Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are You a "Serious" Collector? The Categorization of Fedora Loungers.

Edward

Bartender
I self-identify as a dieselpunk. I start from 1930ish, incorporating what I like from the era, and what I like from the years between then and now, ignoring that for which I don't care. My preferred clothing styles all fall within the period 1930 to about 1956 (that point in the mid-late fifties when lapels had gone narrow but trousers were yet to follow suit (though I love the Ted look too). I'm more inclined to reproduction and selected modern pieces cut to a vintage pattern for the simple reason of availability: I can't yet afford to go bespoke, and true vintage is rarely available in my size. I enjoy the music of the period, but I also find much to enjoy in music recorded in all periods since. I outgrew the bondage trousers some years ago, but I will always have the heart and soul of a punk. I enjoy the history of the period, though I find the lead into and aftermath of the war more interesting than the history of the conflict itself. Given time and enough money, my flat will be a mix of the periods the style of which I most enjoy - 30s, 40s, 50s. Which is to say I'll take a nominal point as at 1959 and include any style I like from that date backwards, as well as post 1959 elements with, where possible, a 40s/50s retro-futurist styling. My wahing machine is a good case in point: it has very much a 50s sci-fi look to it. My dishwasher is concealed behind a panel that matches the rest of the kitchen, which is in a very retro style. It's a fairly modern take on a Shaker style that wouldn't be entirely alien to anyone from that period.

I've never wanted to go back and live in the 40s and 50s (or even live my life in a pretence of such), but there's plenty from those years that I'm not prepared to reject in favour of what is around now just for the sake of it.

I can completely identify with this.

I often feel like I was born in the wrong era because I identify with the previous era a lot better, but not because I pretend the previous era was somehow "better" (although I could give some subjective rants).

I grew up in an old farming community. Most of the people I grew up with were old farmers whose lives had changed little since the fifties. Their values, styles, interests, tastes, etc, all reflected that fact very plainly. My closest neighbors, who would watch my siblings and I when we were young, were born right around 1919. Midge and Wesley taught me a lot and were definitely old school folks. In fact, my youngest friend on the farm was born in 1948 lol

My parents are also fairly old-fashioned compared to most people their age and raised me with fairly strict moral and religious beliefs and I think that all of this had a huge impact on me and is a big factor in why I live my life 'in the past' as it were.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I am an illustrator, you know.

me too, or more accurately; i've done many 'illustrations' of varying types but for a living i'm a storyboard artist and animator. basically i draw.
there seems to be quite a lot of illustrators in vintage clothing circles. something to do with day dreaming images all day perhaps ?

as for the categorisation topic; i resist all attempts at categorisation.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I think this best describes me:
Period-Specific General Living Enthusiasts: Those who are greatly interested in all aspects of a specific time period but do not necessarily immerse themselves in those aspects.

I love the 40s and 50s and have since I was a teenager. I collect and wear vintage clothing, listen mostly to the music of that era, watch mainly movies from or about that era. I have a huge collection of WWII-era uniforms, gear, footlocker items, and accessories. That said, I wear modern clothing probably 75% of the time. I live in a 1950s house, but with a mesh of modern/classic & vintage decor and many modern conveniences such as a new refrigerator and washing machine. I watch Netflix on my flat TV and I listen to the 1940s channel on my XM satellite radio. :laugh: I drive a modern car, I eat lots of modern foods.

I am very interested (borderline obsessed, probably) with the 1940s-50s and I feel as though I was born in the wrong era, but I definitely don't "live vintage" 100% of the time.

Last edited:

rue

I would say that I'm a Period-Specific General Living Full-Timer but I guess I'm also a tiny little bit of a Period-Specific General Living Part-Timer. I live the lifestyle, dress vintage (40s/early 50s), drive a 54' Ford, and I listen to the music and watch the movies of the Golden Era. The only thing that makes me part of the other group is that I use a computer (as we all obviously do) and I watch new movies that have nothing vintage-y about them.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I use a computer (as we all obviously do) and I watch new movies that have nothing vintage-y about them.

If somebody here said they didn't use a computer, well.... I might suggest an intervention for their own safety. lol

I'd also add general history buff to my list. Although my interests in history mainly surround what is relevant to me- for instance, I don't really care about the history of some far off city (unless it parallels my place of living). However, my interests in history range much further back and further forward than the golden era.

Flicka

One Too Many
I'd also add general history buff to my list. Although my interests in history mainly surround what is relevant to me- for instance, I don't really care about the history of some far off city (unless it parallels my place of living). However, my interests in history range much further back and further forward than the golden era.

I'm the opposite; I don't much care for Swedish history at all. I suppose I over-loaded on it in school. Besides, it's boring. It pretty much goes like this:

SWEDISH HISTORY - the short version

pre-1100: People were Vikings. We made raids into Russia and ate turnips.

1100-1300. We fought the Danish and ate turnips. Some people got boils and died.

1500s: We got a heriditary kingdom. There were wars with Russia and Denmark. People ate turnips.

1600s: We fought the Russians and the Danes and ate turnips. We also drank a lot and killed a bunch of Germans. For some reason we sacked Prague but we could never quite figure out why.

1700s: We ate potatoes and drank a lot. Also, we fought the Russians and the Danes.

1800s: We lost Finland to Russia and won Norway from Denmark. We ate potatoes and drank a lot.

1850 -1910: We lost Norway. Peacefully. People ate potatoes and drank a lot. We occasionally spoke ill of the Russians.

1910-1950: The rest of the world went to war. Twice. We thought ill of the Russians but we didn't say anything. We just ate potatoes and watched.

1960: We discovered the sexual revolution. And had some more potatoes.

I much prefer to read about far off places to that... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner