Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you ever tired of explaining why you live or dress the way you do?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A backwards baseball cap is appropriate only if you're wearing the rest of the ensemble.

roy-campanella-ap2.jpg

And wearing it sideways only works if your best friend is named "Spanky."

tumblr_mdt8e96ui61rqm1vko1_400.jpg

Last edited:

MikeBravo

One Too Many
If my hairline retreats any further I may be faced with the choice of getting a rug or shaving my head -- no in-between for this lad! :p

I would never get a rug, they just don't work. Then again, how would one know it was a hairpiece if it DID work? You wouldn't be able to tell.

Shaving's not for me either. Once every 4-5 weeks I go to the barber and fork over $12 for a No. 1, and the job's done!

The advantage of losing my hair is I don't have to worry about my haircut. I always hated my hair as I could never get a cut I liked, it stuck up in spots and was a general nuisance. If I shaved my head, that would be inconvenient as I would have to shave every couple of days!

And as I wear hats, and have for some years now, sunburn is not a problem :)

If I ever lose my hair (thank God my genetics say I won't.) I would probably go with a rug or something. I'm not incredibly vain, but too vain to be bald, I guess!

Hopefully, by the time I would ever need to worry about it, they'll have some hair growth technology that actually works on the market.

Edward

Bartender
Maybe you're right. I just can't believe that they don't look at these styles, and think "Wow, this is not how an adult should dress." The amount of grown men in short pants, print T-shirts, and backwards baseball caps is incredible.

For those who view clothes are purely utilitarian, or at least as insignificant enough to warrant no other than following the herd, I can see why they wouldn't question the norm. It is true that what were once "adult" clothes are often now seen as "old man" clothes. Nature of fashion, I expect. I'll be very surprised (at least here i the UK) if there isn't some sort of backlash towards something more formal after so many years of ubercasual, though. I suspect that may well be at the root of a lot of the fashionability of quasi-vintage in some circles in recent years.

Also, shaved heads are very popular, here. Is that just a local thing or do others see a lot of it where they are?

Generational. Was a time when a shaved head made people assume you were in the National Front; a few years later they'd think you were gay. With Generation X and on, it has simply become a norm for those of us who lose our hair young to buzz it shorter and shorter, with many of us going for the full shave. Good thing too. Any an all supposed baldness cures are naught but snake oil, intended for those easily separated from their money. Sweepovers are hideous, and I ain't wearing a wig unless I'm in drag.

Shaved heads are fine, for those who have the shape of head for it. But if you look in the mirror and see Dr. Sivana looking back at you, maybe you might want to reassess the idea.

tumblr_m77w6fuVVK1r0d0lf.jpg

Actually, I look a lot like that. I like it, though.

I can give or take the backwards baseball cap on some of these young guys. Its the forward facing crooked cap that drive me crazy ... pointing the bill diagonally somewhere, but not directly forward. I can't watch a ball game either, if a pitcher wears his cap like that. *shudder*

Maybe some of them angle them like that due to the angle of the Sun (i.e. using the hat as intended)? Backwards always annoyed me. Even when I was eight.

A backwards baseball cap is appropriate only if you're wearing the rest of the ensemble.

Any baseball cap is appropriate only if you're wearing the rest of the ensemble.

I would never get a rug, they just don't work. Then again, how would one know it was a hairpiece if it DID work? You wouldn't be able to tell.

Ha! Fair point. I've worn a few for costume use here and there, but could never be bothered with it full time. I enjoy being bald. Would have been nice to have had the chance to go grey and have a quiff, but given the choice there's no way I'd go back to having hair now. Jinkies, I have an occasionally recurring nightmare about my hair growing back, and I hate it.

Shaving's not for me either. Once every 4-5 weeks I go to the barber and fork over $12 for a No. 1, and the job's done!

Eep. I could never leave mine that long. I shave it every other day, normally. Takes five minutes. Go a weekend without doing it and it doesn't feel clean.

If I shaved my head, that would be inconvenient as I would have to shave every couple of days!

Dead easy. Faster than my face, and infinitely less hassle than going to the barber.

And as I wear hats, and have for some years now, sunburn is not a problem :)

Yes, I started wearing a hat in the cold / wet and in the Sun many years ago, but since going full shave I simply never leave the front door without one.

Hopefully, by the time I would ever need to worry about it, they'll have some hair growth technology that actually works on the market.

Don't waste your money - they're all an over-priced con, never will be anything else.

My father-in-law is bald. He enjoys referring folks to Mr. Shakespeare - "Many a man hath more hair than wit!"

Aye, and there are those as are bald yet of whom one could say the same!

I reckon you're right. You'd think at some point they'd wanna stop dressing like kids, though. I hated dressing like a kid, even when I was a kid.

I also agree with your theory on the backlash against the overly casual fashions. The pendulum has to start swinging the other way at some point.

For those who view clothes are purely utilitarian, or at least as insignificant enough to warrant no other than following the herd, I can see why they wouldn't question the norm. It is true that what were once "adult" clothes are often now seen as "old man" clothes. Nature of fashion, I expect. I'll be very surprised (at least here i the UK) if there isn't some sort of backlash towards something more formal after so many years of ubercasual, though. I suspect that may well be at the root of a lot of the fashionability of quasi-vintage in some circles in recent years.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
One of my teens insists on wearing these really tight jeans that are halfway down his butt. I tell him repeatedly to pull up his pants. He just replies with "I can't. Skinny jeans are supposed to be worn on your hips." I got tired of it one day, threw him to the floor, and pulled them up so high his voice went pre-pubescent again. He tries to not let me notice he's wearing them like that anymore, but I figure I'm turning his room into an art studio in 5 months anyway. Good luck finding a job with skinny jeans, pony tail, and coke bottle glasses, boy.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
If I ever lose my hair (thank God my genetics say I won't.) I would probably go with a rug or something. I'm not incredibly vain, but too vain to be bald, I guess!

Ah, young Tom. That's what we all hoped when we were young. Alas, the one seemingly intractable mystery in our technologically advanced world is the cure for common baldness. As for me, I've reached the point that I'm very seriously considering the razor solution. :D

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Don't count on genetics. Both my grandfathers had full heads of hair until they died in their 80s and 90s. My father had a full head of hair when he died at 82. Both my brothers in their 40s have luxurious thick hair.

When I was young I had thick long hair too. Now? Have a look at my avatar

Worst case scenario, I will buy a rug lol

Don't count on genetics. Both my grandfathers had full heads of hair until they died in their 80s and 90s. My father had a full head of hair when he died at 82. Both my brothers in their 40s have luxurious thick hair.

Bugguy

Practically Family
I can give or take the backwards baseball cap on some of these young guys. Its the forward facing crooked cap that drive me crazy ... pointing the bill diagonally somewhere, but not directly forward. I can't watch a ball game either, if a pitcher wears his cap like that. *shudder*

Don't you love the crooked cap with the stickers still on the top and bottom of the bill? Coupled with "saggers" - the pants around the thighs as if you were in jail and your belt was taken away - the look is beyond hysterical. Give me a good old red and green mohawk any day,

Shangas

I'll Lock Up

Don't feel so bad, Mike. We still love you. Right guys?

I admit to having not read this thread. I'll catch up.

A while ago, I decided that the only answer worth giving to the "Why …" questions was "because I want to". Questioner either accepts, or doesn't, no skin off my nose. This doesn't mean that giggling and comments can't be hurtful, but I gave up justifying to myself and others. It is what it is. i don't actually know why I dress how I do, other than because I want to. Oh, us self-indulgent early generation Y-ers!

bk

Well, I'm at the transition. Depends who you believe. If Y started in the 80s, then I'm a late X-er, if in the late 70s (I've always timed it from Thatcher (booooooooooO!)) then I'm an early Y-er. I was born on the day "It" was elected. My mother claims the shock - and outright horror - forced me out quick-smart.:D

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I work in an academic office where the professors often wear polos, shorts, and sandals, let alone the students. So my slacks/dress shirt/good shoes combos stand out. On the day after the Saints won the Superbowl, I wore the only black-and-gold item of clothing I own, a handsome tie from Jos. A. Bank. At least three people asked me if I were going on a job interview later.

Aside from that, I don't get questions about my dress, other than the occasional "Man, where'd you get that hat??" Da Swamp is too full of eccentric characters for me to be noticed much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner