Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate Dress to Wear As Wedding Guest. Black? Red?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I think it really depends on what kind of a wedding it is. I understand that it is very chic to wear black to formal evening weddings, though traditionally it is a no-no.

The later in the day it is, and the more formal it is, the better your chance that black would be ok. If it is a daytime church wedding, I personally wouldn't go with black, but that's my take on things.

I hope that helps!

zaika

One Too Many
KittyT - I did use the search function, but the threads that came up didn't really discuss acceptable colors. But, I've been known to have selective blindness...so...I might have missed it. Will go back and look again. ;)

Thank you for your suggestions. If my black Chinese dress gets here in time, I may just wear that with a colorful shawl, colorful jewellry and leave it at that. Although...I don't even know at what time of the day it is. *sigh* My stepdad had no other info than the fact that it is on Saturday and he'll pick me up. :rolleyes:
Going through my wardrobe in my head, I think that I might have a pair of nice white flared pants that, coupled with a vintage style belted top that is green and white, could look alright. I could wear black pumps and a cardigan to break up the white, perhaps.

*goes back to search archives again*

zaika

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
My French grandmother wore black to my mom's noontime wedding. It was a not-so-subtle hint that she didn't approve of my (American) dad. Nonetheless, the dress had a chic cut, and grandma did wear a diamond pin with it. :rolleyes:

haha! so, i guess the suggestion is to only wear black if you disapprove? lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
These days, seems like every other new thread touches upon the search function issue.

Miss Neecerie rightly pointed out that doing a GOOGLE search for "fedora lounge" + "[insert your topic of choice]" can be more effective than the Lounge's own search function.

Actually there is also now a handy dandy pictoral guide to how to do the google advanced.

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=21301

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
These days, seems like every other new thread touches upon the search function issue.

Miss Neecerie rightly pointed out that doing a GOOGLE search for "fedora lounge" + "[insert your topic of choice]" can be more effective than the Lounge's own search function.

Also, instructions for using Google to search FL are posted in the Observation Bar.

It might make more sense for those instructions to be posted in the Fedora Lounge FAQ...

wedding belle

Familiar Face
the last 2 weddings

I've been to I wore black an it was fine in both cases. I add a colourful pashmina (claret for one and baby blue for the other) to give a bit of contrast. In both cases the dresses were 3/4 length and fitted. As a soon to be bride we have made it clear that anything goes - for me it's really important that people feel comfortable. Some are dressing a little vintage, others will wear jeans no doubt.

On the subject of bridesmaids - all our girls are wearing their favourite party dresses and then adding fun stuff from a box of tricks I've put together - tiaras, clips, gloves etc and some fantastic feather fans..... Should be a sight to behold :)

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I'm at a wedding this saturday. The bride and groom have already had a '40s style' wedding but this is for family and friends in church.
I am wearing black suede 40s peep toes with this dress and a black pashmina (I know they're out but they hide my Dockers arms!)
My hair will be set on big curlers to get a bouncy 50s look, but the look is more vintage inspired than true 'vintage'
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l146/katiespitfire/monsoon-green.jpg

HollyGolightly

New in Town
Wedding Fashion Help.

Hello Ladies.

This post is actually for my mama. My brother is getting married on Feb. 9th, I'm a brides maid so no cool vintage dresses for me :( . My mom doesn't know what to wear though so I suggest something vintage and different because she would look good and it would be fun ^_^.

Any suggestions on color, cut and the etiquette for a step mom.

She’s 5’5. 150 pounds. Brown eyes, Brown hair with blonde streaks. Medium skin tone.

Any suggestions are welcome ^_^

Thank you.

HollyGolightly

New in Town
my dress is victorian lilac

let me see if i can get the link for the picture.

i dont know if i'm allowed to do this.....

2a.jpg

if it doesn't work then maybe this:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Agent1165/?action=view&current=2a.jpg

thats the brides maids dress. ^_^

sorry for the awful spelling and grammer. I'm typing one handed. due to i just painted my nails ^_^

waingirl

One of the Regulars
My husband and I just got married on Sept. 8th. We had a "Casablanca" themed wedding. Here's some pics. This is my attempt at Veronica Lake hair. It was very humid that day, I am surprised it stayed in place! I beaded about 30 lampshades to look like the lamps in Rick's Cafe. Our wedding program's looked like passports. We used vintage Paris postcards for our RSVP's. The bridesmaids wore different black floorlength gowns, with cute platform peeptoe heels. (found the shoes at Marshall's) I can't wait till the professional pictures come in!!:D

with Jeff's grandparents-
brodelswedding002pt4.jpg

brodelswedding009nj8.jpg

my shoes-
dscf0129mz7.jpg
bridesmaids shoes-
dscf0135zf0.jpg

my lampshades, before and after-
dscf0146cw8.jpg
dscf0143na3.jpg

katylouise

New in Town
I'm sure several people have seen my various posts about what I'm wearing to my best friend's wedding a week from this Friday. I'm doing 1940's, but I'm trying to go low-key, easily translatable 40s style so that it doesn't appear too costume-y; because I will be the only one dressing head to toe vintage and I hate to upstage my gorgeous friend on her wedding day! It's a casual affair, dockside and then a 4 hour cruise through Galveston Bay, so dressy dressy is not really the thing anyway. I'm wearing a beautiful cotton eyelet 1940s blouse and cotton linen 40s jacket with rhinestone buttons and I'll probably buy a modern *vintage-inspired* :p skirt to match the jacket. Finished off with a nice hat (which I'm on the hunt for this weekend!) and some nice 40s style pumps, I think I'll look pretty swish!

Weddings always stress me out so much! Even if I'm not involved in the planning, it's such a hassle figuring out what to wear...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy