Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help needed - zipper replacement (EU)

Despot

Familiar Face
Hey Loungers,

TL;DR - does anyone have a recommendation for someone who is good at replacing zippers on RMC J-24 in the EU?

Long version
The new fit J-24 I bought back in June no longer zips shut. The teeth seem to have been loose from the get go and are now so misaligned that it just unzips itself when the zip pull is all the way up.

I’ve contacted the store where it was purchased (EU based - not RMC in the UK) asking for a recommendation and I’ve gotten radio silence (and all I was looking for was someone they’d recommend - not for them to pay for it! Last time I’ll buy from them).

Anyone have any line on a good repairer? UK doesn’t work unfortunately as I’m in Ireland and I’d end up having to pay customs fees on the jacket to send it for repairs (I’m pretty sure).

Thanks
K

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
No, no one good, unfortunately.

My best advice would be to check with local shoemakers/shoe repair shops.
Mine did a decent job for a reasonable price, after two expensive fails involving sending around a jacket across Europe.
I’d strongly recommend sourcing the zipper yourself first, otherwise you’d likely end up with something truly awful.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
The answer I got from ridersroom.de:

Yes, we´re able to replace your zipper:

we´ve to replace the complete zipper, not just one side.
We´re gonna use an oem zipper and our service is well experinced in that,
he may use the exact stitching holes as original.
It may take 3 weeks after receiving you jacket,
we´ll charge 120€ plus shipping (estimated 25€)

We are not an Vanson authorized service anymore but we are replacing zippers for all our brands: Vanson, Aeroleather, Schott
You´re free to find a service in Estonia yourself , maybe you´ll save some time and money as well,
but we´re glad to help you, we just want to be fair.

That's one option..
Please share the place in Poland @Will Zach !

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
I once bought a brand new McCoys J24L which, out of the box, wouldnt zip up properly - the zipper would just come apart half or a third of the way up - it was completely useless, and I probably should have returned it directly to RMC and got a replacement, but Id been waiting for so long for a J24L in my size to come up I decided to try and fix it myself. I got a pair of pliers and carefully gave the box of the pull tab a a firm but gentle squeeze so that it was slightly narrower than before on the side that the teeth feed into - this worked and the zipper then did up without any issues at all from then on, until I sold it because I put on too much weight. May be worth giving that a go if the zippers go to be replaced anyway?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I think I found them through Lukasz as well. Since then they did couple of my jackets, taking in and shortening sleeves and zipper replacements. All flawless. Tell them they have to hit the old stitch holes and they will do it. I would just make sure I get a good quality repro (or vintage) zipper if it was my J-24.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Hey Loungers,

TL;DR - does anyone have a recommendation for someone who is good at replacing zippers on RMC J-24 in the EU?

Long version
The new fit J-24 I bought back in June no longer zips shut. The teeth seem to have been loose from the get go and are now so misaligned that it just unzips itself when the zip pull is all the way up.

I’ve contacted the store where it was purchased (EU based - not RMC in the UK) asking for a recommendation and I’ve gotten radio silence (and all I was looking for was someone they’d recommend - not for them to pay for it! Last time I’ll buy from them).

Anyone have any line on a good repairer? UK doesn’t work unfortunately as I’m in Ireland and I’d end up having to pay customs fees on the jacket to send it for repairs (I’m pretty sure).

Thanks
K

Friend, Why not doing it yourself? Truly is not that hard. However, Can you just replace the slider? It appears to me that the slider is not locking in place. I have used #5 original talons on RMC before and they do work. However, is the teeth are weak, perhaps only the male side can be replace because it can be resewn with out removing the lining. In final thoughts, the zipper holes are there, all you need to do is practice sewing a bit and you will be golden.

Despot

Familiar Face
I once bought a brand new McCoys J24L which, out of the box, wouldnt zip up properly - the zipper would just come apart half or a third of the way up - it was completely useless, and I probably should have returned it directly to RMC and got a replacement, but Id been waiting for so long for a J24L in my size to come up I decided to try and fix it myself. I got a pair of pliers and carefully gave the box of the pull tab a a firm but gentle squeeze so that it was slightly narrower than before on the side that the teeth feed into - this worked and the zipper then did up without any issues at all from then on, until I sold it because I put on too much weight. May be worth giving that a go if the zippers go to be replaced anyway?
That’s a good idea actually. The issue seems to be with teeth on the tape being slightly loose - they don’t align properly to close when zipped… not sure it’s an issue with the zipper pull but worth a try to see if it helps

Despot

Familiar Face
Thanks everyone.

I took a chance and went to a local cobbler. He took a look at it and was about to recommend a leather tailor, but then thought “I might be able to try something if you can leave it with me overnight”.

So I did. He replaced the zipper itself, leaving the teeth/tapes in place. He used a fairly standard YKK zipper (thankfully brass and not that obtrusive, though more modern looking naturally).

It’s perfect. It zips shut perfectly every time, teeth aligning perfectly.

So clearly the issue with these isn’t the tape - it’s the zipper pull itself, which seems to be causing the alignment issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner