Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AO Sirmonts - [American Optical]

sidi86

New in Town
Hi All,

This is my first post and hopefully not my last.

For the last 2months I have been searching for some American Optical AO Sirmont frames. I absolutely love them.

I'm looking for the G- Man horn rimmed vintage frames.

Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction. Or have any for sale.

I have come across a company in Japan that do replicas but 1. They are replicas 2. They are pretty expensive replicas. I don't mind replicas but see point 2.

I do look forward to hearing from you

Regards

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
5680-2FRNT.jpg

Suron Escapades are close
front.jpg

REV-BLACK-BRIAR--CAT_LG.jpg

Shuron REVELATIONthis model has the wood grain pattern.

The original Sirmonts can go for big money now on eBay.
Also with the plastic frames they can be delicate to wear everyday due to the age of the frame.

Last edited:

sidi86

New in Town
Hi, TheWiseHatter,

Thank you for your reply. I have looked into these and have looked into Shurons but I'm even more adamant that i want some AO Sirmonts.

Any help would be grateful

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Your best bet is looking at places like eBay, etsy, etc. Sirmonts are among some of the most sought after vintage eyeglass frames, and I've seen then go on eBay for three digits. That being said, I've also seen them go on eBay for $40 when the person selling them didn't realize what they were, and listed them as something else. My tips:

1) When looking for them, always start with a search for "Shuron." People think that browline glasses = Shuron glasses, and they'll list any brand of browlines as being "Shuron." I've seen Sirmonts, Bausch and Lomb frames, etc. all listed as "Shuron glasses."

2) "Browline glasses," "browline frames," "combination glasses," "Combination frames," "Malcolm X glasses," and "G-man frames" are also all viable search options

3) Contact Mr. Ed Welch of Ed Welch's Antique Eyeglasses. http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/. He may be able to help you out.

By the way, how much do those Japanese repros go for? I found the page a few months ago but never got around to actually contacting them.

sidi86

New in Town
Good Morning MisterGrey and Dixon Cannon

Thank you for your replies

@MisterGrey. Thank you soo much for your advice. I will start broadening my search definitions to encompass all the above. It makes sense. I thought I was being thorough but I obviously wasn't.

The replicas were from a company called BJ. in Japan I believe. They were looking for 2400Yen. Which equates to £204 ish. I don't mind paying triple digits but as a student I'd rather hold out for the real deal if I have to commit that much. Also the browline panels seemed rather small in comparison to the originals.

@Dixon Cannon. Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it doesn't return any results for me. But I'll keep trying with it.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I would keep checking Dxon's link as this is what eBay will return if there is no listing.
As Mr grey said expect to pay 260 to 350 for the frames you want.
Good Luck in your search.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Wise hatter makes an excellent point in re: plastics. Despite its durability, zyl does not stand up to constant reheating/adjustment over sustained periods of time. The used frames in really good condition are those that were only lensed once, or only occasionally relensed over a period of several years, with minimal adjustments in the interim. Frames that had new lenses put in year after year with multiple adjustments over the same period would likely not be in wearable condition today. This doesn't matter so much with browlines, as the brow portions usually needed to be removed in order to be relensed (as opposed to solid zyl frames which always required some sort of heating/cooling), so they're spared some of the abuse. HOWEVER... Constant exposure to temperature changes over time (ie, the frames being in non-climate controlled storage for 20-40+ years) can lead to the plastic shrinking around the frame and then cracking, which has befallen a good number of vintage browlines.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Also... when searching, BEWARE the term "vintage." Many sellers, either unscrupulously or out of ignorance, will list brand-new merchandise or merchandise that's only a few years old as being "vintage." Note the proliferation of "vintage" Shuron Revelations, even though Shuron has only been marketing it for the past 6-7 years or so. Since you're fine with repros this isn't so much a concern, but it is something to be aware of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart