Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are there no long ovals left?

Bret4207

New in Town
I can't help it. Due to some weird birth defect or all that time I spent sticking my noggin between fence rails, I'm a long oval. A 7 1/4" is a little too tight, a 7 3/8" a little loose. Will a hat stretcher shaped to a long oval help me? I'm no fashion plate, I wear hats because of the dreaded skin cancer. A hat is a tool to me. I'm tired of having half my face frozen off every 6 months. So a little pucker won't cause me to convulse. Will it work?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
The stretcher will help but I don't know how long it stays. If you wear it enough it will shape to your head. In the end though for me at least the best and best fitting answer was to have Art make a custom as I am apparently an extra long oval and when I put one of his hats on it just drops right on, perfect shape!
Any custom hatter can make you a long oval though and we have some great ones here!

You can put foam or felt strips inside the sweatband to tighten up the loose one.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Dunking a hat that fits pretty well, aside from the long oval part, and then wearing it off and on as it dries, will often result in a much better fit.

Anj

Feraud

Bartender
Speaking on a practical level I would suggest you skip the hat gadgets and custom route and wear the 7 3/8. If it is slightly loose you can stuff a piece of foam in the sweatband to adjust the fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy