Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there no hatters in Europe???

milandro

A-List Customer
I suppose that the industry of “ the Mountain Hat makers” was born out of the necessity to productively occupy the winter season when the fields were full of snow and the herds were brought some place else. A similar situations gave birth to the Italian musical instruments industry in a minute village , Quarna sotto. Few realize that this climatic and economic situation gave also birth to the Swiss watchmakers.

Actually I was toying with this idea too. I understand that the craft is difficult (like most crafts really, I have been a professional photographer for over 30 years and I know all too well that what looks easy from the outside isn’t all that easy from inside...) and that it not something that one could do in one day, yet, besides an certain amount of equipment needed (which even if kept slim, is a considerable investment) one would need to gain some experience at a shop not only a workshop which is lasting few weeks and few hours a week.

You can source NEW or secondhand machinery in Italy (for example)

http://www.giuseppemichelagnoli.com/indexEn.html#company

“..Felt Hood Stretcher - Felt Hood Lengthner - Steamer - Pouncing Machine - Fringing Machine - Felt blocking Machine - Decatising Machine/Plating Machine - Brim stretching machine - Veluring Machine - Stiffening Machine Hardening machine - Hood blocking machine - Pedal press to shape hats from flat material - Oil Pedal press suitablo for high pressure- Foot oprating Pedal press - Thermo Machine...."

But they are really expensive and would require more than a simple corner in a house.

There seems to be a lot of growth in the caps industry. Lots of machinery is available on line. Similarly, machines are available, for both hats and caps, made in China or Taiwan. Some of these companies offer also training courses.

There is no doubt that the industrial production is a different thing than the handcraft though .

In Italy (I speak several languages and Italian is my mother tongue) there have been recently courses for Hatmakers (AND Milliners) I could attend one of those (but I would have to spend few months somewhere very far...)

http://juliaservice.com/corsi/operatore-addetto-alla-realizzazione-di-cappelli/

I found this video (in Italian) about block and hat making

I’ve seen the shops of some top-tier men’s hatters. Most have a mix of new and vintage hat making equipment. I’ve never seen any hatter who has all (most?) of the equipment you listed. You can make excellent hats without a “brim stretching machine,” or a “felt hood lengthener.” You will need a crown ironing machine, sandbagger, and a few other items not mentioned including hundreds of blocks and flanges. If you’re interested, you can contact JW Hats in Utah where they have been training and equipping hatters for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

milandro

A-List Customer
Thanks, I will be looking first in the Netherlands since training in the States, nice as it may be , may prove even more costly to me than training in Italy.

I didn’t quote those machines out of my own knowledge but that was simply what this company has to offer

as I said, it is stuff for an industrial set-up, I am aware that a smaller shop may not need all this heavy machinery (I’ll just post a couple of examples)

Macchina%20Mod51.jpg
Universal%20560-12.jpg

These machines are used in the USA too, just
older machines

Thanks, I will be looking first in the Netherlands since training in the States, nice as it may be , may prove even more costly to me than training in Italy.

I didn’t quote those machines out of my own knowledge but that was simply what this company has to offer

as I said, it is stuff for an industrial set-up, I am aware that a smaller shop may not need all this heavy machinery (I’ll just post a couple of examples)

Macchina%20Mod51.jpg
Universal%20560-12.jpg

older machines

Ahh. More production line machines than something a custom hatter would use.

Have you seen the video posted this spring/summer where Art Fawcett makes a hat? It’s a pretty good start to finish video and shows the tools and machines used:

Pellie

One Too Many
Ahh. More production line machines than something a custom hatter would use.

Have you seen the video posted this spring/summer where Art Fawcett makes a hat? It’s a pretty good start to finish video and shows the tools and machines used:

That's a great video.

milandro

A-List Customer
Beautiful video, I’ve learned a lot. Thanks.

There were a lot of machines that the Hatter didn’t use to make this particular one off hat and very likely are reserved for a more intensive production than he had at this time. Since he announced his retirement the question would be who, if anyone, has taken over the shop and carried on the torch.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I suppose that the industry of “ the Mountain Hat makers” was born out of the necessity to productively occupy the winter season when the fields were full of snow and the herds were brought some place else. A similar situations gave birth to the Italian musical instruments industry in a minute village , Quarna sotto. Few realize that this climatic and economic situation gave also birth to the Swiss watchmakers.
In the Cervo valley, making hats goes back many years, in the post-Renaissance period, and has one reason: in Biella and the surrounding area, the spinning of the wool from which the large textile companies and hats that were made, as in all Alps, wool and some hair for luxury productions of hats. Alpine valleys have always had spinning mills, hence the production of hats. On the production of musical instruments Quarna below is an exception born in the last two hundred years. Musical instruments in Italy have been built in various cities and towns, but this is another story.

Macchina%20Mod51.jpg
Universal%20560-12.jpg

older machines
Bahner Hat Machines makes / restores Hat Wool and Fur Felt production machines in addition to Felt and Straw Hat production machinery.

http://www.hatmachines.com/default.asp?lg=gb

For example: Universal Fulling Machine, Multiroller

216_2_200.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful video, I’ve learned a lot. Thanks.

There were a lot of machines that the Hatter didn’t use to make this particular one off hat and very likely are reserved for a more intensive production than he had at this time. Since he announced his retirement the question would be who, if anyone, has taken over the shop and carried on the torch.

The last I heard, no one has come through with the financing to buy the shop. If run well it should continue to be a profit maker, but small business ventures are so risky I don’t blame banks for being cautious. I do hope it continues.

milandro

A-List Customer
I am sure that it is possible to run this traditional business profitably, but expectations to pass on the business sometimes are above realistic because the risk factor can easily be underestimated while the possibility of revenue is very often overestimated.

Relying on banks to finance one’s activity is very difficult everywhere, they tend to be wanting to lend money only to people whom don’t really need it ;)

milandro

A-List Customer
well, I suppose that one may connect the sale of the business to him remaining in an advisory capacity for some time to oversee that the production stays close to his vision and tradition. If one were to buy something like that, one would have to insure that the transition would not be abrupt.

well, I suppose that one may connect the sale of the business to him remaining in an advisory capacity for some time to oversee that the production stays close to his vision and tradition. If one were to buy something like that, one would have to insure that the transition would not be abrupt.

Art is off to Florida and I don’t know that he has any interest in sticking around in any capacity (not that I have any personal knowledge of this). I think he’s looking to make a clean break. Ideally, the purchaser would have been shadowing Art these last several months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy