Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone with a corduroy lined jacket?

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
Lightweight corduroy, the sort used for corduroy shirts/unlined shirt jackets, would likely work, though it would probably be best to use the wrong side rather than the pile side in the sleeves because it's a lot smoother.

Lots of fabrics might be warm, but many of them are not desirable in the sleeves as they can "stick" on your shirts/sweaters when donning/doffing.
Heavy drill lining is very difficult (for me) with my heavier cotton winter type shirts.
Tartan or rayon are much easier, but not as warm. But a leather jacket (sans fleeces) are not really meant to be cold weather gear, per se. So layering is important and getting the jacket on/off can be a chore with the wrong lining in the sleeves. Most of us have experienced it and you'll tire of it quickly.

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Butte, thank you and others for your sage replies. My old soft cowhide jacket with satin lining in the body and sleeves I had for many years slips on and off, but conducts the chill quickly to the point of every time the mercury dropped I swore I would get something different. I don't mind my jackets with cotton drill, but cord or moleskin I suspect could be different animals in the sleeves, I'm not sure. More surface area = more warmth but I don't have experience to say if the increased friction on sleeves would be annoying or not.

Lots of fabrics might be warm, but many of them are not desirable in the sleeves as they can "stick" on your shirts/sweaters when donning/doffing.
Heavy drill lining is very difficult (for me) with my heavier cotton winter type shirts.
Tartan or rayon are much easier, but not as warm. But a leather jacket (sans fleeces) are not really meant to be cold weather gear, per se. So layering is important and getting the jacket on/off can be a chore with the wrong lining in the sleeves. Most of us have experienced it and you'll tire of it quickly.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Maybe I'm wrong, but I've found putting on jackets over corduroy shirts to be very frustrating due to how much they grab the jacket lining. I would assume the opposite to be true also. I want a jacket that is as easy as possible to put on and take off.

Peacoat

Bartender
I don't mind my jackets with cotton drill, but cord or moleskin I suspect could be different animals in the sleeves, I'm not sure. More surface area = more warmth but I don't have experience to say if the increased friction on sleeves would be annoying or not.

I just tried on one of my Aeros with corduroy in the sleeves. There is no increased friction to be concerned about. It helps if one holds the cuff of the shirt sleeve while putting the jacket on, but isn't absolutely necessary. It is a nice warm lining for a sleeve.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think I recall Denny Calder telling me that corduroy sleeve lining has to be done a certain way with the "nap'" being in a favorable position when placing the arms through the sleeves so that if any "grabbing" occurs, it occurs when removing the jacket rather than putting it on.

I have a lot of heavy cotton western shirts that grab like a mother in cord or drill (heavy drill).
I'd guess as @Fanch says that the orientation of the cord matters. Dunno, I love cord but not for me in a jacket sleeve...

Peacoat

Bartender
I just checked the orientation of the corduroy in my Thunder Bay, the one I tried on earlier. The cord runs the length of the sleeve. I can certainly see that it could cause a problem if the cord was installed around the circumference of the sleeve.

I also checked the nap of the fabric. Mine is nappier while putting the arm in the sleeve than it is in taking it out. In other words the nap is rougher while inserting the arm than it is while taking it out of the sleeve. I would have thought it would have been just the opposite--easier going in, and more friction (grabbing as Fanch said) while coming out.

bepoq

New in Town
I picked up a longeshoreman from Aero's used section some years ago, and they'd corduroyed the lower half of the body as a repair. I really liked it, thought it was nicer feeling than the rest of the jacket. And then I was a complete idiot and let it go. I still regret that jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot