Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there any universally liked actors/actresses?

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Not a classic (yet), but I've never heard anyone having a grudge against Mariska Hargitay (incidentally, she's Jayne Mansfield's daughter).
hargitay6-sized.jpg

But maybe I'm just a huge SVU nut :rolleyes: :eek:

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love her. She gave a lovely speech when she won a Golden Globe and her dad was in the audience. The other actresses nominated were all good, as I recall, and my dad and I clearly saw one of them say "I'm so glad she won" as the camera showed each of them as Mariska walked to the stage. She has a beautiful speaking voice, so rare today.

LadyStardust said:
Not a classic (yet), but I've never heard anyone having a grudge against Mariska Hargitay (incidentally, she's Jayne Mansfield's daughter).
IIRC*, she's a pistolera too--hard to argue with a lady who shoots!lol

*IIRC--my memory can be a little fuzzy on celebrities at times, as I don't get so deeply sucked into caring what they think/do as most...

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I'm not sure any actor or actress can be classified as universally liked. Just about everyone has their share of detractors.

I personally love Elvis movies. They were good for what they were - very light-hearted entertainment. I thought he did well in them, and was a much better actor than people give him credit for. I don't believe he was ever allowed to pursue the rolls that would have proven that, as he wanted to do.

He was up for the male lead in A Star Is Born but The Colonel talked him out of it.

-MC

jake431

Practically Family
Jimmy Stewart has got to be close to universally liked. I personally think it's hard to find fault in Christian Bale's acting. Doesn't seem like a jagoff either.

-Jake

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Spencer Tracy portrayed characters with such naturalness, such ease, that you almost forget you are watching a performance - he simply is the man he is playing.
In an era when movie stars found their niches and repeated their popular roles with only minor changes, Tracy ranged from sportswriter, convict or patriarch to war hero, fisherman, judge or priest. He could be hilarious in comedy, frightening in anger, tender in love scenes.
Tracy could do it all, and he did it better than anyone else before or since.

Katie Brookes

One of the Regulars
LadyStardust said:
hargitay6-sized.jpg

i love her because she's Jayne Mansfied's daughter. good actress too.

bmh89_1512.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
I scrolled through and don't recall seeing Jeff Bridges mentioned. I think he is a great character actor, and if he keeps going, may end up on par with Robert Duvall (already mentioned by plenty of others).

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
beaucaillou said:
humphrey bogart?

cate blanchett?

cary grant?

Not sure about the first two but I know a lot of people that worked that grant couldn't stand him because of his perfectionist attitude.

It doesn't bother me none and it is obviously necessary to have someone that pays attention to detail I was just throwing out the fact that there may be sides of different actors we don't get to see.

barra063

Familiar Face
I just quickly scrolled through the thread and apologise If these were mentioned and I just missed them.

Lucille Ball
Fred MacMurray
Robert Young

balgal

New in Town
Which one do you like as a silent film star who played a vamp:

Theda Bara, Pola Negri, Clara Bow. Or any others that come to mind?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
jake431 said:
Jimmy Stewart has got to be close to universally liked. I personally think it's hard to find fault in Christian Bale's acting. Doesn't seem like a jagoff either.

-Jake

Christian Bale is the definition of "jagoff".....

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Rafter said:
The entire "Our Gang"!
LILRASCALS.jpg

BTW, Stymie's trademark bowler was actually one of comedian Stan Laurel's hats which accounts for it's oversize.

Dickie Moore, second from the right, and next to Spanky, is the only survivor of this group and is married to Jane Powell!

I also met Stymie at the old Columbia Ranch (and got his autograph). Gentle man who went through his difficult times in life, but was well liked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24