Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aquascutum

Jack Traeger

New in Town
Aquascutum is the only way to for a real trenchcoat. It's a buy it once
proposition. I own two, and they wear like iron. Gotta disagree with
M K. I've also owned London Fog, and they were OK, before the
company started making products offshore, now they manufacture for
a number of store brands as well. The quality just isn't what it was.
Aquascutum has been making trenchcoats in the same factory for close to
100 years. The tailoring and fit is unmatched. Upper end Bailey hats are
one of the better buys for fedoras. You're right WW II brought about
a lot of style, especially in the post war period. Hope it will return.
I remember my dad, never leaving the house without his fedora.
Wool felt in the winter, panama in the summer. What happened to us?

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I agree with everything you say about the quality of Aquascutum clothing, but a quick perusal of the UK business pages will show that the company is hanging on by its financial finger tips. Yet another quality UK company (industry?) in danger of 'going to the dogs'. The lesson seems to be; sell fashion-oriented crap made in a cheap wage area.

dr greg

One Too Many
top shelf

I own both Aquascutum and Burberry trenchcoats, and the big A is superior in the most basic sense, as in keeping the water out. Sad to hear they are going the way of all quality goods these days. But how can manufacturers compete with China, you have to look long and hard to find clothing that isn't made there these days. A one-party capitalist state...unbeatable as a market force.

pablocham

One of the Regulars
agree on the quality of aquascutum. I have two, one is the traditional trench; the other is a long raincoat that can be zipped up into one of its internal pockets. I have had a few burberry's and the reason I always sell them is because I always reach for the aquascutum.

Mojito

One Too Many
I always think of Captain L E G Oates of Antarctic fame when I see references to Aquascutum - there's a lovely description of him always wearing 'his battered Aquascutum'.

He might not have been much of a man to emulate in terms of dress, but he certainly had inimitable panache in showing how to die.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nice score.

That's my favorite raincoat style.......and for $9.99!?!? :eusa_doh:

Edward

Bartender
lol

I've handled both; I preferred my Burberry, but a sample of one proves nothing. Both are considerably out of my price range new - eBay is my friend.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yes, I was in China and Hong Kong in May and the news was that their distribution chain was going down. As a major market for for their products, this seemed to signal the end. They were in enough difficulties in their home market anyway. A sad business.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I just did! Not a raincoat, but a beautiful houndstooth sport coat that fits like it was made for me. Only $5 at the local Goodwill store. The (potentially) bad news is in the form of several brown spots of unknown origin. I'll know by next Tuesday if my trusty dry-cleaners have succeeded in bringing this coat back from the brink. If not, I'll have the nicest looking work and chore jacket around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda