heads. Techniques have changed that much, and the tailoring business itself has mostly changed from "bespoke" to "we know what you want better than you do."

blethook

One of the Regulars
Tried it on: Nothing but disappointment

Hi all,

Managed to try it on, and I have to say it's nothing like I'd imagined:

First of all, it's more of a fashion/fad jacket, probably targetting those in their 20s - definitely not Aero quality...

Not even close to replicating the original 1930 motorcycle jacket it's supposed to emulate (except for the fact it's unlined). The medium size fit is TIGHT even for me (I'm 5'7", 40" chest, & 145 lbs. 32" waist) I was able to button up but only the bottom 2 :D and that is it. The arms are TIGHT as well...definitely more for teenagers...

Oh well, at least I know now (& so do you)...

The worst part is that the jacket is made in Turkey (definitely not worth £500!!!) :eusa_doh:

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
If you're a size L - theres something like that on ebay - old avirex thats flagged as A-2 which its definitely not, its got a belted back and a bit longer model.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I don't know what it is, but I don't like the way it looks at all. To me it screams 80's, not 30's. [huh]

Looked at it again, sorta better. Something looks off though, any suggestions?

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I have one of the LVC Menlo jackets that were made in Portugal in 2005. It's a size small and fits like a perfect size 38. Can't quite tell if the leather is buffalo or goatskin, but it's unevenly-grained, thin but very dense. Great jacket, fooled a few vintage collectors and dealers who usually know better.
The new version looks it is made from a softer leather, and much more brown whereas the 2005 version is a neutral tannish color.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Here's a scan of the originals from the Rin Tanaka book I was referring to

This must be the main jacket they're trying to emulate:

MenloCossakLevi.jpg

However on the original it looks like they've got slashed pockets instead of patch pockets (like the A-1).

So perhaps they combine it with this design (Simmons Bilt):
simmonsbiltjacket.jpg

To get to their LVC repro design...

However after trying it on, I must say it's nothing like I'd imagined. They've also pre-washed the (goatskin) leather to create the wrinkle/worn effect which I think makes it look cheap.

I must it's definitely a fad item targetting those in their 20s-30s and the sizing is skin tight... not a faithful replica, in my opinion...

blethook

One of the Regulars
MudInYerEye said:
Here's mine, again it's the 2005 model not the current version:

Looks nice and it doesn't look like they pre-wash the leather...The pockets look a lot like jeans back pockets though.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned it's not the jacket I had imagined...

Glad I managed to try it on & find out for myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot